What to do?

This is a discussion on What to do? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by Mr. Chitlin A fully loaded Dillon 650 is nice, but you'll have ~$1K tied up in it to start loading what you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Chitlin View Post
    A fully loaded Dillon 650 is nice, but you'll have ~$1K tied up in it to start loading what you are wanting to load.

Start with a good single stage or turret press and learn the ropes. You should be able to get started for a couple hundred dollars.

Check Midway USA, Grafs and a few other online sites for reloading equipment. Also get a couple of manuals and start reading and make sure you know what you are getting in to and that you want to make the commitment.
    +1. And a +100 on getting at least 2-3 different reloading manuals, and read them before starting. The ABC;s of reloading is a great one to have too.
    I have 5 different reloading manuals, and I cross check every load between them before reloading.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tom n8ies View Post

If I had it to do all over again I would get the Lee Classic Turret first.

tom
    Me too I think. And for the reason you just stated, becuase it can be used as a single stage press while learning and then pick up the pace later on. I almost suggested the same thing.

Of course, it is still good to have a single stage press on the bench for some jobs. I am about ready to add a classic turret pretty soon, to speed up loading handgun ammo.

I think I will always continue to load my rifle ammo single stage though. Simply because when I load pistol ammo it is for shooting paper and I need some quantity, but my rifle ammo is for precision shooting and hunting.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I started on a LEE single stage press, but I recently began loading using a LEE hand press. No wife to complain about where I load so I do it in front of the TV. Sometimes I will just prep shell cases. Other times I will load and seat. Never more than 50 rounds at a time. It beats the hell out of a therapist I do put everything away when I'm finished so its not like my living room is a gun shop. I reload 38, 9mm, 40, 45 and soon 50 AE but I do everything by hand now.
    " I'm tired of following my Dreams. From now on I will just ask them where they are going and meet up with them later." M.Headberg

When I first started looking, I thought I had to have a Dillon but it was going to be a lot more money than I thought I would have to spend to get started. Talked to several people and did some looking around. I ended up with a Lee Classic Turret. It really does do a great job. I sometimes still think about the Dillon, maybe some day.

PoPs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links