m1 carbine 308 bullets in a 308 win

This is a discussion on m1 carbine 308 bullets in a 308 win within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have a buddy that just got 500 110 m1 carbine bullets they are RN bullets. I noticed m1 carbine bullets are actually 308 in ...

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

I have a buddy that just got 500 110 m1 carbine bullets they are RN bullets. I noticed m1 carbine bullets are actually 308 in diameter. Can I load these in a 308 case and shoot them in my m1a? I know there are 110 308 loads but I didn't see RN bullets in the Lyman manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    No problem, loading data for spitzer and RN bullets are pretty much interchangeable as long as you are not loading max loads.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I have a buddy that just got 500 110 m1 carbine bullets they are RN bullets. I noticed m1 carbine bullets are actually 308 in diameter. Can I load these in a 308 case and shoot them in my m1a? I know there are 110 308 loads but I didn't see RN bullets in the Lyman manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    .30 Carbine bullets and .308 Win/ 7.62x51 bullets are the same diameter. You can put them in your .308 cases. The problem you may have is they won't feed well in your M1A. The typical 110 gr .30 Carbine bullet measures 0.800 inches long. The typical 147 gr bullet used in 7.62 is 1.120 long and 168/172 gr bullets are even longer.

At normal seating depths, I think the overall rounds might be too short to feed well, especially with the short ogive of the RN. All you can do is try them and see.

FWIW, the 110 gr .308 Win loadings are primarily for for bolt actions, not semi-auto. There is also the consideration of cycling the action on your M1A. You might wind up with a single-shot on your hands.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    .30 Carbine bullets and .308 Win/ 7.62x51 bullets are the same diameter. You can put them in your .308 cases. The problem you may have is they won't feed well in your M1A. The typical 110 gr .30 Carbine bullet measures 0.800 inches long. The typical 147 gr bullet used in 7.62 is 1.120 long and 168/172 gr bullets are even longer.

At normal seating depths, I think the overall rounds might be too short to feed well, especially with the short ogive of the RN. All you can do is try them and see.

FWIW, the 110 gr .308 Win loadings are primarily for for bolt actions, not semi-auto. There is also the consideration of cycling the action on your M1A. You might wind up with a single-shot on your hands.
    Major,
    Thanks for the info. Just thought I would asked the question since I had access to some of these.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

You might be surprised to find a pretty decent, light recoiling load. I never tried 110 grain bullets but did once develop very light loads for the .308 using Sierra 125 grain spitzers and a minimal charge of IMR 4759 powder. My M1A, as it cycled these loads, sounded more like a Model 12 Winchester pump shotgun but it fed and functioned with the round. It was surprising.

The 110 grain bullets likely would work too and could make a fun plinking choice.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links