I need a gun safe...

I need a gun safe...

This is a discussion on I need a gun safe... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; But I don't want a fingerpad, a number pad, an iris reader, a battery-operated anything. All are too prone to failure or fumbling in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Question I need a gun safe...

But I don't want a fingerpad, a number pad, an iris reader, a battery-operated anything. All are too prone to failure or fumbling in the dark.

I'm looking for a simple key-operated safe. The key goes on my keyring, which when I'm home, goes in the safe. That way I don't have to "look" for the safe key if I'm in a hurry--it's already there. When I leave, the keyring goes with me--safe secured.

I don't need a mega-safe, just something reasonably strong to make a lot of work to break into. I'm sure that if burgler had a forklift and a lb of C4 he's getting into any safe, so I'm more concerned with grab-and-run type thiefs.

Anyone know of one like this?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    But I don't want a fingerpad, a number pad, an iris reader, a battery-operated anything. All are too prone to failure or fumbling in the dark.

I'm looking for a simple key-operated safe. The key goes on my keyring, which when I'm home, goes in the safe. That way I don't have to "look" for the safe key if I'm in a hurry--it's already there. When I leave, the keyring goes with me--safe secured.

I don't need a mega-safe, just something reasonably strong to make a lot of work to break into. I'm sure that if burgler had a forklift and a lb of C4 he's getting into any safe, so I'm more concerned with grab-and-run type thiefs.

Anyone know of one like this?
    Everything I know of with a key-only lock is a sheet metal cabinet that can be gotten into with a common pry-bar in about five minutes - tops.

Anything reasonably secure will have a combination lock, at least 1/8" walls and a reinforced, multi-bolt door. If all you have is a couple of pistols, there are fairly decent small safes in the $250-$400 range than can (and SHOULD) be bolted to the floor.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Here is a start...
    Gun Safe Buyers' Guide
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Both of my handgun safes have both the keypad and the key for manual overrride. Time to get another one, the new .357 is coming this week and the others are full.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Look up the website for Cannon Safes. I got the "Patriot" from a local dealer near my home for 999.00 & paid the guys 100.00 to put it where I wanted it in my house. Look around and you may find one local to you at a deal. The website shows MSRP.
    SCGunLover1

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I've got a heritage and am very pleased. Can't speak for any others.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Been looking myself...this one has features found only on more expensive safes.

Champion Safe - Welcome
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

You don't want a safe with only a key lock. The problem with these is a key can be picked, dial is a much better choice if you don't trust electronics. As far as price goes, you should really spend the money and get something nice, because if you don't you'll regret it later on down the road. If the dial on your safe has a key lock in it as well DON'T, I reapeat DON'T depend on just the key. The key is a low security lock that many different people have the key to. If you have any more questions pm me.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

My Patriot safe has a key pad, but can be opened without it using two keys.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

If you want to keep it (your valuables), spend some money, get a good safe.

This is to make you think.
    You can buy a good safe from different sellers. Just have a good idea of what you are looking for.

I hope this helps.

YouTube - Security on Sale Gun safe Prying video
    Keep your powder dry

I've read that today's electronic keypad locks are just as reliable as combination locks. If you ever lose your keys, you'll still be able to get into your safe. Keyed locks can easily be picked or drilled.

Talking about burglary, not fire protection...

Liberty and Cannon seem to have some cheap entry level safes that I'm considering. After viewing some YouTube videos on how easy it is to pry, gives me some concern. But these safes were on their backs, and I plan to bolt mine down.

The next level up seems to offer better fire protection. But I've read there's no standard testing, so you're basically paying for something that isn't easily measured.

The next level up from that seems to provide more door/lock protection. But I don't quite understand the value. A lot of money goes into the front of the safe, but the sides and top of the safe doesn't change. I'm very curious how easy it is to take a metal grinder and cut through 12 gauge steel. I've read that it can take 5-7minutes. It's not hard, and you don't need to be a professional to get a grinder from Harbor Freight (or steal one, or get from the garage).

I've heard it is all about "slowing the burglar down". But spending $2000 to slow the thief down to 5 or 7 minutes seems to be a waste. Probably spending $250 (on sale) for a Harbor Freight safe is enough to stop the snatch and grab thief.

I'm figuring either go cheap ($300), or spend the big money ($4000). Anything else in between doesn't offer much value, you're just buying that 7 minutes.

Jake

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I understand that keylocks can be picked, and cheap key locks all the easier. But even those take a bit of skill. I'm not talking about prevent the guy who's been breaking into bank vaults for a living, just the local kid who breaks in and wants to make a quick score (while my alarm is screaming like a banshee).

I don't care for combo locks, they take too long to open when I can remember how they work and the numbers. I don't want to be fumbling around trying to remember if it's 22-03-48 or 02-23-48 when I've just been awakened by breaking glass. I don't trust electronic locks after spending 20 yrs in avionics and knowing electronics aren't reliable--especically when you need them.

I guess I'll keep looking for something with a heavy-duty key lock. May have to look outside the realm of gun safes.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I saw a Liberty safe that had both a combination and key lock. The Centurion 12 is about $400.

Jake

OldVet,

Would it work to have either an electronic or dial safe and every evening unlock it so that you just have to open the door if you need something from inside.

In your OP, you said that you would leave the key in the safe at night so that it would be ready and you didn't have to do much. Seems like if you were to ready the other type where you just have to pull it open you could accomplish the same thing.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Snakyjake , all that key does is lock the dial down so it won't turn. It doesn't actually unlock the safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links