Concealment Vest Recommendation

This is a discussion on Concealment Vest Recommendation within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just reading the latest issue of IDPA's Tactical Journal, and am passing along a recommendation from an article by Ken Hackathorn, an IDPA ...

Thread: Concealment Vest Recommendation

I was just reading the latest issue of IDPA's Tactical Journal, and am passing along a recommendation from an article by Ken Hackathorn, an IDPA founder and board member.

He speaks of how IDPA shooters seem to "wear a uniform" that includes 5.11 pants and 5.11 concealment vest. He states that even though that vest is wildly popular, it is less suited to IDPA use than a design he regularly recommends, the Cabela's Safari Vest, which sells for $49.95.

Hackathorn rapped the 5.11 vest because "...the design has never been right in that access to the pockets for easy drop in function of tactical magazine changes is compromised by the design. Something as simple as putting your car keys in the side pocket is a hassle."

It turns out that I have a trip to Cabela's planned for tomorrow, and being in the market for a vest means I'll likely pick up one of their Safari Vests for IDPA use, and even for occasional concealment use when hiking, walking, etc. Here's a look at the product at Cabela's site: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...vest&noImage=0

Thought I'd throw this out--so please share your thoughts/recommendations regarding vests for concealment, and which you may prefer.

other will agree or disagree but to me unless you look like chris on his bike or a biker a hunting /photo vest etc etc screams gun

Anything you buy from cabelas should be good

and as a side not though it screams gun im thinking of one myself

VIP Member
    Minnesota, Land of 10000 Lakes. Get yourself a vest. Add some fishing relates patches, pins and paraphernalia and nobody is the wiser. I have your standard photo vest and regular folks ask me if I am going fishing or if I am a photographer. The ones that might figure out you are carrying are fellow CCW's or the cops which means you would be spotted by "family" unless you are printing like the Sunday edition of the NYT.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Jimmy - well leaving aside Bud's mention LOL!

I can heartily recommend the Smith and Alexander vest - I have just ordered another because my current most used one is getting ''tired'' - right front pocket has thin spots because NAA Mini lives there, and button holes getting ragged!

True when used biking it gathers no real looks but honestly, even ''out and about'' in summer - I really don't think it shouts carry - ''whisper'' perhaps Thing is it looks IMO pretty innocuous. The pics were quick ones done last year for Bud but - show something of how it looks. It is thin denim and adds little to my over-heating burden in summer

Smith & Alexander, Garland, Texas 75049 (the folks who do all sorts of 1911 stuff, guide rods etc)

Tel - 800-SA2-1911. - and speak to the nice lady. Approx $40 and, do not go too large - I am 6.00 and 210 - and the medium does me - the large is a bit voluminous.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Actually, vest doesn't scream gun in the outdoor settings I haunt, but rather fits in pretty well. I suppose it could in a more metro setting. I hear folks say that about fanny packs, but again, in an outdoorsy setting they are common enough that I don't believe it's a tipoff.

I'll consider the idea of non-shooting patches on the vest...could be a good deception, heh.

Thanks for the testimonial about the Smith & Alexander, P95. I am looking at their ad in IDPA's Tactical Journal and do like the simple look, without all the pockets/flaps of the safari style vests.

Now that vest looks good and wouldnt scream gun to me Chris

Links