cast 9mm through a sig

cast 9mm through a sig

This is a discussion on cast 9mm through a sig within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Thinking about shooting cast bullets(high volume )through a a sign 226 or a 228 anybody have any issues? If this works and is reliabe. If ...

Thread: cast 9mm through a sig

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

cast 9mm through a sig

Thinking about shooting cast bullets(high volume )through a a sign 226 or a 228 anybody have any issues? If this works and is reliabe. If so I may hang up my glocks for a while.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I have a Sig 229 40,Sig P6,SigPro 2022 40,I've shot hundreds of rounds of cast lead bullets thru them, all my own casts and reloads,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    As in any firearm, keep an eye out for leading. Keep the velocity down and it should be fine.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Leading is prevented by using proper alloy hardness for the chamber pressure, proper size bullet to fit the groove diameter, and proper lube that stays with the bullet while in the barrel.

Also for smoke control, medium burn powders work best. In the 9mm use WSF.

I shoot lead alloy bullets in both pistols. Velocities range from 1150fps to 1450fps with no leading and very low smoke. Velocity has nothing to do with leading.

ETA: Why not get an aftermarket barrel for the Glock and shoot lead in that too? KKM Precision or Storm Lake are my top choices. LWD is hit/miss with proper chamber cuts.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Leading is prevented by using proper alloy hardness for the chamber pressure, proper size bullet to fit the groove diameter, and proper lube that stays with the bullet while in the barrel.

Also for smoke control, medium burn powders work best. In the 9mm use WSF.

I shoot lead alloy bullets in both pistols. Velocities range from 1150fps to 1450fps with no leading and very low smoke. Velocity has nothing to do with leading.

ETA: Why not get an aftermarket barrel for the Glock and shoot lead in that too? KKM Precision or Storm Lake are my top choices. LWD is hit/miss with proper chamber cuts.
    I actually have a LWD 40-9mm conversion barrel for my G35. I know I can run lead through it. But I thought I would try and give the SIGS some attention. I have been shooting my 19 for the last couple of years racking up about a 20,000 plus count only in last 3 years.

I'm really getting to the point, instead of buying a new gun. I want to shoot the ones I already have. AT t he high point of my gun addiction i counted 29 handguns 8 GLocks , and 17 rifles (AR's AK's, M1A's, etc..)at one time I had 3-4 1911's, I never shot them. I'm down to one now and actually am starting to enjoy shooting .45 again. I have about 2000 pieces of .45 brass so I'm really itching to start loading for that.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

VIP Member
    Heres my 1911 just incase your curious.

Sponsored Links