Looking for options other than "company magazines"

This is a discussion on Looking for options other than "company magazines" within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are there options out there to buy high quality high cap magazines? for S&W, XDm, SIG or Glock????? I am NOT a happy camper with ...

Thread: Looking for options other than "company magazines"

Are there options out there to buy high quality high cap magazines? for S&W, XDm, SIG or Glock????? I am NOT a happy camper with the magazines for S&W M&P line - other than the poorly designed followers and front lip of the mag the rest of the gun is solid gold (so far) I tried the search feature, but came up with nothing helpfull except a few 1911 mag threads.

HELP!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

VIP Member
    Mec-Gar Magazines

They make some mags for the Sig 226 (I see you have the 229), but I don't see any for Glock, M&P, or the XDm.

Yea, that was the first place I tried... Any other ideas? I can not believe that S&W uses such poorly designed followers........

What kind of issues are you having with the M&P mags? I can't seem to find any complaints out there and everyone seems to sell the factory originals too. I have used Mec-Gar for one of my (non M&P) S&W pistols and they are fine.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

I should have gone into that earlier. My issue with the stock magazines is the "arms" on the followers - most of the followers I have seen have straight arms, that is the arms fit flush against the front and back of the magazine keeping the follower level and the rounds pointing at the right angle.

The S&W follower arms are straight for the first 1/4 inch and then both the front and the back angle inward, allowing the follower to shift like a boat moving over waves, rocking back and forth. The problem this causes is that the second to last round in the magazine (in all three magazines) catches the rim of the casing on the forward end of the magazine body because the follower slants as the round is stripped from the mag.

It only happens when the round strips out slower than normal - so firing the weapon clean and lubed I havent had an issue. I haven't fired it enough to see if it is an issue when the gun is starting to get gummed up by carbon or sand or anything else that may slow the weapon down if I choose to use it as a duty fire arm.

I first noticed the phenomenon when I was function checking the gun with snap caps - I went to the range and did some function checks with Ranger SXT's and foud it did the same thing.

I also noticed that each mag rattles when filled to between 7 and 11 rounds - also due to the poorly designed follower. Any ideas on how to stop that? I will give this all a try next time I go to the range with some other ammo types to makew sure its not just the SXT's.

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links