Watch

This is a discussion on Watch within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The 5:11 watch is nice. It has all the ballistics software built in for long distance shooting and is very durable cost is around $179.00...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watch

The 5:11 watch is nice. It has all the ballistics software built in for long distance shooting and is very durable cost is around $179.00

2. Remove Ads

Watch? When you are retired you don't need a watch just a calendar. When it is dark go to bed, when it is light get up.

I love this forum you cover many items.

Stay Safe,
    Doug
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Hmmmm.... I might have to rethink my watch selection.... Thanks guys, my wife isnt going to like this one!!

"Oh Honey...."

ooooOOOOOooooo..... Getting this one! Just gotta convince the wife I NEED it. Being a former sniper, something like this could come in handy from time to time!

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by IWLAFART View Post
    Watch? When you are retired you don't need a watch just a calendar. When it is dark go to bed, when it is light get up.

I love this forum you cover many items.

Stay Safe,
    Doug
    Ok, that's funny.

I just look at my cell phone for both calendar and watch. I've never been a big fan of stuff on my hands and wrists.

Az

Casio Pathfinder series. Awesome watch.

PAW1500T-7V - Pathfinder - Timepiece - Products - CASIO

Quote Originally Posted by mitocondriac View Post
    Geez i clearly did not know what i was taking about with upper echelon?? Wow I would feel ok doing $200 on a watch. Funnier but thanks for the info just want a good reliable watch that will take a little extra punishment with out busting.

Usually dont spend more then $50 on a watch but i always break them.
    Gotcha. Yeah I selected the middle of the road ones versus the $10K plus stuff that I can't justify either. I know a guy who is really into watches. He would drop $10K on a watch. He can spot a fake Rolex a mile away and notices watches like I notice cars and guns. Everyone has their thing.

Anyone else think it's kinda crazy to spend over $200, let alone $2000 on a watch? I guess we each have our own things, but it seems like a doo dad to me. What is the benefit over a $75 watch?

Personally I can't stand something on my wrist, so to each his own.

Glad you guys have the play money for stuff like that, good for you!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

200 for watch is not bad but I can't do 2k
    The way I see it, its all relative. I have Buddy's that go to nudie bars and drop at least $200.00 in a weekend and have nothing to show for it. I have watches that I spent that much on and still have them going on 10 years now. The same Friends have video game systems that I don't even want to know what kind of money they have in them. Its all what your into really.

Upper echelon watches start at about 1800 bucks. Mechanical watches are extremely fragile, and filled with hundreds of small parts. Most of these watches are also automatic, and therefore will not be accurate and need to be adjusted every so often to a reliable reference. If you want long term reliability a durable digital watch is the way to go. All of these "sporting" watches are for yuppies going snorkelling, not fighting. They are nice but certainly fall short for any of the uses you'd need it for to be considered "gear". YMMV.

...timex, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    Upper echelon watches start at about 1800 bucks. Mechanical watches are extremely fragile, and filled with hundreds of small parts. Most of these watches are also automatic, and therefore will not be accurate and need to be adjusted every so often to a reliable reference. If you want long term reliability a durable digital watch is the way to go. All of these "sporting" watches are for yuppies going snorkelling, not fighting. They are nice but certainly fall short for any of the uses you'd need it for to be considered "gear". YMMV.

...timex, lol.
    As far as timekeeping, you are correct. Mechanical (automatic) watches will on average lose about 5 minutes or more a month. However, there are plenty of watches that are just are durable, if not more so, than any Quartz watch you'll find. I personally own two different watches at the moment. One is a Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon "Mad Cow" Edition. It features a solid titanium case and band, a 3mm thick sapphire crystal, 300 meters water resistant, Swiss ETA 2834 automatic movement, shock resistant, anti-magnetic, can survive colds up to -40c, and uses tritium tubes in the hands and dial markers for constant nighttime visibility. I do not take off the watch at night, in the shower, playing sports, or at all really. Only time its off my wrist is when I'm wearing my other. It's a Tissot T-Touch Expert touch screen watch. Nothing too special, just cool. Has altimeter, barometer, thermometer, compass, azimuth, 2 alarms, stop watch, countdown timer, two time zone, 100 meters water resistant, titanium case and band, and a sapphire crystal.

From my experience, if your looking for a great watch at a great price, you cant go wrong with Luminox. They are Swiss made, water resistant, very tough, and the glow is unlike any watch you've ever seen. We sell them here in our stores, they'll start at about 200 bucks, and they are VERY popular. Many Military and Police officers that shop with us love them.

Also some nice options:

Chase-Durer
    Swiss Army
    Suunto
    Seiko
    Citizen
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

VIP Member
    I wear the watch Bill Clinton made famous. All I need. Everyone has their "toys" or vices I suppose. I had a co-worker who would drop thousands on cigars. I thought he was crazy, but I don't really smoke cigars. He probably thought I was crazy for all my guns and the pallets of ammo that he saw delivered to the office for me.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

This is what I wear daily. Seiko Black Monster dive watch. Heavy, but very confortable on either the steel bracelet or a rubber dive strap. Mechanical, but rugged and accurate. The lume is freakin' outstanding. It will light up my walk-in closet if I've been outside. Hit it with my Surefire light, and you might see it from the space station. I know I wouldn't want to get backhanded by someone with one on their wrist. The scalloped bezel might smart a bit...

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I wouldnt consider a watch a defensive weapon... not unless you want to know exactly how long it takes the BG to die after hitting him several times in the lower abdomen with your handgun.

Seriously, I just wear a Timex Indiglo Expedition wrist watch with the leather band. Oh, and its the girls model... DONT LAUGH! I have small wrists! A mens watch is too big for me. I dont like big 'ol goddy things on my wrists!
    The funny thing about this is that every time I shop for a watch I complain about the same thing. The faces on mens watches are MASSIVE.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by mitocondriac View Post
    Any thoughts is this a defensive weapon?
    Get yourself an English pocket watch gun if you want a defensive weapon timepeace

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links