Best value/effectiveness for multiple tactical lights purchase?

This is a discussion on Best value/effectiveness for multiple tactical lights purchase? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to buy tactical lights - a bunch of them (four or five total). I want one in each car and a couple around ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best value/effectiveness for multiple tactical lights purchase?

Best value/effectiveness for multiple tactical lights purchase?

I want to buy tactical lights - a bunch of them (four or five total). I want one in each car and a couple around the house. I'd rather buy the exact same brand and model number, for ease of service (bulbs, batteries, etc).

The main purpose for these lights would be self-defense, with some occasional use for other purposes. I would want the lights to be compact, very bright, rugged and have long-lasting batteries. Additionally, it should be easy to find parts and batteries for the lights.

I would love the hear some recommendations. I've done plenty of searching, and I know there are a LOT of different options out there. But I'd like to hear from someone who is utilizing my strategy of having multiples of same light.

Many thanks for all 'illuminating' opinions.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

2. Remove Ads

Your in a bit of a catch 22 with the quality requirements and the ease of finding replacement parts. Most quality lights are not a standard item in common stores so you may have to order a few standby parts to have available to allow for the restocking time of ordering on line.

You really can't go wrong with Surefire, they are a bit pricey but you do get what you pay for. Fenix is one of the newer players on the market but are getting some great reviews.

Lithium is the way to go for batteries especially since they will be in vehicles. They have the longest storage life with better cold weather service.

The one thing to keep in mind is the battery type, the 123 style batteries give some awesome power but are a bit more expensive and not as common as others so local sources are going to be tougher to find. The AA is about the most common battery and it's in just about every store, maybe not the lithium type but the alkaline will get you through till you can replace the lithium.

LED bulbs are the way to go since their less prone to breakage due to shock than filament style bulbs. They also have a much longer life. The output brightness for LEDs is approaching that of the filament styles and the best part is that for battery life LED is champ.

Good luck and be prepared to get addicted to flashlights.

I have to suggest what I always do, a Fenix PD model. I carry the PD30 and have used the same batteries for close to a year now. It's over 220 lumens on turbo, and are very small.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

We have three fenix lights at home (TK11 R2, TK20, and PD20) and love them all. We also have a couple of MagLite head knockers around. For the money, I would be hard pressed to get away from the Fenix products.

What you need is the Fenix TK 10 (or TK-11 that can be also used with 18650 rechargeable batteries, as well as 123's)

Now, for something that will cook retinas at long distance, look into the Borealis 1050 lumens flashlight
    Welcome to Black Bear Flashlights

HERE ARE SOME COMPARISON BEAM SHOTS AT 35 YARDS WITH THE MOST POWERFUL MILITARY/POLICE FLASHLIGHTS.

THE CONTENDERS FROM LEFT;
    MAGLITE 3 D, MAGCHARGER, ULTRA STINGER, SUREFIRE M-6, AND BOREALIS

MAGLITE 3 D (the most popular police flashlight)

MAGCHARGER

ULTRA STINGER

SUREFIRE M-6

BOREALIS RECHARGEABLE

Cheers
    Builder of the BOREALIS 1050 lumens flashlight

and www.blackbearflashlights.com

E-Mail admin@blackbearflashlights.com

Nice! Thanks for all the ideas gents.

I especially like the comparison photos. I actually have 3 of the large Maglites, and the photos do a wonderful job of showing just how bright (not!) the Maglits are, lol.

What the heck is up with that Borealis light? It looks exactly like a painted Maglite. Did you simply replace the bulb? Very interesting.

-

I have a couple of Surefire G2 LED lights and on E2D...one G2 for me, one for my wife, one for the car....occassionally carry the E2D....and spare batteries in the house, backpack, and car.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I will stand by the Surefire E2D LED. I was surprised at how bright it is. Its expensive, but well worth every penny. recently my mother had to be taken to the hospital for a bad drug reaction and the paramedic was amazed by how bright it was. I have 1 comparison photo shot in the middle of the day I can put up, but none at night though. I'll try to get some tonight.

This is the exact light I got. Price went up $15 the day after I ordered it :) http://www.surefire.com/E2D-LED-NRA-Defender

Lights

Beams
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

Surefire C2 Led Centurion (great flashlight)

Next will be the defender with the beveled bezel.

They are a little pricey but they do the job. I use mine for both defense and work dropped it off a 12' ladder and still trucking no problems didnt even pop the light.

and you can get the surefire brand batteries at Lowe's 2 for $5, i think if you order bulk from surefire they are cheaper also!!!
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

Quote Originally Posted by mikeprekopa View Post

This is the exact light I got..... E2D LED NRA Defender® - E2DL-BK-NRA available from SureFire

I never realized how many flashlight options there are, nor how confusing it all is.

For instance, the Sure E2D LED is listed two very different ways:
    200 lumens by Surefire: E2D LED NRA Defender® - E2DL-BK-NRA available from SureFire
    120 lumens at Optics Planet: SureFire E2DL LED Defender NRA Tactical Black Flashlight E2DL-BK-NRA FREE S&H E2DL-BK-NRA. Surefire Defender Flashlights, Surefire Flashlights.

So, I wonder which it is, 200 or 120 lumens?

-

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Nice! Thanks for all the ideas gents.

I especially like the comparison photos. I actually have 3 of the large Maglites, and the photos do a wonderful job of showing just how bright (not!) the Maglits are, lol.

What the heck is up with that Borealis light? It looks exactly like a painted Maglite. Did you simply replace the bulb? Very interesting.

-
    The bulb in the Borealis is a super-bulb used on medical instruments (not a flashlight bulb at all) it runs on 12 volts.

So the batteries are 9 NIMHS rechargeables of very high current to cope with the 3 1/2 amps of the bulb.

The batteries are carried in a special battery carrier that is also the conduct to charge the batteries without taking them out of the carrier.

They recharge quick in 90 minutes.
    The run time of the Borealis is 50 minutes.

The Borealis was made to compete with the Surefire M-6 (The darling of Special Forces) which it does well as the M-6 is 500 lumens for 20 minutes run time using six disposable CR123A's batteries.

Other replacements are the special switch (for high temperature use) the special heavy walled aluminum parabolic reflector and the pyrex lens.

The only thing Maglite is the body, which is a smart move as it is replaceable and inexpensive, and the special parts can be switched to a new body by the owner in less than 10 minutes,

The Borealis is the only flashlight that can show small animals at 300 yards, this is in actual field use and not rated as others do against a reflective target. Reflective targets can be illuminated 600 yards away.

Black Bear

Nitecore D10SP. Uses AA batteries (easily obtainable). Can fill the role of EDC, and with the CAA UFH1P, you can attach it to a pistol or rifle. Can fit in any where you need it to.

What is the going price on a Borialis Light though??
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Can't go wrong with a Surfire. I like Fenix and O-Light too. Buy quality and plenty of backup batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny256 View Post
    What is the going price on a Borialis Light though??
    $320 shipped in the USA.

The light is handcrafted, not a production line item.

Cheers
    Black Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links