9x18 Makarov reloading

9x18 Makarov reloading

This is a discussion on 9x18 Makarov reloading within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I just received a CZ-82 that is really nice as far as design, etc. Mechanically it seems fine, just a bit of finish wear, chips, ...

Thread: 9x18 Makarov reloading

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.

9x18 Makarov reloading

I just received a CZ-82 that is really nice as far as design, etc. Mechanically it seems fine, just a bit of finish wear, chips, dings, etc. I haven't fired it yet, but if it works okay, I intend to make it a "project" gun. DuroCoat, wood grips, etc.

Anyone out there reload the 9x18 Mak? Any tips for reloading it? My preference is lead bullets, available in 93 grain RN.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

How is the bullet selection for .364 vs .355 bullets? I know Speer has a 90g GD and a 95g round nose.
    Some folks get a 380 barrel so they can get good performance from the .355 bullet.
    The Speer Manual list .364 bullets and loads. The Hornady manual does not.
    Sorry I have not loaded any 9x18 bullets.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

ask me in about one/two months. i am going to start reloading and casting for the 9x18. just got to order the bullet sizing die and the forester pilot for the 9x18. i will make my brass from 9mm brass and cast the bullets from my rcbs mold. i have not worked up what load i will use at this time. that is the easy part. lots of loads and good info over at the p64 resource site.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    Is it 2 months yet?

I don't know if I want to go the casting route. But I have made up my list for dies, shell holders, case trimmers for converting 9mm Lugar brass (although 9x18 brass is readily avail), and such.

Meister's has 93 grn 9x18 cast bullets and they're pretty reasonable and quick. I'm going to run a couple of boxes thru my CZ-82 first, then tear it down for refinishing, new grips, etc.

Then if it still works, I'll invest in the reloading gear. Looking forward to shooting and "pimping out" this little pistol.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

EW3
    9x18 Makarov is one of the few rounds left that you can still buy cheap and lots of it available, why try to reload it?
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    9x18 Makarov is one of the few rounds left that you can still buy cheap and lots of it available, why try to reload it?
    Why fix your own car? Why cook your own food?

Because I enjoy it!? I find reloading relaxing. I enjoy pulling the trigger on my cartridges. I can create loads that aren't available commercially. Many reasons to reload rounds that are cheap.

9x18 ammo is not cheap here. over $25.00 a box of 50. that is if you can find it. i like reloading and will get a good home made load for my p64.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    Okay, so the -82 is stripped and prepped for refinishing, so while I ordered a batch of DuraCoat supplies, I went ahead and ordered the dies, seat, case trimmers, etc. for the 9x18.

Now if only I can remember how all those little pieces go back together! ;-)

I want to develop a load for a 115gr Rim Rock cast bullet. Buffalo Bore is working on it. I think it would be a great carry round. I would put heavy spring in for recoil. I have checked the twist in the barrel and it is almost the same as the 9mm luger. Mak 1t to 9.45" , Luger 1t to 9.84" and with different size bullets it calculates out about same. If any one has some load data on this round email me @ fkniper1@cox.net. I would like to have a starting point and wouldn't want to re-invent the wheel.

fknipfer1

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    9X18 is wonderful to reload if you cast.

You can convert 9mm luger cases to 9X18. There are many youtube videos of people showing how.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    I've already convereted a box of 9mm Lugars to 9x18 Maks. It's a bit tedious (size, expand, trim, etc.) but I've got the time. Bought some brass black to mark them so they won't look like someone else's 9x19s at the range.

Once I get done DuraCoating my CZ-82 and get it reassembled, I'm ordering some lead 93 grains.

Sponsored Links