Heard Gabe Suarez talking about red dot sights...

This is a discussion on Heard Gabe Suarez talking about red dot sights... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...on Armed American Radio last week and he was saying that his team are evaluating them for carry pistols. He said it's the future of ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heard Gabe Suarez talking about red dot sights...

...on Armed American Radio last week and he was saying that his team are evaluating them for carry pistols. He said it's the future of pistol sights.

I have zero experience with red dots, but they look useful. Anyone have any thoughts? If you have experience with them, maybe on a race gun or a rifle, could you let me know how durable they are and what you think of them?

Any and all thoughts are welcome, like I said, I know zero about this.

He was specifically talking about the JPoint and the Trijicon, but I've also seen the C-More and Docter talked about when I did a quick google on them.

Never used one on my pistols, buy I see they're $300.00 bucks for a JPoint.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I've seen the Jpoint on an M&P, in pictures. It is kind of cool. I have never had an extra pistol I could mess with or I'd have tried it.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

they would be kinda hard to conceal, wouldn't they?

I have one on my M4gery (Aimpoint)...and love it...

I don't see them on defensive pistols...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I think the only sight that would be somewhat practical on defensive handguns would be the little aimpoint model you could dovetail into the rear sight, or maybe a c-more. Personally, I prefer a good set of HI-VIZ sights, red in the front and green in the rear; Having used both for years, there is little difference in both in daylight hours. The dot sight would have an advantage in the dark, but you can also get combination hi-viz/trijicon sights to take care of that.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Administrator
    Don't forget about the Burris Fastfire II.

Kelly McCann has been advocating them for years. The main obstacle seems to be having to mill the slide to accept them, and concerns over durability. However, the slides can be milled and the better optics are apparently sufficiently durable. Who knows? Maybe we'll all look back on the days we didn't have them and wonder what we were thinking?
    God, country, family.

A red dot should be slightly better than Tru Glo's TFO sights, which are bright in both daylight and in low light. The red dot eliminates the need to line up the front and rear sights.

However, the red dot would be much bulkier, and much more expensive.

At closer range, I still think a laser has some advantages over a red dot, such as allowing you to fire accurately from behind cover, without needing to align the sights with your eye. This exposes less of your body to return fire.

Lasers aren't popular over at their forum, and I was promptly shouted down by Gabe's disciples - and one of my posts was deleted. For most civilians, I think TFOs and lasers are a better bet - though it is an interesting idea.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Thanks for all the insights so far! I appreciate the way people help me learn on this forum! :) Looking forward to more opinions, as well!

Here is a link to the conversation I'm refering to, for anyone who would like to listen for themselves. About 9:20 in the clip. I probably should have put it up before, but better late than never, right?

Administrator
    OK here is a youtube VID that shows (very clearly) the pistol that Jim AKA Kelly McCann carries.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NBzgventq0

One of his arguments is that he is extremely fluid transitioning from the red dot on his long gun to his handgun.
    Actually these days you can get a red dot optical rear a bit smaller than his and have it custom milled further down into the slide.

Some may also argue "What about having to turn it on and off?"
    But, actually I believe the units use so little battery power that they can just stay continually "ON" for about two years.
    So to be incredibly safe regarding battery life you could just change the battery out once a year.

Here is a webfind pic of the mounted DOCTOR optic though I would probably go with the Trij over the DOCTOR.

He posted same several weeks ago in his monthly web forum e-mail letter.
    Others have been espousing same for a couple of years now.

And then at SHOT the following concept was debut by an Israeli company that is IMHO very interesting...

TAS Pistol Sights Tactical Aiming Solutions

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Hmm, only problem I see with the TAS sight is that you're exchanging a slide-length sight picture that can be seen from a lot of angles for a sight-length sight picture that can be seen only from a few.

Basically, it works for subcompacts at short range where you don't really need sights but cripples a full size service gun at longer ranges where you really need the sights to work...

I'm primarily interested in the red dots because at short (<10yards) ranges I can look down the barrel while moving (which I will be if the target is that close and that hostile) and figure out if I'm going to hit, but at longer ranges (>15yards) I'd like a more refined sight picture while I have the time to take it. Something like a 3MOA red dot sounds perfect for that, especially in a shoot-no-shoot situation.

Under what civilian combat/defense use would you be making shots at >15 yds. / 45 ft.?
    Not even in competition are shots made at that distance with a handgun.

The concern/desire to that end seems to be moot.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I could maybe see it mounted on a home defense handgun but not on something I would carry. JMO
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

I like how my eyes respond and focus on the target, with red dot sights. Though, the current size of models is fairly large. It's not something I would consider on a carry pistol, because of the size. Though, get the sizing down to something little worse than "standard" sights, then I would certainly take a look.

I find that ghost ring sights help focus the sighting on the "dot" you're looking at, but feel that red dot sights can do this more efficiently. I've fired lever-action rifles and pistols with them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links