bulge's in lower case ?

This is a discussion on bulge's in lower case ? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I just went to the range and everything went fine.I fired maybe 150 rounds with absolutely no problems.It was 9mm.some were new reloads for testing ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bulge's in lower case ?

bulge's in lower case ?

I just went to the range and everything went fine.I fired maybe 150 rounds with absolutely no problems.It was 9mm.some were new reloads for testing and some weren't new.There was a slight bulge in all the case's.It was low down.0.279 fron very bottom of case to top of bulge.I've never seen this before.Anyone have any ideas ? It looked almost like the bullet was too big by a slight bit for the case except it was near the bottom,not the top of the case.

2. Remove Ads

I'm not a pistol reloader, but I am a rifle reloader. Any time there's a noticeable bulge in a fired case, it's a sign of over pressure. Granted..this may not be in your charge, it could be in your seating depth. Be safe.

VIP Member
    as opposed to BULGES IN UPPER CASE?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    as opposed to BULGES IN UPPER CASE?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    LOL! That's a good one not many are going to catch IMO. I needed a good laugh today....and you got it.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Ram Rod is correct. This is a pressure problem. But you said that you had reloads both old and new? The "new" for testing? What deviation did you make in the "older" reloads to the new test loads? I reload but I've never had this issue so I'm considering the possibilities. Primers; same on both old and new? Same powder as well with different charge? I've never heard of it but your crimp "might" cause this. I guess this could go on.

I think you need to step back and break down every aspect. Different handgun, something new? New bullets (to you) but used in both reload batches possibly? Brass....same in both but otherwise new, perhaps you picked them up at a show. Are both batches a max load with different bullets? Progressive or single stage? There's an answer in here somewhere, or at least enough information to develop a reasonable line of thinking and approach.

One thing should be clear; Take all of your reloads that are even suspect and set them to the side, label them clearly. I wouldn't risk further range time with these until you've figured out what's happening. It's a hateful process to clear a large number of reloads and begin again but it's your hands and face in harms way.

Yikes partner, post the explanation once you've found it. Meanwhile, please be safe.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

bulges in....nevermind
    Savage Heartland

50 of the bullets were new reloads.they were rainier 124 gr plated rn's,seated to 1.135.win 231 powder. the older ones were berrys,124 rn's,seated to 1.094,win 231powder 4.6 grain.The pistol was a taurus 709 that I just got back from taurus repair.They replaced the rear sight.No internal work done,at least as far as I know.I didn't notice this before I sent it off for repair.Next time I'll take my glock 19 also.

I don't have Win 231 in my Hornady manual for 124 grain but your charge of 4.6 is below max for a 115 gr (again, per this manual). That said, in picking a couple of powders that follow through the 9mm loads in Hornady (115, 124, and 147) the charge goes down respectably as the bullet gets heavier. ie., Max charge for VIHT N-350 115 grain bullet is 5.7 gr. Max for 124 in VIHT N-350 is 5.2 gr.

Did you go too hot? Just asking?
    Savage Heartland

My book calls for 4.4 to 4.8 for the win 231.I got one also from winchester web site that said the same thing.I picked 4.6 as a medium.

hmmmm
    Savage Heartland

Sounds like an unsupported chamber to me. What type of gun? First time noticed with this gun? More info would be helpful.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Try them in another gun,it could be the chamber of that gunis allowing the rear of the case to expand more,I have a friend has a taurus that any rounds fired in it has a bulge like a pimple on the case,when you look at the chamber there is a minute dimple and the gun was bought new,people who don't reload don't usually notice how the cases look after shooting,IIRC Dillon resizing dies make his 9mm ammo look like it's got a waist,I believe I read where thats normal,my cheap lee dies have a muffin top kinda
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Its a taurus 709,It might have done it and I just didn't notice.The next time I'm going to take my glock 19 and see how they look.I've fired maybe 500 rounds through it with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'm not a pistol reloader, but I am a rifle reloader. Any time there's a noticeable bulge in a fired case, it's a sign of over pressure. Granted..this may not be in your charge, it could be in your seating depth. Be safe.
    Not necessarily. Pistol chambers are generally somewhat "looser" than rifle chambers and cases can expand more. Too, most semi-auto chambers do not completely encircle the base of the case and a slight bulge can result on the unsupported side. This was very problematic in the early .40 S&W Glocks.

It's not all that uncommon, especially with SD loads pushing the top of the pressure curve.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

The next time I go,I'm going to take both pistols and some gold dots(factory) and see what happens.I just got done loading another 50.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links