Camo patterns

Camo patterns

This is a discussion on Camo patterns within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for opinions on camo clothing. What patterns do you like, and how does it works in you surrounding area? For a given ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camo patterns

Camo patterns

I am looking for opinions on camo clothing. What patterns do you like, and how does it works in you surrounding area? For a given environment does it mater what pattern, if you were hunting, say turkeys, deer, zombies or two legged varmints? The multicam pattern has some convincing photos: MultiCam.com Images. What else short of a ghillie suit works to lower visibility. Does the function or features of a given shirt or pants outweigh the concealability for anyone. Are there any reviews of camo clothing out there somewhere? Just thinking with an eye to the future for bug in/out times.

Thanks in advance, Lyndon

Camo....interesting concept (in daylight). One's environment can change drastically and quickly. Animals can be fooled more easily than humans in some instances. Your movement is what will be detected no matter how well you blend in with your environment. Adaption is key. Move at night and be ready to take your target at first light.

I have been researching this one for quite a while, reading all I can find. Perhaps I can briefly state my plans on duracoating my firearms. 1st, according to the US Army, balck is bad. In most environments (except Urban areas) black is absent in camo, (except for zebras which helps hide in the herd and tigers??). 2nd, horizontal lines are bad. In the environment most everything grows up and down, except for tree limbs. so it your doing a camo job that might have a striped pattern, make sure the stripes go up and down (such as a tiger). This breaks up the horizonal lines of a long gun.

I plan on using a variety of camo patterns, digital, acu, af abu, multicolor, even tiger stripe on my firearms, but I will be using tans, browns, greens and grays as the colors. No black and no horizontal stripes.

I will post pictures as I do them

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    don't need no stinkin camo... get a scent killer and wear clothing that is similar in color to the sorroundings (including hat) get leaves, twigs, dirt and whatever to dig in. Face paint optional. Biggest thing is what Ram Rod already said...

There's no one answer to your question. It depends on time of year, area of the country (sometimes, area of the state), weather conditions (snow/no snow), surroundings (woods, water, skyline, grass). In my part of the country, I've found the Realtree AP to be one of the best. While deer hunting out of a ground blind utilizing this camo, I had an entire flock of turkeys walk within 10 yards and never knew I was there. Ducks and geese will give you your toughest challenge. Don't know about the accuracy of this, but I've read that a ducks normal vision is like a human looking through 20 power binoculars.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    ...1st, according to the US Army, black is bad. In most environments (except Urban areas) black is absent in camo, (except for zebras which helps hide in the herd and tigers??)....
    I guess they haven't seen black snakes, black bears, black panthers, black spiders, and numerous other black and near black, i.e. very dark, colored critters, and black shadows.

OTOH, I have a cousin that use to be in LE and he wore black. I tried to explain to him that black was best at night. Those black outfits stand out like a light against light backgrounds. But once you enter an area of subdued lighting...

Plus, black is not a rare color for clothing and often black is close enough to other dark colors not to stand out. One of the things about black is it hides detail. All my holsters are black. I try to wear them over black or dark pants. If I should tip my cover garment, usually a light color, the black on black or dark does not disclose the details of a holster like a black holster on light pants or a light colored holster on dark pants.

Camo is designed to blend, or at least not contrast significantly with the environment, so sure, in the desert you'd want desert colored clothing etc. At night, I'd still want black. I think it would be easy to demonstrate that black will go invisible well before light colored patterns do as the light level goes down. Think about it, as we loose light, we lose color perception, but we still see contrast in light and dark.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Hang in there, they are working on an invisibility cloak. Should be available in a few years.

Check this out
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I guess they haven't seen black snakes, black bears, black panthers, black spiders, and numerous other black and near black, i.e. very dark, colored critters, and black shadows.
    Black is a great color if you want to look like a black snake, bear, panther, etc. But with camo, you want to look like the environment, not another critter. So if you look at the environment, there is very little black.

And when the sun goes down, things do not go black, they darken from the absence of light. Desert colors are still desert colors, just without the light. If you become illuminated for anyreason, you still want to look just like your environment, whether in light or in the absence of light.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I concur that black clothing stands out like a sore thumb. And movement always stands out more. test your camo in the environment you plan to use it in. Make sure that you test it FAR away. A great looking camo can look like a solid color from a distance.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

depends on where u live... her in ohio, MARPAT ranked a bit better then multicam in the woods..

The best pattern is going to depend on your local area and conditions.

Some other things to consider:

Movement - bad. Our eyes are designed to spot movement.

Reflective surfaces - bad. Scopes, optics, watches, glasses - you get the idea. If you see a reflection, chances are that whatever made it is a man-made object. Very few things in nature are shiny. Panty hose stretched over optic lenses helps with this. Put a hat on your bald head!

Light discipline - very important at night. Your flashlight, matches, or cigarette can be seen for miles. You might as well light up a neon sign saying HERE I AM!

Noise discipline. Jump up and down and duct tape anything that rattles. Don't forget to put your darn cell phone on vibrate!

I'm more concerned with the gray man "urban camouflage." Nothing to see here...move along...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Depends on your environment. Sometime its different atterns on top and bottom. I personally prefer the Mossy Oak Line they seemto have the most diverse range of choices.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Any camouflage will work, so long as it's of a type suitable to your environment, and so long as you are not moving. However, it has to be pointed out that as soon as you move, your camouflage doesn't work!

In my normal urban environment, I try to blend in with what the local people wear. No camo pants or T-shirts, no gun-related or heavily political T-shirts, and no "I've got a gun" fanny pack. Just a plain shirt, regular pants, and a short jacket hide my Browning Hi-Power, worn in an IWB holster, and no, I've NEVER been 'made'!
    Tony Walker
    Author of the critically-acclaimed How to Win a Gunfight, a common sense approach to self defense.

See my website at www.tonywalkerbooks.com

What exactly are you camouflaging for? The best way to not be noticed is to break up your outline (if you are hunting say turkeys, deer, zombies or two legged varmint), move slowly and as others have said blend in to your environment. Lighten areas that are usually dark and darken areas that are usually light. The rest has been covered. tony1911 made an excellent point about the urban environment, wear what the people wear.

marpat, multi, ACU video slideshow
    http://yfrog.com/jocamotests

marpat and multi both in that pic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links