Defensive Carry banner

Since i have 308 dies...........?

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Majorlk 
#1 ·
Can I just buy a 30.06 resizing die?
I'm trying to load some 30.06.
I then use my 308 bullet seater die which I already own?

#2 ·
Yes, but the dies usually come in a set with pricing not much more than the cost of the single die.
You will also get better accuracy by supporting the case completely with the 06 seater but it can be done. If you are only after 50-100 rounds from time to time and can get the sizer cheap enough I guess its worth it.

IMHO, every time I have "short circuited" the process for other than an experiment of a few rounds...I have always been disappointed in the results as to quality and accuracy. YMMV

#3 ·
another point

If you are still currently loading .308 having to reset your seating depth and crimp specs every time you switch back and forth.

It is much easier to invest in a set of dies for the calibers you intend to reload, find a load that works, and stick to those specs.

I personally own a couple sets of dies in the same calibers for different loads and intended purposes.

#4 ·
Thanks guys, I actually have 2 sets of .308 dies, (Lee, and then I have the carbide dillion .308 die set) My dad has a garand and he wants me to start loading some .06 for him to shoot, I know the 650 shell plate conversion is the same, and was curios about the seater.

Gilliland-I no longer crimp my rifle ammuntion.

#5 ·
You should use .30-06 dies, especially for sizing.

(1) The shoulder diameter of the .308 is .454; the .30-06 is .441.

(2) The outside diameter of the case mouth on a .308 is .343; on a .30-06 it is .340.

(3) the shoulder angle on a .308 is 20 degrees; on a .30-06 it is 17 degrees, 30'.

(4) The taper of the two cases is different.

Simply put, it will be a total accident if you can successfully resize a .30-06 with .308 dies. Considering that a set of Lee dies is under $30, I personally think it's not worth the effort to jury-rig .308 dies to do something they were never intended to do.

In reality, the only real situation in which you can use dies on more than one caliber is if they are straight-wall cases with exactly the same case head and mouth diameter, with only the length being different - .38 special/.357 and .44 Special/.44 Magnum, being perfect examples.

To answer your other question, yes, if you just buy a .30-06 sizing die you can use the .308 seating die from your extra die set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.