reloading enjoyment

This is a discussion on reloading enjoyment within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Stupid question. Is it a natural progression to enjoy reloading ammunition more than actually Shooting. I still shoot close to 1500-2000 rounds a month but ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: reloading enjoyment

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

reloading enjoyment

Stupid question. Is it a natural progression to enjoy reloading ammunition more than actually Shooting. I still shoot close to 1500-2000 rounds a month but I enjoy making ammo now more than shooting it
    Is this normal?

I mean I still train and stay proficient in my drills etc... but I find myself desiring more to make ammunition.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Great hobby... I must be a little loose in the mainspring also.. Still reload ammo in calibers I no longer have handguns for.. Never know when might I spot a bargain 1911 or a .44 magnum or a .380 or a.........

I have the bullets and the brass so I sit down and roll a few hundred when ever I need therapy. Hate to see those plastic boxes sitting around empty..Oh yeah, I have to buy some more boxes

bosco

Senior Moderator
    Yep.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    can y'all reload for me? I spend more time shooting then reloading.
    Chevyguy85 likes this.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I like reloading and shooting both, but think I like shooting a bit more.

What I don't like is having to buy new supplies, like bullets, powder, primers. So I find myself not wanting to shoot because that means I'll need to reload and use my supplies and then need to buy more.

This is probably only a problem for me becuase I'm so damn broke all the time.

I fired 250 rounds this week and have reloaded 150 so far, still 100 to go. I feel guilty when I shoot. Like I'm wasting supplies. Crazy I know. I mean, that is why I bought the stuff to begin with. I guess it's part of my packrat syndrome or something. lol.

I still do it though by rationalizing the fact that I am making ammo for way less than I can buy it, if I cold find any. And by reminding myself that vigilance is necessary to remain proficient, thus I must be both.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I still use my old Herters single-stage press for my reloading. I find it ... therapeutic!
    But, it's a bit like buying cigarettes--spending hard-earned money just to watch it go up in smoke!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Stupid question. Is it a natural progression to enjoy reloading ammunition more than actually Shooting. I still shoot close to 1500-2000 rounds a month but I enjoy making ammo now more than shooting it
    Is this normal?

I mean I still train and stay proficient in my drills etc... but I find myself desiring more to make ammunition.
    Hi! My name is Lon and I'm a reloader.

Caution!!! You have just admitted to a subtle addiction!!! You know you are a reloading junkie when you go shooting solely to empty cases so you'll have more to reload.

The only known treatment (there is NO cure!!!) is to buy large quantities of once-fired brass or scrounge everything you can get your hands on at the range.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I gotta admit that melting down wheel weights then casting bullets then lubing each bullet then sorting brass then cleaning brass then loading brass has become almost like having a J.O.B. I enjoy it more when I got music playing,only problem is If I turn to my left the computers there and I just gotta check DC then 2 hours later I ain't loaded nothing
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It's a great addiction or disease to have I think I might be a carrier.
    I reject your reality, and insert my own.

Quote Originally Posted by isme View Post
    It's a great addiction or disease to have I think I might be a carrier.
    Just about covers it for me as well. Started when I was 12...59 in 2 weeks. I find I enjoy reloading more and more each year. The problem is cleaning the guns after you shoot everything up to get the empties. I hate cleaning the guns.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I know a few people that consider shooting a neccessary evil to continue their reloading.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Just about covers it for me as well. Started when I was 12...59 in 2 weeks. I find I enjoy reloading more and more each year. The problem is cleaning the guns after you shoot everything up to get the empties. I hate cleaning the guns.
    We need to meet!
    I just pulled my m1a and it has never been cleaned. Thank God i mostly shoot pistol and the are mostly glock whichil I clean maybe once a year.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass." - Trooper M. Padgett
    Not if a reloader got there first
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Not if a reloader got there first
    Amen to that! I scoop up brass faster than a scourge of locus can clean up a field of crops.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    We need to meet!
    I just pulled my m1a and it has never been cleaned. Thank God i mostly shoot pistol and the are mostly glock whichil I clean maybe once a year.
    I shoot my Glocks most of the time as well for the same reason. I never shoot my wheel guns anymore because of scrubbing out all those darn holes the next day (or week).
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links