Night Sights: Can you recharge them?

This is a discussion on Night Sights: Can you recharge them? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys and gals, I was noticing the other night that my night sights have become " not as bright" as my new set just ...

Thread: Night Sights: Can you recharge them?

Night Sights: Can you recharge them?

Hey guys and gals, I was noticing the other night that my night sights have become " not as bright" as my new set just installed on a different gun. My old ones are just over 4 years old, not sure how long they last? This my sound stupid but but can you "recharge" night sights or do they have to be replaced? Any Ideas? Thanks!
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

2. Remove Ads

Get a tooth brush and clean, see if that will help...
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    No, you can't. The tritium that is in the lamps of your sights has a half-life of 12 years, meaning you can expect your sights to gradually dim.

A lot of manufacturers will replace the lamps for a nominal fee. I'm pretty sure Trijicon will, and Meprolight probably does as well. If you have Sig factory night sights, I hear they're a pain in the butt to get replacement lamps for.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    No, you can't. The tritium that is in the lamps of your sights has a half-life of 12 years, meaning you can expect your sights to gradually dim.

A lot of manufacturers will replace the lamps for a nominal fee. I'm pretty sure Trijicon will, and Meprolight probably does as well. If you have Sig factory night sights, I hear they're a pain in the butt to get replacement lamps for.
    Replacing the lamps would probably cause more headachs and cost more money then just replacing them with new ones.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

As others have said, no you can't. This is a good reason to only buy your night sights from a source with a good stock turn-over. If you buy your sights from a small town gun shop where they may have been sitting on a shelf for 3 or 4 years means you've already lost a good portion of their useful life.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I've heard Iran will recharge them for a nominal fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097
    Replacing the lamps would probably cause more headachs and cost more money then just replacing them with new ones.
    Only if you can't do without the gun for a couple weeks. Just mail the slide to Trijicon and they'll do it for you. I think it was like $40 or something like that to replace the vials, which beats the $80-$120 for a new set.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Sure! You'll need some highly specialized microminiature glass-blowing equipment and some heavy hydrogen, and a way to combine the hydrogen atoms into tritium. (I was tempted to say something silly, like, expose it to sunlight for twenty minutes a day, but I was afraid someone would take me seriously.)
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post

No that is Funny!!!!!!

There are rechargeable night sights, but they are not based upon nuclear material. Several companies make sights or overlays from phosphorus-based paints. These overlays are either a paint or a tape.

The phosphorus is "exited" when exposed to light, and they will glow in the dark. The lenght of time they glow depends upon the overlay/paint with green being the brightest (just like nuclear-based night sights). I have tried some that will last almost eight hours with a one hour charge from an incadescent light source.

The best part is that they are cheap (less than $20), and they can be easily removed if you don't like them.
    Guns: Glock 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30 & 36
    Rides: 2006 GTO with my turbo system and tune (635 RWHP); 2009 H-D Street Glide with many mods

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Yeah but they'll let you push the LAUNCH button. So it's not a bad deal.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Only if you can't do without the gun for a couple weeks. Just mail the slide to Trijicon and they'll do it for you. I think it was like $40 or something like that to replace the vials, which beats the $80-$120 for a new set.
    I think Trijicon only relamps their own sights. They directed me to Tool Tech ( Tooltech Gunsight ) to relamp my Meprolights. Trijicon charges $54.00 I think and Tool Tech wants $190.00. Pffffft!!!! like that's going to happen?
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Thanks guys for the help, I will look into sending the slide back to Trijicon and just have them take care of them. Once again, thanks!
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    if it is $54

thats not including the shipping price... shipping and return shipping with insurance would add 20 bucks so your up to $74 more then 3/4 the price I paid for brand new sights installed.

You right though. If you can wait its a cheaper alternative but me... I don't want to be without a CCW for 3-5 weeks it will take them to get it back to me.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Links