Low Cost Gun Safe

This is a discussion on Low Cost Gun Safe within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a safe for only a few pistols. Live in an apartment so would have to shove it in my closet. Would probably ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Cost Gun Safe

Low Cost Gun Safe

I'm looking for a safe for only a few pistols. Live in an apartment so would have to shove it in my closet. Would probably bolt it to the floor though. Does anyone know of any cheaper ones that are actually worth purchasing. I was thinking $200-400.

2. Remove Ads

I just bought one for my pistols. I found it on walmart.com. It is a Honeywell 2.0 cubic foot model for about $300. Fire rated, and it has excellent reviews.
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

I have a GV2000 but I dont bolt it down. Its more to
    keep my kids out.
    Ruger P345, S&W 637
    SKS, Ruger 1022
    Two Fist

I was thinking something that couldn't be carried out in a quick break in.

I think you are really limiting yourself to your choices based on your price range. I would suggest something cheaper and spend the extra money on weights that you can put on the bottom to add to its weight. Either that or keep an eye out in Craigslist, you might just luck out.

If you are looking to keep them safe you could resort to hiding them instead. Why I do in my apartment is slide the bottom drawer of the dresser out place my guns on the floor and then slide the drawer back in. No one will ever know they are there!

cj
    The only thing in that price range are pretty much security cabinets with relatively thin steel doors. They might be difficult to carry off, but some judicious use of a prybar would probably pop them open given some time.

If you go that route, the best thing I would try would be to wedge it somewhere very difficult to get at and bolt it down (for example, I have one that flush fits into a closet corner, so the only access point is the door, making it so it can't be turned on its side, and difficult to get a prybar in...still, with enough time, I doubt a determined person could still get at it).

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I was thinking something that couldn't be carried out in a quick break in.
    Then it WILL need to be bolted to the floor. My vault, fully loaded, weighs in excess of 1,000 lbs and it's lag-bolted to the floor and the back wall.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    If you are looking to keep them safe you could resort to hiding them instead. Why I do in my apartment is slide the bottom drawer of the dresser out place my guns on the floor and then slide the drawer back in. No one will ever know they are there!
    And any competent burglar will have their hands on them in about five minutes. Hiding places like this are the first place experienced thieves look.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Mic
    Try one of those security fire chests, the document size ones go for around $40 and you can bolt them down anyware you want with a good drill and some bolts from Ace
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

The Honeywell model I purchased weighs almost 145lbs. It would be difficult for someone to easily carry it out. As the others have said - bolt it down to be sure.
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

I just bought a 5', 45 gun safe from Doug Smith. He's local to me - about 2 miles away, but builds the best safe I've seen. His basic pistol safe runs $350. Probably around $450 and you get some nice options added. Here's his URL:

The best and most affordable gunsafe and vault doors, Smith Security Safes Inc 1-800-521-0335
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    'Sorry man - Most burglarized rooms have the dresser drawers pulled out. Those guns are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by GTOGuy View Post
    The Honeywell model I purchased weighs almost 145lbs. It would be difficult for someone to easily carry it out. As the others have said - bolt it down to be sure.

I saw some of those on walmarts website. Can't be bolted to the floor though. Any way around that. I'm on the third floor so that seems like a decent enough weight. Can really be throwing 500 lbs right above somebody elses unit.

Doug Smith built me a safe probably 25 or more yrs ago. It would hold 80 long guns plus it had shelving inside for handguns & etc. It was a fantastic safe, reasonbly priced. I think he was near Olentangy (sp) OH.
    Glad to hear he is still in business.
    Peaceful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links