Bug Out Bag business idea?

This is a discussion on Bug Out Bag business idea? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, as of late I have been kind of a gun show fanatic. I even drove 4 hours each way on Valentine's Day to attend ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So, as of late I have been kind of a gun show fanatic. I even drove 4 hours each way on Valentine's Day to attend a 1000 table show. I've got a partner in crime that has been going with me and our conversation always turns to how can we make some money at gun shows so we have some extra money for more guns?

Today I think we found a way. We were talking about bags and med kits, etc... We came up with the following:

Two types of pre fabbed Bug Out Bags. I small for the trunk and one large kit for when the stuff hits the fan.

The idea would be a base configuration, not sure what would be in it but we would start with some basics.
    -a six pack of bottled water
    -two shock blankets
    -two higher quality ponchos
    -LED light
    -hand crank radio/emergency light
    -some long term snacks, granola,jerky?
    -mirror
    -etc...

Then we would offer some al-a-carte choices:
    -med kit w/ clot, etc. Not some cheap $10 kit, something of substance.
    -Emergency rations
    -handheld GPS
    -firearm choice - 50 rounds of your favorite caliber in a good weatherrpoof case
    -etc.

Lots of other items that will change over time based on customer demand.

So here is the big question, would anyone buy one of these kits? The thought is that many want a BOB but don't have the energy to go shop for and gather all the contents. Here it would be at one quick easy place where it can be customized to your personal liking.

Let me hear your thoughts. Good idea or bad? What would be considered as the minimum load out for every kit? How much would you be willing to spend on a small kit? Large?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    the bug out bag sustains a person for up to 3 days. Usually they aren't cheap to make if you have to buy everything. If you offer pre-made kits then make sure to offer each component separate also so the person can buy more of this and that. Don't over think it making the price too high as most people don't know what they want and will buy cheap crap instead of something with substance.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I like it it would atleast give someone a jump off point. Like myself have threatened for years now to make one and have not. If I saw your product I would probably get one that would be a nice started kit for me.

Good Luck and Best Wishes
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

For feedback purposes, I would rather put mine together myself, but it would be nice to have a one stop shop in which to buy what I want in my bag. I think that others would like to have a pre assembled bag. Have some pre assembled bags, some starter bags that can be customized and a fully customizable option including different bag sizes.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    For feedback purposes, I would rather put mine together myself, but it would be nice to have a one stop shop in which to buy what I want in my bag. I think that others would like to have a pre assembled bag. Have some pre assembled bags, some starter bags that can be customized and a fully customizable option including different bag sizes.
    My thoughts exactly
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I think the only wat it would really make money is if you could get some sort of volume wholesale discount when buying supplies.

I like the idea of ACS Quickclot and a good medical kit

For water I would include both mylar pouches (found in life raft boat kits) for their long life and an empty lexan bottle. The Polar Pure iodine crystals are the best chemical treatment, but the DEA regulates them (meth lab!) so they are hard to buy (and hard for you to sell...). The treatment tablets have a short shelf life.

Bottom line is it is a cool idea, but you need to have things that are either hard for me to get or get enough wholesale discount that I can't just put it together myself for less...

I am not an impulse purchaser though. You may have a market!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Add small LED light that fit on the head or cap bil, so you can use both hands and still have light.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

You might want to go to this page and start some research on

"Mossberg/ASAP Survival Gear" they have done the research on what people want and need and come up with some pretty good ideas. You know what they say is the greatest form of flattery!

SHOT Show 2010 Report - Gear - EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm)

To agree with several other posts, Bug Out bags can be pricey to creat from scratch. This is especially true if you buy quality equipment. On the other hand though, if you buy a pre made kit, it is likely to be low in quality and lack a lot of the things you might want.

My suggestion is start with the basic essentials and build over time. Your Bug Out bag should be able to get you from one location to another, in other words it should be able to get you out of a bad area/situation - not necessarily sustain you (at least not for more then a few days). Here are the basics I would reccomend:

- Good Training (First Aid/Shooting)
    - Good Pistol (I reccomend Glock 19)
    - 3-5 Extra Loaded Mags
    - Small Mace
    - Small Knife
    - Trauma Kit (H Bandage/Israeli Bandage, Kerlix, Airway, Needle, Tourniquet)
    - Flashlight
    - Water/Some Food (maybe 1-2 MRE and some granola bars)
    - Respirator
    - Set of clothes w/ Jacket
    - Set of Gloves

In additon to these things, I keep a bigger kit in the truck. It includes more food, 5 gallons of water, rope, ratchet straps, Boo Boo Kit, Towels, Hygiene Kit, Jumper Cables, Zip Ties, Tape (electrical/100MPH), 550 Cord, Space Blanket, ASP, Batteries, extra ammo. I also have some survival stuff, like a water purifier, fishing kit, water tablets, flint/steel, sharpener, lights, whistle, etc.

Again, pre made kits are mostly sold to make money. In order to be really prepared you have to prepare your own kit with what you think YOU need. Most kits are made for small problems - you wanna be prepared for large problems because those are the situations that you are most likely going to bug out from. Furthermore, you need to train with your gear. Training is much more important then the gear itself.
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

This is great feedback guys! Keep it coming as I am learning a lot from you all.

NC Bullseye, thanks for the link. Great info there.

I would keep it simple...You dont want to get to much in overhead or make it too expensive for customers to buy. Like usmc3169 said its a personalized thing. Offer a low(basic), middle (basic plus) and a premium (fully stocked). Then have add ons available to make it their own. Maybe some good quality but inexpensive pistols (think Ruger GP100 or Sigma 9, etc.). Offer say two autos, and two revos, "throw in" a box of ammo. Have upgradable flashlights from the basic you offer like a mag lite etc. Find a quality brand and stick with it like (Fenix, etc.) Find good quality offerings and stick with those. If you get too many things you will spend a lot just in inventory control and acquisition. But get things the consumer will want. Like said above...most people will opt to buy cheap crap and call it a day. Offer the ability to move up, down and lateral, and it will truly be customizable. That will sell more than anything. Hope this helps.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

You forgot the whiskey.......

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I think geography plays a role in this as well... many things are universal, but someone in the desert southwest would have a few different needs than someone in New England... more water, a snakebite kit, etc...

I wouldn't fill up the bag completely, either... you need to leave a little room for supplies that are unique and personal to the buyer, ie, medicines, pistol and ammo, etc...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Administrator
    Interesting idea...

Here is what I'd do; I'd start with an inexpensive expandable pack, much like the old ALICE style packs. Then I'd put in the basic stuff that is pretty much universal to everybody's needs. Basic first aid, water container, waterproof matches,
    a poncho etc.

Then, I'd have a nice display of upgrades. Those could be endless, but I would limit them due to overhead, and sometimes to much selection will hinder sales, especially with impulse buyers. (and lets face it, impulse buyers are who you are aiming at in the gun show market) Maybe some MRE's, lights of different types, those sorts of things.

I'd also have a brochure with my website everywhere on it, there I would offer all kinds of items for sale. Those items could be drop shipped from a warehouse to your customer. This would keep your investment down and overhead low.

Gun shows tend to be an endless sea of junk; so you need something to get your customer over to your table. I'd create a display that would grab peoples attention. Lights do that, as do full size displays. For example, I'd dress a mannequin up like a normal guy. Jeans and a t shirt. Then put one of your packs on him. Have a rifle or shotgun slung across his front. (you can sell slings too) If you really want to make a statement, have a guy with a child in the display, or even an entire family. Maybe have a catchy phrase on a sign nearby, something that will get a passerby thinking about what you are actually selling and why.
    Here is a clue, what you are selling isn't the goods you have for sale. Think about that... and you will do a lot better moving your inventory.

Many have mentioned firearms. I wouldn't mess with that. Profit margins are way to low and there is a lot of competition and head ache involved with that. If you feel you must include guns into the mix, I'd piggy back on an existing FFL to handle the actual gun transactions.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree with Sixto...more when I thnk about it maybe get a local FFL in on the deal...offer "package deals" on a list of a few particular firearms. Anything outside of the list workout a "discount" for. Sixto is also right about promoting something intangible besides the actual items. Playing on peoples sense of security is key.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links