Tactical Shotgun Carry

This is a discussion on Tactical Shotgun Carry within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In addition to my EDC I have my bugout gear in my truck along with a few other things that may come in handy should ...

Thread: Tactical Shotgun Carry

Tactical Shotgun Carry

In addition to my EDC I have my bugout gear in my truck along with a few other things that may come in handy should I not be able to get back home if it happens. One of these items is a "tactical" 12 g shotgun with about 250 rounds.

However, a big concern now is keeping that shotgun (24/7 in my truck) in a condition that is ready should I need it. It is cleaned and oiled and in a well padded carry case, but here in Texas it may range from 20 to 90 degrees in the same week. I know that there are a number of gels and oils, and even bags available but will they really stop possible rust in this extream enviroment and still give me the ability to put this tool into action quickly? Is there another solution short of keeping this in my safe. What do y'all do? Any thought about a vaccum sealed bag?
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Don't put it in any sort of plastic bag. I think with a synthetic stock version, the temp shouldn't affect anything. I'd still pull it out every now and then to look things over. The worst thing you have to worry about is keeping that much ammo fresh.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Mine rides in a cloth "gun rack" on the back of the seats a la the kind you can buy at Academy or from Cabela's. It gets banged around and abused and I expect it to still work every time. Thus is the life of a pump shotgun.

If it is inside the truck and the case prevents most or all direct contact with moisture, give it a good sloppy coat of CLP on the outside and check on it every month. You'll be fine.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    slide action and repeating shotguns are going to require regular routine checkups no matter how much oil you put on the outside. Main thing to think of isn't really temp its how humid is it where you are? If its not humid then you won't have to worry as much. If it rains a lot or is around a body of water then you should think about wiping it down once a week with CLP breakfree cloth and take it down all the way at least once a month.

If you don't mind a little extra time for deployment then get yourself a 6" PVC pipe big enough to pack your ammo and shotgun in. Glue a cap on one end and put a removable rubber drain plug on the other (you would have to unscrew the stopper to loosen it). Line the tube with some foam and pack the shotgun and ammo in there. get short grain rice and put it in a cloth bag then put it in the tube rice will absorb moisture (this doubles for extra if needed). Use SEALED bottles of water to keep the shotgun from moving (this doubles for extra hydration if needed, also make sure you can freeze the bottles of water without them breaking) pack it all in there and forget about it till you need it. One note I would NOT keep it loaded in the pvc tube.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Don't put it in any sort of plastic bag. I think with a synthetic stock version, the temp shouldn't affect anything. I'd still pull it out every now and then to look things over. The worst thing you have to worry about is keeping that much ammo fresh.
    Unless stored under some really adverse conditions (typically not found in this country) ammo, even shotshells, do not deteriorate. Ammo life is measured in decades, not weeks or months.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Links