Police Scanner

Police Scanner

This is a discussion on Police Scanner within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my old Bearcat scanner out the other day during a storm. The weather picked up fine, but I could not get any police/fire ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police Scanner

Police Scanner

I got my old Bearcat scanner out the other day during a storm. The weather picked up fine, but I could not get any police/fire signals comming in. I know its an old model. Do they make modern versions that can pick up the new digital/high tech/trunked(whatever that is) signals?

Yes, if your willing to pay $250.00 and up. Check out Radio Shack or scanner websites. I don't know what kind of frequencies you can find for your area.

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Administrator
    Yes, you can but it is expensive. If the police in your area do things right, or don't want people listening in, you won't be able to with out a lot of equipment and even more knowledge.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Any department that has gone digital has almost certainly gone encrypted, as well.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Mic
    Scanners are worthless if local LE is using encrypted channels. Most have gone hi tech and it will cost you quite a bit.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Ah yes...the old Uniden Bearcat scanner. You can probably still get the weather repeater and a few other things on it. Mostly it's mixed now....digital and what not. Modern technology.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Radio Shack is your friend. Go ask them lots of questions. Take $$$.

Do a search for "scanner frequencies" too. Some are fee sites, some are worthless, but some have lots of info. Still, the local RS will have the best info.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Yes, if your willing to pay $250.00 and up. Check out Radio Shack or scanner websites. I don't know what kind of frequencies you can find for your area.

joker1
    Actually Scanners start around $99.99 at RadioShack (Catalog number 20-404 and 20-405 as an example). Trunking scanners (if needed) start at $199.99 (Catalog numbers 20-163 and 20-164). Check out RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference first to find out what you will need for your area. (Analog, Trunking, Digital, et. al.) There are some knowledgeable people at RadioShack and some that are just Cell Phone Salespeople. Just ask if they have a "scanner guy or gal" that can help you. Maybe call a few stores in the area before driving out to any one store.

Another good source for scanners and other parts is Universal Radio shortwave, amateur, scanner and CB radio since 1942. I have bought several items from them for my scanners and ham radio equipment before and have always been pleased with their service and products.

I have several scanners myself, Base station at home, mobile units in a couple vehicles, and two hand-held models.

Some of the Police Departments in my area are having problems getting signals in the "urban canyons" of their downtown areas and are either carrying two radios or a radio and a Nextel.

Anyway, if there are problems with communications (Power outages or natural disasters) most departments with use smaller radios (possibly analog) and/or enlist the help of local Ham Operators. Also Fire Departments and EMS sometimes do not share the same system as the Police and other LEOs, so while the LEO are digital, fire and EMS could still be analog.

My $.02
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2¼ barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

DC Founder
    If the agency you are looking to receive has gone digital you will find very few scanners that will work and will have to be programmed by someone that has the necessary codes. When our county went digital I bought a GRE handheld which is capable of receiving their traffic but had to have someone from the Sheriff's Office radio shop give me the codes. Since I use it in an "official capacity", but off duty, that was not a problem but I'm not sure where someone that is not a LEO would get that information....

As an aside, it took me a couple of months to find someone that wanted my Bearcat Trunk Tracker for free. Expect to pay $550-595 for a GRE.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference has live feeds from many jurisdictions. Check to see if they have a live feed and save your money for ammo.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    is it even legal to have a police scanner?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    is it even legal to have a police scanner?
    Sure, in most states, although some areas have restrictions on scanners in vehicles.

It's not illegal to listen, but if you act on the information you hear, there may be problems.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Sure, in most states, although some areas have restrictions on scanners in vehicles.

It's not illegal to listen, but if you act on the information you hear, there may be problems.
    Some states, if a scanner is used during the commission of a crime the penalties jump up a few notches.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2¼ barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Wink

OMG, I can't believe that free Americans are allowed by nanny state to have scanners. That needs to get fixed ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    OMG, I can't believe that free Americans are allowed by nanny state to have scanners. That needs to get fixed ASAP!
    Probably working thru congress as we communicate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links