Beltman Problems

This is a discussion on Beltman Problems within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I am having an issue with my belt and wondered if any of you have had the same experience. I have an Elephant ...

Thread: Beltman Problems

Beltman Problems

Hello all, I am having an issue with my belt and wondered if any of you have had the same experience.

I have an Elephant belt by Beltman. It is black, 1.5" tapered down to 1.25", with 7 holes. My girlfriend bought it as a gift to me and I have been using it for approximately one month. I have always taken good care of it, never bending it too much or folding it backwards to buckle it.

My problem is that the black "permanent sealant" on the top edge of the belt is peeling off around the buckle. I have read many reports of Beltman belts looking as good as new after years of use, and mine looks worse after just a month. Is it normal for the sealant to peel off like this? Should I send it back?

Any input would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Something isn't right if it is wearing after only a few months. Now, it may have something to do with the exotic material. I don't know.

Call them right away. They will handle it. Even the best producers sometimes have one slip through.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Beltman has a great reputation. Give them a call, I'm sure they will make it right.

Be sure to let us know how things work out.

Also, welcome to the forum.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I will call them sometime today (not open yet).

I also noticed immediately when I received the belt that I would not consider the edges a "mirror finish" such as stated on his website. The leather under the sealant is quite rough and it shows through the sealant. I'm wondering if somehow they skipped the edge polishing step so the sealant didn't adhere properly.

Has anybody else had the sealant peel off?

I called beltman and got a secretary or something like that. She said I should follow the instructions on the care sheet and not "crank it over" when putting it on as that's probably what caused it. I have NEVER done that and told her so. She said Jim would call me back sometime this afternoon probably.

I guess we'll see what he says.... I'm a little annoyed at the moment though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaxPlayer View Post
    I called beltman and got a secretary or something like that. She said I should follow the instructions on the care sheet and not "crank it over" when putting it on as that's probably what caused it. I have NEVER done that and told her so. She said Jim would call me back sometime this afternoon probably.

I guess we'll see what he says.... I'm a little annoyed at the moment though.
    When he does, tell him he probably wants to correct his employee. It sounds like she came off rude.

Importantly, let them know that it wa becasue of this site that you acquired the belt. You may want to ask him to go on line and see this exchange! I am confident they will ask you without any hesitation to return the belt. I had the same thing happen to me. A new belt was shipped immediatley upon receiving mine.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i dont think youre going to have any problem at all getting satisfaction from them...they are a good company and it is my understanding they stand behind their products...

i'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the person who spoke with you was making a suggestion on how to prevent the concern and not accusing you of abusing the belt...sometimes when we're frustrated and we dont hear what we want it comes off as bad pr...give em a chance...theyll make good...

I don't feel the employee was very rude. Maybe a touch, but I'm sure she gets tired of people complaining that they abused their belt and it got a scratch. I was a little annoyed with the situation when I made that post, but I do not feel she needs to be talked to.

Jim said this happens on the shark belts usually because the leather is too slick for the edge finish to stick, but hasn't heard of it with an elephant one before. He suggested there may be a burr inside the buckle. I cannot see one and I may feel a slight one, I'm not really sure. I have my doubts that the edge was finished right the first time as the leather beneath isn't very slick and the black finish shows a rough texture beneath it all the way around the belt.

Jim suggested I either take it to a shoe repair place and have them use "heel black" on it, or sent it back to him. He said there would be no cost to me to redo the edges and change out the buckle for a new one at no cost to me (other than shipping it in), but this was said when he was thinking there was a burr. I'm not sure if I'll be charged or not if they decide there is not a burr and the edges were done properly the first time.

I'd rather not have somebody else meddle with it, so I'll call them back regarding details of returning it to be looked at and fixed. I think they are handling this well, I'm just a little disappointed this is happening on a month old $215 belt.

Jim will make it right. He's a good guy. I've been to his shop and he really does go the extra mile to make sure things are right.

After getting home for the night and inspecting the buckle, there is a burr right where Jim thought there might be. It's the chrome buckle and it appears to be a poor plating job that caused all of this. I'll make arrangements to send it in for repair, hopefully the new buckle will be problem free.

Links