Defensive Carry banner

Built my first gun cabinet for a customer today

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  SAMI 
#1 ·
I work at a custom cabinet shop and build all sorts of interesting stuff day to day. Today I'm looking at the schedule and see a gun cabinet on the top of the list. I go grab the plans for it, and the whole time I'm thinking why anybody would want to build a gun cabinet out of wood. So I start building it and finished it up, and the customer came to pick it up a short time later. So why would anyone want to spend a couple hundred bucks on a cabinet made of wood that can be breached with just about any tool, when they could buy a gun safe made of steel for a couple hundred bucks more? Anyway It turned out very nice looking.

#3 ·
Because inside a safe room, a cabinet would look nicer?

That's just one possibility. When I grow up and finally settle down I plan on strengthening one room/area in the house as a safe room/firearm storage area. Inside of there I have been toying with the idea of wooden gun cabinets. Maybe he's thinking the same thing.

#4 ·
So why would anyone want to spend a couple hundred bucks on a cabinet made of wood that can be breached with just about any tool, when they could buy a gun safe made of steel for a couple hundred bucks more? Anyway It turned out very nice looking.
You answered your own question!

I'd like to see some pictures too if you got 'em.

#5 ·
I usually take pictures of what I build, but the customer was there to pick it up within 5 minutes of finishing it and I was very busy so... It was pretty basic small cabinet that holds 6 rifles and a few pistols. Wish I had pics. You can see stuff I built at
ADVANCE Cabinet Designs - Home
If any body wants a gun cabinet or something else we can work something out. If you can imagine it I can build it.

#7 ·
Just my humble opinion but the security of a $200 "safe" or a metal cabinet is only marginally better than a wood cabinet.

I have a vault-style safe for my firearms for security, If I want to show one off I remove it from the vault.

I admire fine cabinetry, but not for firearms unless I am running a museum.

#8 ·
Maybe the guys exterior structure is solid, difficult to breech, hence a custom wood cabinet for his firearms. It's his choice.

#12 ·
I'm in the same boat, pictures would give me ideas. But I think this concept would work for me maybe. Very interesting as each home has it's own complexities as mine does.

#13 ·
^ Agreed. My wife doesn't sound too excited about a gun cabinet, so i'm thinking that a book case with several hidden compartments could be the answer. False bottoms, fasle back, even a false molding drawer underneath the lowest shelf.. I like the idea of having a back up shotgun stowed away, and maybe a smaller compartment for a handgun. Ammo in another compartment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.