reloading enjoyment - Page 2

reloading enjoyment

This is a discussion on reloading enjoyment within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by jem102 I shoot my Glocks most of the time as well for the same reason. I never shoot my wheel guns anymore ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: reloading enjoyment

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    I shoot my Glocks most of the time as well for the same reason. I never shoot my wheel guns anymore because of scrubbing out all those darn holes the next day (or week).
    I don't know what you are or aren't doing, but it never takes me more than five minutes to clean the cylinder on any of my revolvers. With the proper cleaning supplies, it just isn't all that hard or time consuming.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    We need to meet!
    I just pulled my m1a and it has never been cleaned. Thank God i mostly shoot pistol and the are mostly glock whichil I clean maybe once a year.
    And some people wonder why their firearms malfunction.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I don't know what you are or aren't doing, but it never takes me more than five minutes to clean the cylinder on any of my revolvers. With the proper cleaning supplies, it just isn't all that hard or time consuming.
    Well I believe I use most of the same stuff everyone else does, brushes, patches, Q-tips, cloth, paper towels and proper solvents and oils (I just tried Gunzilla and am quite pleased).

But a detailed cleaning of the Colt Trooper after a heavy range session runs 30 minutes +.

My Glocks and H&K 10-15 minutes for a very through cleaning.

1911"s 15-30 minutes (depends on if a touch up after a couple weeks of carry or a detailed strip & clean after a range session).

AR match rifles & M1 about an hour after an 88 round match.

Riot gun 10-15 minutes.

Guess I'm just slow.

But I enjoy hand loading so I "endeavor to persevere" through the cleaning cycles.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Well I believe I use most of the same stuff everyone else does, brushes, patches, Q-tips, cloth, paper towels and proper solvents and oils (I just tried Gunzilla and am quite pleased).

But a detailed cleaning of the Colt Trooper after a heavy range session runs 30 minutes +.

My Glocks and H&K 10-15 minutes for a very through cleaning.

1911"s 15-30 minutes (depends on if a touch up after a couple weeks of carry or a detailed strip & clean after a range session).

AR match rifles & M1 about an hour after an 88 round match.

Riot gun 10-15 minutes.

Guess I'm just slow.

But I enjoy hand loading so I "endeavor to persevere" through the cleaning cycles.
    Yea, I would say you are slow - or maybe thorough.

The comment was about cleaning cylinders, not whole firearms, BTW.

I normally spend about 20 minutes per firearm. 90 percent of the cleaning is done with GunScrubber and brushes, so there's really no "heavy" cleaning to be done.

It takes me longer to disassemble my M1 than it does to clean it. Actually, I only clean it every couple of thousand rounds because I don't like disturbing the glass bedding all that much. I don't have any ARs but I do have a Mini14. Again, it gets cleaned every couple of thousand rounds.

Cleaning, to some, is a religious experience; to me it's a necessary evil.

I just enjoyed melting down 140 pounds of wheel weights into muffin Ingots,each one weighs right at 2 pounds,took me about 2 hours and I only got another 5 gallon bucket to do,but not til I hafta
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I just enjoyed melting down 140 pounds of wheel weights into muffin Ingots,each one weighs right at 2 pounds,took me about 2 hours and I only got another 5 gallon bucket to do,but not til I hafta
    Now THAT is a religious experience!!!

I started reloading because I couldn't find any ammo. I love both reloading and shooting but there is something about making your own ammo that is just unique.
    I love seeing boxes of loaded ammo, taking them to the range and testing different loads and calibers. My time loading is ME time. It is way cheaper that going to therapy AND I get to shoot it afterwards. I got tired of going to Walmart 10 times, just to find out the guy before me is taking the last 2 boxes of .45 and .357...
    I also like to know that if a natural disaster strikes (hurricanes are very common here in FL) I always have a couple of thousand rounds worth of components I can load if I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Stupid question. Is it a natural progression to enjoy reloading ammunition more than actually Shooting. I still shoot close to 1500-2000 rounds a month but I enjoy making ammo now more than shooting it
    Is this normal?

I mean I still train and stay proficient in my drills etc... but I find myself desiring more to make ammunition.
    LOL Welcome to the club!

I'm late to this neato thread but sure do love handloading. I know I'd still handload even if it was the more expensive way to obtain ammunition.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

yes , i am a reloader and cast bullet maker junkie.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Great hobby in addition to shooting. Ive been reloading for about 2 years now. And Im going to start loading a few more calibers as well as 12 and 20 guage shotshells. And theres nothing like a job well done when you shoot your own ammo.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I find it very therapeutic.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Reloading brings a sense of satisfaction whether you turn out 50 in a year, or 20k. DIY is always a good thing. Think of how many have the opportunity but never do it.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    for sure its a way to get more bullets the way you want them for a lot less$$
    this goes with that you find spending prep time and press time to be more worthy than vegging
    at a tv or chasing the neighbors.....h, heck--dog

pistol to replicate $2 SD ammo for 18 cents or match grade rifle for 40 cents.
    its a part of shooting yet a ~seperate hobby

im up to 29 separate calibers ( 4 are obsolete; like the Colt 32 Long (and Short)
    i've seen posts by some who do more.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I often find myself loading ammo and/or casting bullets instead of shooting. I can get to my garage easier than someplace to shoot. And then there are the hours I browse forums instead of shooting, loading OR casting :-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links