Tumbler/Polish - Page 2

Tumbler/Polish

This is a discussion on Tumbler/Polish within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by Orange Boy I tumble with walnut media, a capful of Nu-Finish and a used dryer sheet cut into four pieces. The brass ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tumbler/Polish

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    I tumble with walnut media, a capful of Nu-Finish and a used dryer sheet cut into four pieces. The brass comes out sparking clean and the dryer sheets keep the dust down and seem to make the media stay cleaner longer. I deprime after I tumble to keep media out of the flash hole. I clean the primer pockets with a hand tool once every three or four times reloading if they get grungy.
    Off the thread here, but OrangeBoy, did you know the dryer sheets are the best thing in the world to remove lovebugs? Rinse the windshield and anywhere else they're plastered, wipe down with the sheet, and then wash off, Bugs gone and car smells great.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I set up a single stage lee that I got on sale for 24 $ and a lee deprimeing die that i got for 10 at gunshow so it just deprimes without resizing. was thinking deprime here clean pockets with pocket tool and through in tumbler then reinspect pocket when done?
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    TomEgun, if you have a regular deprime/resize die also, the depriming pin through the flash hole would probably clean out any stuck media from doing it the way you describe above.

I'm a little too lazy to run two depriming steps, and I don't think I have seen any problems from tumbling with primers still in place, but...I got to admit, you have a very thorough solution there.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Question: How long is the media good for? Does adding polish change that at all?
    A tumbler-full of round walnut shells (at least for me) are good for 35-40k of pistol cases. I use liquid jeweler's rouge for "rejuvenation" - about a quarter ounce for 5 pounds of shells - after about 20k.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I use 50/50 mix walnut/corn cob. I also use a cap full Nufinish polish, and one cap full paint thinner. The difference between going dry and using additives is huge. Dry, cases come out clean in 2 hrs. With additives cases come out pristine bright like brand new in 2 hrs.!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

All right just started first batch of 45 acp cases deprimed and ill let you guys now if it doesnt work out will try next batch with primers in i also have a aircompressor in my shop so they can get blown out in inspection.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

I use corn cob, use car polish on the raw medium till the white/yellow cobs turn kindly pinkish. Grainger sells the corn cob blasting medium really cheap, though I bought mine from elsewhere... live and learn. I do have a jug of lyman green corn cob medium that I really like , even if it is expensive, it last for almost ever , once it is dirty , I wash it in dawn dish washing liquid and then power dry it , over the wood stove , or in the wifes oven on the lowest heat setting.

If you use raw corn cob and red car polish; take a strong zip lock bag and put about .5 cups of corn cob into it, then add about a 1/4 of the tub of polish and squish it all together.... then put into your tumbler and run for about 20 minutes with the rest of the medium needed, only after that add your brass that needs cleaned.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Don't use the Nu Finish with the orange stuff in it. It really tarnished a bunch of brass

I use the Lizard Bedding from Petco. It was like $8 for 10 quarts. Usually that, a cap of polish and a few hours will shine them up nice. If I want them even more shiny I'll switch to corn cob for a few more hours. Walnut seems to do a good job of cleaning fast and corn cob polishes slow.

^^ike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links