which powder for 9mm - Page 2

which powder for 9mm

This is a discussion on which powder for 9mm within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I guess I gotta be diferent,I like w231.Although when i went to cabelas this last friday I was looking for some unique.I let the salesman ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: which powder for 9mm

I guess I gotta be diferent,I like w231.Although when i went to cabelas this last friday I was looking for some unique.I let the salesman talk me into getting some new powder called win auto comp.Supposed to be better than what I use,I'll see. sj

Look at wst instead of 231. It burns cleaner

HS-6 and Power Pistol. They both meter well, and provide excellent high-end performance. However, PP does create a much louder report.

I've used a lot of Unique for .38 Special/.357 Magnum loads, but, even though it is quite versatile, it never metered well for me.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

I loaded up some test rounds yesterday. My first in 9mm. I loaded WSF, HP38(231), and WST. WST and HP38 were really filled the case and were easier to see as they are a lighter color than WSF. The WSF is a ball powser vs flake, so it didn't fill as full and was darker. Hopefully today or tomorrow we'll see how they fly.

Mike
    SA LW Champion Operator x 2!
    DPMS AR-15

..Unique...

Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
    I loaded up some test rounds yesterday. My first in 9mm. I loaded WSF, HP38(231), and WST. WST and HP38 were really filled the case and were easier to see as they are a lighter color than WSF. The WSF is a ball powser vs flake, so it didn't fill as full and was darker. Hopefully today or tomorrow we'll see how they fly.

Mike
    How much WST are you dropping, and for what bullet?

Smile I've tried a lot of them

and settled on AA#5. Unique is great, but drives me to distraction with metering. lots of good ones but AA#5 just says yes to me. meters sooooo consistently, 1,000 rds per pound, accurate and reasonably clean.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Unique for almost all my handgun loadings.

I started with Green Dot (good results but seems to be very dirty) but have moved to Unique and I am very pleased.
    " I'm tired of following my Dreams. From now on I will just ask them where they are going and meet up with them later." M.Headberg

I use Bullseye or Unique for most of my pistol loads, though I do also load 700x in 44mags and in .357s. Next time I am around a shop that carries W231 I am going to pick up a keg of that , it looks like an interesting powder. I have never even opened my tite group or power pistol.... perhaps I eventually will.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I wanted to go back and revise the info on Titegroup. Yes, it is possible for me to double-charge the 3.4--3.5gr of Titegroup I throw, but that puts the powder so close to the top of the case I don't think you could actually seat a bullet on top of it.

Furthermore, I load real bunny-fart loads for IDPA, 147gr bullet running not much more than 850fps. If I wanted to load closer to 1,000fps, I don't think a double-charge would be physically possible at that point.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Lots of great choices for 9mm. I like WSF, HS6, and #5 the most. #7 will work as will Power Pistol. I don't care for anything else.

My personal loads all use WSF. It is wonderful with lead and jacketed. If you still have your Kimber 9mm, WSF is very lead friendly. Use the standard 125gr LRN with WSF and you're in business.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Depending on the size and type of bullet, I use WST and Titegroup most of the time. WST is clean and soft shooting and doesn't "stain" the brass like Titegroup. I do, however, stay in the middle of the load range because I am using for target shooting.

I used to use Unique, tried 700x, and have decided on Titegroup for range use in all the calibers I shoot.

I always used Herco for hot 9x19 loads "way back when," and it's still good. Other than Herco, I've probably loaded more 9mm rounds with AA#7 than any other. Keep in mind, however, I only load 9x19 HOT, never at low or moderate velocities, and that keeps these sometimes-dirty powders shooting clean. I've used some AA#5, and it's okay, but is a little faster powder than I like for 9mm. If you want more moderate level loads, #5 is good. I also like Viht 3N37 for hot 9mm loads.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links