Gun Cleaning Kit

This is a discussion on Gun Cleaning Kit within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a nice dummy proof cleaning kit. I would like one that can clean all guns, handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc. I am ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Cleaning Kit

Gun Cleaning Kit

I am looking for a nice dummy proof cleaning kit. I would like one that can clean all guns, handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc. I am also looking for one that is dummy proof that everyhting is clearly labeled by caliber not bruch size or number so I don't screw up anything. Also needs to include solvent, lube, etc. And should have step by step instructions.

Anyone have any good kits that meet this criteria?

PS Seems everyone has a different process to clean their guns, so what's yours step by step?

2. Remove Ads

Really I have an assortment of "stuff" in a .50 cal ammo can in the garage. I use different stuff I've collected over time. I do have one of the Otis tactical kits in my range bag and it can clean everything and is pretty inclusive. If I were to only have one kit (and if I'm away from home and the gunshop workbench, it's all I have) this would be it:
    Otis Technology, Inc. [Online Catalog - Tactical Cleaning System]

At the gunshop I care for my guns, guns for sale, and high-use rental guns. For long rifles I usually clean the barrel with copper solvent from Hoppe's (Bench Rest? can't remember the name), for everything else I use Gunslick bore foam and let it sit while I clean the rest of the gun. Gunslick ? Precision Gun Care - Cleaners-Degreasers

For most other cleaning I use good old Hoppe's #9 with Qtips, rags and patches, mostly old t shirts cut up:
    Hoppe's 9 - Solvents & Lubricants
    Fruit of the Loom - Men's and Boys' Cotton T Shirt, Underwear, Boxers Boxer Briefs Apparel

I clean up with Gunscrubber, and occasionally on the rentals, I just blast them out with Gunscrubber and re-lube, but those guns get a lot of use and fast turnaround is more important than detail cleaning.
    Birchwood

I lube almost everything with X1-R grease. They are a local company so I save on shipping, but they make great lube. Holds up great on the rentals as well as my stuff. For when a thinner lube is needed I use their synthetic liquid lube. Occasionally I use RIG +P lube but I hear they went out of business.
    X-1R Shooter Pack

For guns that are going out for sale or might be stored for a while I use Gun Seal or the older Gunslick Metal Seal. I also use silicone spray I get at the local hardware store, just a generic big spray can:
    Gunslick ? Precision Gun Care - Rust Protectants

Almost all the big cleaning accessory companies make a "complete" kit, but nothing is perfect. You may find something you need to add, a tool specific to your gun, maybe a solvent for corrosive surplus ammo or blackpowder.

And I'm just not a big fan of the CLP or other multi-purpose cleaner / lube chemicals. I think they either don't clean enough or they leave too much lube residue behind. Just me, plenty of people and agencies use only that. It just doesn't do what I like.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    The problem is that there isn't really a one-size fits all kit.

My cleaning kit is a fishing tackle box. Is is built up ouf several kits and a variety of other tools.

I'd suggest starting with a kit from Outers (you can usually get them at Walmart on the cheap). I have a kit with pistol calibers, a rifle kit and shotgun kit all mixed in the tackle box.

To that I add a huge can of CLP (currently a Winchester brand, but CLP is CLP), gun grease, a syringe-type applicator of Weapon Shield, Q-tips, cotton patches, small brushes, a set of punches, a soft-tipped hammer, a few screwdrivers and allen wrenches and a set of takedown instructions for each of my weapons.

Normal cleaning involves field stripping the weapon(s), spray CLP on just about everything, scrub barrel with brass brush and then cotton patches until clean, wipe everything else down (occasionally use compressed air to blow out the nooks and crannies), lube the friction points and reassemble, function test, clean up.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

GUNZILLA!!! Then whatever brushes that fit your caliber gun.

I get confused with the lube and the solvent, is Gunzilla solvent or lube?

also what's your process?

Gunzilla is both. Without the strong smell. I just pass a cleaning patch through the barrel untill it comes out clean (with the solution on the cloth) put a little on the slide. A little on the outside of the slide to prevent rust and call it a day. Mind you I am still VERY new to all aspects of firearms so I may be doing it wrong!

Mic
    The best kit is the one you assemble over time, pieces and parts collected time goes by, the guns you own the more parts you will have. Check your local outdoors store or wallyland for a gun claning kit and you have a good start
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

I am another fan of the Otis system
    Led By Love Of Country

Form my limited searching the Otis system does appear to be the most comprehensive available. The only thing I don't like is the flexible cables as opposed to rods. I guess I could swap out some rods. Will any rod work for any gun or do I need special rods for different guns

The cables are used instead of rods because you clean from breech to muzzle.
    If you're stuck on rods, just make sure you have one small enough diameter to fit in the barrel. Many brushes are compatible, but the smaller caliber rods/brushes have different threads than larger calibers.

Boresnakes (for appropriate caliber, incl 12ga), GP brush, Hoppes, and gun scrubber.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Don't mess with a traditional kit. The rods included are 1) segmented where the joints can scratch rifles' bores as they flex and 2) are soft aluminum or brass where crud can get imbedded and start acting as an abrasive on your bore/throat/chamber. A short section for most handguns is fine as the bore is short and fat enough you can control the rod so it doesn't contact the bore or chamber.

For pushing patches thru the bore (breech to muzzle), get a set of brass jags (all calibers), don't mess with slotted tips unless you're going to stick with Otis patches (visit their website for the skinny on that). Don't bother with the plastic shotgun jags, use a patch over a bore brush instead.

Rifle/shotgun - get a carbon fiber rod with ball bearings (Tipton). You can probably get an adapter for shotgun brushes.

Gunzilla seems to be the board favorite - I haven't tried it yet. Sharpshooter Wipeout is a foam bore cleaner that you can leave in your barrel overnight and push out in the morning - no smell, no spills, etc. Works as good as Sweet's 7.62 getting copper out without the harsh smell/chemicals. G96 works great for all other parts - got many years of carbon off a revolver cylinder face I had given up on. I use Break Cleaner (red can from WalMart) to knock most of the gunk out first.

I don't use bore brushes anymore - rely on chemicals and tight patches on jags to get everything out. Much less abrasive.

Get a bore guide for your rifles.

Get a military type AP (all purpose) brush. It has a large bristle head on one end and a small head on the other. The giant ones at WalMart won't get into the small nooks and crannies.

Get a cleaning mat for when you spill stuff and it will also keep small parts from running off from you.

Get a gun screwdriver kit before you start buggering up screws - not the one from WalMart.

If you go to a gun show, or ask your dentist for his old ones, dental picks are great for getting into corners, scraping, etc. Don't bother with the plastic/nylon ones.

THanks for the info, but I think I am more confused. What's a Jag? Is that something you use instead of a brush?

Quote Originally Posted by hengst View Post
    I am another fan of the Otis system
    Otis kits are good, but not for the beginner IMO. They do however work very well for the semi-auto rifles in 22lr as you can pull from the breech to muzzle. As some have already stated, your cleaning kit will start out as basic, and grow over time along with your experience and your collection. Word to the wise....if you get one of those kits from a retail store, make sure it's one of the more universal kits that you won't have to buy specific jigs for. There are ones that only accept the same brand fittings/jigs (Outers kits are one of them if I remember) as the rods are threaded differently and accept only those threads. KleenBore kits are universal (if I remember). Others you can find jigs for anywhere, even at gun shows, and they'll work. For the quick pass at the range through a warm bore, I have several of the Bore Snakes in different calibers. Glocks come with a cleaning kit.....all you'll need (besides the Gunzilla).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links