Need help with a first aid kit

This is a discussion on Need help with a first aid kit within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just ordered my Maxpedition Lunada Gearslinger Shoulder Sling Tactical Messenger Gear Bag - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR Tactical Nylon Gear for Military, Law Enforcement, Tactical ...

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Need help with a first aid kit

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007

    Need help with a first aid kit

    I just ordered my
    Maxpedition Lunada Gearslinger Shoulder Sling Tactical Messenger Gear Bag - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR Tactical Nylon Gear for Military, Law Enforcement, Tactical Concealed Carry; Tailored to Perform Tactical

    and have been going through what I wan't to carry in it. This will mainly be a "trip" bag. Spending a day at a outdoor festival, a couple hour hike, walking around downtown, etc. I would like to carry some sort of first aid kit. My aim is to keep it as small as possible while keeping it as flexible as possible. I would like more then just the standard couple bandaids and some ointment if you know what I mean. Does anyone know of a good premade, verstaile, small first aid kit?

    Thanks!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array jwhite75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    5,319
    Just happen to have been researching this very thing for my bag,
    Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits UltraLight and Watertight .5 Kit: Health & Personal Care

    I like these.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.


    I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array First Sgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    7,967
    Here are a couple of "Boo Boo" kits makeups. Perhaps you can determine your kit through a combo of any/all of the ingredients in these two. Both of these kits were recommended by "tactical medics" for the average citizen. Of course we all should consider a "Blow Out" kit in our vehicle for serious injuries (i.e. Gunshot, major accidents, etc). Last but not least, I believe we should all consider some type of "medical training course" in the event we need to use these things. Medical training could potentially be just as important as weapons training. JMO

    Boo Boo Kit #1

    1. Naproxyn Sodium “Aleve”
    2. Non sedating antihistamine – Claritin
    3. Tummy pill – Prilosec, Zantac, etc. & TUMS tablets
    4. Tetracaine eye anesthetic
    5. Saline eye wash or contact lens wetting agent
    6. Bandaids & small Telfa pads
    7. Mole foam or mole skin
    8. Duct tape
    9. Antibiotic ointment
    10. Sewing needle for splinters, blisters, blood under nails & etc.
    11. Dental floss
    12. Temporary filling material – Cavit or whatever
    13. Super glue gel
    14. Cough drops
    15. Sudafed decongestant
    16. Imodium anti-diarrheal
    17. Steroid cream
    18. Fungus cream


    Boo Boo Kit #2

    1. 2 500ccNS bags with Morgan Lens' and nasal cannulas for eye washing.
    2. sunscreen
    3. insect repellant and Sting Ease
    4. mole skin
    5. OTC meds (Tylenol, Motrin, Pepto, etc.)
    6. dental gum
    7. cotton swabs
    8. heat and cold packs
    9. foot powder
    10. body powder
    11. Band Aids
    12. Murine
    13. SAM Splints
    14. Kerlix
    15. 4x4's and 2x2's
    16. burn jel
    17. tongue blades
    18. ACE bandages

    Additional Items to consider:

    Emergency Blanket. One of those silver things, the size of a travel pack of Kleenex.
    2-4, maxi pads - (yes, feminine hygene pads) OR 9x5 "Ab Sponges"
    2-4, 4x4 sterile guaze squares
    2 prs, NON Latex medical gloves
    Antiseptic Wipes
    Saline Solution mini travel size, 2oz, for rinsing wounds or eyes.
    Adhesive Tape small roll
    3" rolled guaze (Kling is recommended because it holds to itself)
    Triangular Bandage - can be used as a tournequet, etc.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

  5. #4
    Senior Member Array Avenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    nowhere, usa
    Posts
    713
    Having the proper training to use items in a complete medics bag is essential. Not just a basic First Aid course, I am talking get some training! The American Trauma Society offers trauma training. Get the training.

    This is some of the things I carry in my MedPack:
    Suture kit
    QuikClot
    Tampons (great for gunshot holes!)
    Normal saline IV kit w/adult and pediatric catheters
    Gloves
    Topical antibiotics (Neosporin)
    Burn kit
    Wound irrigation supply
    Mask
    Goggles
    Water purification
    Rubbing alcohol
    Aspirin (ONLY FOR HEART ATTACK CASES ONLY)
    Acetaminophen
    Splints
    Blankets
    Blood psi cuff
    Small oxygen tank and nasal canula
    Bandage (variety)
    Gauze
    Tongue hooks
    Bag mask
    Cold packs
    Non-drowsy anti-histamine
    Scalpel
    Medical scissors
    Hemostat
    Medical tape
    Stethoscope

    Thats pretty much all I can remember from my pack. Yes, I come from a family of doctors, nurses, EMT's, and various other medical professions. Not to mention my background in survival in the military and civilian world. This is for a TRAUMA bag that I carry. Its pretty much everything you could need shy of getting a script for antibiotics. Getting the proper training to use these materials is a must, if you dont get the training, these items are worthless. All of this fits inside my med pack and can be carried on my back if needed. Dont really have much room for anything else, but, its a trauma kit that works!

  6. #5
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    As a paramedic I have made and use many different custom made First Aid Kits I have put together myself, including the advance life support medic pack for our tactical swat team. You can always go that route... however, in the long run, it can get fairly expensive trying to piecemeal each individual item together.

    Recently, I have really looked closely at the products from Adventure Medical Kits (AMK), and I have to say, they have top quality, professionally designed First Aid Kits which will fit just about every need or requirement. At their website I counted at least 50 - 75 different First Aid Kits and individual component kits ranging from $5 kits in heavy zip lock pocket packs about the size of a 3"x5" card all the way up to $500 kits for expedition base camp use during International travel.

    What I recently put in my BOB is the AMK Ultralight .9 FAK

    AMK Ultralight .9 (Dimensions: 6" x 9" x 2" - 10 Oz.)



    It is an ultralight waterproof kit which weighs 10 Oz. The pouch is made from lightweight and high tech silicone coated ripstop nylon which weighs 1.3 oz/yd. Inside, the contents of the first aid kit are also contained within two 6"x9" Aloksak waterproof ziploc bags certified by the US Navy waterproof to 200 feet. It is rated for 1 - 4 people for trips lasting up to a week or two. (Perfect for a BOB kit)

    List of contents:
    Bandage Materials
    3 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 3" x 3", Pkg./2
    2 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2
    1 Bandage, Conforming Gauze, 3"
    2 Bandage, Stockinette Tubular, 1" x 4"
    1 Bandage, Elastic, Self Adhering, 2"
    2 Dressing, Non-Adherent, Sterile, 3" x 4"
    5 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3"
    3 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle

    Bleeding
    1 Gloves, Nitrile (Pair), Hand Wipe
    1 Trauma Pad, 5" x 9"

    Blister / Burn
    2 Moleskin, Pre-Cut & Shaped

    Duct Tape
    1 Duct Tape, 2" x 100"

    Instrument
    1 Splinter Picker/Tick Remover Forceps
    3 Safety Pins

    Medication
    4 Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2
    2 Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg)
    6 Diamode (Loperamide HCI 2 mg), Pkg./1

    Wound Care
    1 Syringe, Irrigation, 10 cc, 18 Gauge Tip
    1 Tape, 1" x 10 Yards
    1 Tincture of Benzoin Topical Adhesive, Vial
    6 After Cuts & Scrapes Anethestic/Antiseptic Wipe
    1 Cotton Tip Applicator, Pkg./2
    3 Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Single Use
    1 Wound Closure Strips, 1/4" x 4", Pkg./10

    Other
    2 Aloksak Waterproof Bag, 6" x 9"

    Now seriously, that's a lot of stuff in a kit that weighs 10 Oz. and only cost $30.

    I found it to be a perfect kit for my BOB and I have added a few items on my own like some Water Jel burn dressings and ointment, a Dental Emergencies kit, Combat Tourniquet, and a few other goodies to personalize mine a bit and broaden it's range of capacity. I also added a few more OTC meds.

    In the Ultralight Series they have the .3; .5; .7; & .9 kits. But AMK has well over 50 kits to choose from. You can get their kits from the main website Adventure Medical Kits

    Another very good source for not only first aid kits, but also all things having to do with Survival or Wilderness Self Reliance you can get at Survival Resources

    I purchased my AMK Ultralight .9 kit from Survival Resources. The owner, John McCann is a former USMC survival instructor and I can't say enough about his company, products, prices and quality of his business. His company also teaches wilderness survival courses as well. Give his website a look.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    As a paramedic I have made and use many different custom made First Aid Kits I have put together myself, including the advance life support medic pack for our tactical swat team. You can always go that route... however, in the long run, it can get fairly expensive trying to piecemeal each individual item together.

    Recently, I have really looked closely at the products from Adventure Medical Kits (AMK), and I have to say, they have top quality, professionally designed First Aid Kits which will fit just about every need or requirement. At their website I counted at least 50 - 75 different First Aid Kits and individual component kits ranging from $5 kits in heavy zip lock pocket packs about the size of a 3"x5" card all the way up to $500 kits for expedition base camp use during International travel.

    What I recently put in my BOB is the AMK Ultralight .9 FAK

    AMK Ultralight .9 (Dimensions: 6" x 9" x 2" - 10 Oz.)



    It is an ultralight waterproof kit which weighs 10 Oz. The pouch is made from lightweight and high tech silicone coated ripstop nylon which weighs 1.3 oz/yd. Inside, the contents of the first aid kit are also contained within two 6"x9" Aloksak waterproof ziploc bags certified by the US Navy waterproof to 200 feet. It is rated for 1 - 4 people for trips lasting up to a week or two. (Perfect for a BOB kit)

    List of contents:
    Bandage Materials
    3 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 3" x 3", Pkg./2
    2 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2
    1 Bandage, Conforming Gauze, 3"
    2 Bandage, Stockinette Tubular, 1" x 4"
    1 Bandage, Elastic, Self Adhering, 2"
    2 Dressing, Non-Adherent, Sterile, 3" x 4"
    5 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3"
    3 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle

    Bleeding
    1 Gloves, Nitrile (Pair), Hand Wipe
    1 Trauma Pad, 5" x 9"

    Blister / Burn
    2 Moleskin, Pre-Cut & Shaped

    Duct Tape
    1 Duct Tape, 2" x 100"

    Instrument
    1 Splinter Picker/Tick Remover Forceps
    3 Safety Pins

    Medication
    4 Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2
    2 Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg)
    6 Diamode (Loperamide HCI 2 mg), Pkg./1

    Wound Care
    1 Syringe, Irrigation, 10 cc, 18 Gauge Tip
    1 Tape, 1" x 10 Yards
    1 Tincture of Benzoin Topical Adhesive, Vial
    6 After Cuts & Scrapes Anethestic/Antiseptic Wipe
    1 Cotton Tip Applicator, Pkg./2
    3 Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Single Use
    1 Wound Closure Strips, 1/4" x 4", Pkg./10

    Other
    2 Aloksak Waterproof Bag, 6" x 9"

    Now seriously, that's a lot of stuff in a kit that weighs 10 Oz. and only cost $30.

    I found it to be a perfect kit for my BOB and I have added a few items on my own like some Water Jel burn dressings and ointment, a Dental Emergencies kit, Combat Tourniquet, and a few other goodies to personalize mine a bit and broaden it's range of capacity. I also added a few more OTC meds.

    In the Ultralight Series they have the .3; .5; .7; & .9 kits. But AMK has well over 50 kits to choose from. You can get their kits from the main website Adventure Medical Kits

    Another very good source for not only first aid kits, but also all things having to do with Survival or Wilderness Self Reliance you can get at Survival Resources

    I purchased my AMK Ultralight .9 kit from Survival Resources. The owner, John McCann is a former USMC survival instructor and I can't say enough about his company, products, prices and quality of his business. His company also teaches wilderness survival courses as well. Give his website a look.
    That looks fantastic! Going to order the ultralight .7 right now. Thanks for the info!!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  8. #7
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Rollo!

    Be sure and check out Survival Resources. They may have those unique specialty items you need for your kit.

    Another great source for high quality survival kit items is Best Glide Aviation Survival Equipment.

    The Best Glide survival fishing kits can not be beat anywhere! I keep one of their "Standard Survival Fishing Kits" in my BOB as well.

    Best Glide Standard Survival Fishing Kit
    (packed sealed in a waterproof 4.5" x 3" x 1" metal tin about the size of an Altoids mint tin)


    Contents
    Manual: Fishing Tips and Instructions
    Jig: (1) 2" Swirl Tail Grub
    Jig: (1) Tiny Shad
    Jig: (1) 1 1/2" Tube Jig
    Spoon: (1) 1/4 oz.
    Bait: (8) Salmon Eggs
    Fly: (1) Size 8
    Fly: (1) Size 10 1/8
    Razor: (1) Folding Razor Knife
    Hooks: (2) Treble
    Hooks: (3) #4
    Hooks: (3) #6
    Hooks: (3) #8
    Leaders: (4) Wire Wound Leaders
    Split Shot: (4) BB
    Split Shot: (4) 3/0
    Bobber: (1) ¾”
    Line: (50 Ft) 12LB
    Line: (25 Ft) 30LB
    Ready Line: (Line, Bobber, Sinker, Hook)
    Desiccant: (1) Moisture Absorbing Packet

    There's enough of room to add some of your extra stuff!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  9. #8
    Distinguished Member
    Array cammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,273
    I think any kit needs at least 6 Benedryl antihistimine. If I am having a serious reaction it's 3 immediately, same for my sister with a peanut allergy, take three then get her in or call it in asap. Hopefully she has the epi now all the time.

    I carry them along with bandaids, blood blotters/cravats, aspirin, and tweezers everywhere/always and can't tell you how many times I've given out the benedryl when boating, golfing, biking, skiing, etc etc.

    Good topic.

    ps. congrats on the Maxpedition, these look really neat.

  10. #9
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    +1 on Benadryl. I think I keep something around 12 or 14 of them in my kit. In other kits I keep a whole bottle of 50.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array jwhite75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    5,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    That looks fantastic! Going to order the ultralight .7 right now. Thanks for the info!!
    Geesh Rollo the least you could have done is thanked me for suggesting those to you first. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.


    I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Geesh Rollo the least you could have done is thanked me for suggesting those to you first. LOL
    Lol, sorry. I must have skipped over your post. But thanks for bringing it up again because I didn't realize you could get them at amazon. This will same me some money because I need to order a SD card for my new digital camera and I can bundle the card with my kit to save shipping! :)
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array jwhite75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    5,319
    Yeah I have been looking at these and am probably gonna buy the .9
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.


    I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

  14. #13
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,275
    For Sure ADD MyClyns spray.
    Can be sprayed directly in the eyes and nose & mouth and open wounds.
    In case some disease ridden low life hits you with infected spit, blood, feces, urine...etc.

    MyClyns Germ Protection Spray
    The first and only non-alcohol germ-killing spray that can be applied directly to the face, MyClyns helps provide protection in an easy to use convenient and portable device.

    Now available to consumers for the very first time, MyClyns is the same product used for years and trusted by police, firefighters, EMS, and healthcare workers to help protect them immediately after a possible exposure to germs.

    Independent laboratory test have shown that the solution in MyClyns reduces by 99.99% more than 60 pathogens including MRSA and E. coli.

    MyClyns is safe to apply directly into the eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and minor cuts and abrasions – locations where germs are most likely to enter the body.

    MyClyns germ protection spray is the only option that you can keep in your purse, briefcase, office drawer or first aid kit, and can apply directly to your face and skin when you are at home, work, or play.

    MyClyns Personal Spray contains a 510(k) medical device solution cleared by the FDA as a wound cleanser (under 21 CFR §880.5090).

  15. #14
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    QKShooter... +1 on the MyClyns spray! It's a bit pricey but can really save you a lot of grief from potential infection. Btw... If you need to use it, it is recommended that you use the entire spray unit. Don't save any for later exposures. It is designed to be used as a single use unit dose so hose yourself down until it is empty.

    You can purchase the MyClens from AllMed here.

    We use AllMed as our primary EMS supplier because they have some of the cheapest prices compared to other suppliers and very fast shipping. In Missouri, you get it the next day for no additional charge. They also sell to individuals, have no minimum order size and will ship to private residences.

    It is the size of a large pen with a pocket clip so it can be carried anywhere ready for use.

    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  16. #15
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,275
    Thanks for the extremely helpful addition Bark'n.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

amk - ultra light

,

best glide aviation survival equipment aloksak

,

bestglide tweezers

,

ccw med kit

,

concealed carry first aid kit

,
first aid kit contents bob
,
fly fishing survival kit
,

good premaid biking first aid kit

,

survival first aid kit in a can

,

survival pack fishing kit

,

swirl tail grub jig

,

waterproof travel pouch

Click on a term to search for related topics.