Deactivating a live round

This is a discussion on Deactivating a live round within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I just loaded my first 10 rounds last night. 1-8 went fine but when I got to the 9th the seating die did not go ...

Thread: Deactivating a live round

I just loaded my first 10 rounds last night. 1-8 went fine but when I got to the 9th the seating die did not go as smooth as the others. I pushed a little harder and when the cartridge came out about half way down the brass buckled and kinked like an accordion. I thought maybe my lee turret press did not index right so I set that one aside and made another one but this time I made sure it lined up before I set the bullet. Same thing happened. I tried a 3rd time and same thing. So now I have 3 rounds with a primer, powder, bullet and a nice accordion kink in the brass. I ended up re adjusting my dies and made 2 more cartridges and stopped for the night. I want to shoot these bullets before I make much more.

So the question is what do I do with these 3 rounds that are messed up? How do I safely dispose of them?
    XD40sc & LCP

VIP Member
    Best bet would be to use an inertia bullet puller, that way you can save the bullets and powder then just put a drop or two of oil into the cases to deactivate the primers.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I have one of these on the way now
    Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller - MidwayUSA

It just does not feel right slamming a loaded bullet into the table. That is safe?

What kind of oil? motor oil? veggie oil?
    XD40sc & LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
    I have one of these on the way now
    Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller - MidwayUSA

It just does not feel right slamming a loaded bullet into the table. That is safe?

What kind of oil? motor oil? veggie oil?
    I have used one similar from RCBS many times; very safe since there is nothing on it that will strike the primer. As for the oil use anything petroleum based such as gun oil or motor oil.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Cool. Thanks!
    XD40sc & LCP

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Check your expander die setting. Sounds like the bullets are catching on the case mouth when seating. Probably need to flare the mouth a bit more.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yup that is one of the adjustments I made. Thanks for the heads up
    XD40sc & LCP

If the cases will chamber, I just shoot the primer after pulling the bullet. Or, just shoot the loaded, crushed round, if it is not too bad. That usually straightens out the case. Does't sound like yours will chamber though. So just pulling the bullet and discarding the case is your best bet.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Be ultra careful with the live primer in there. They are nasty little buggers.

Ranges and fire departments will also take damaged live ammo. Mine range has a bucket for just that purpose.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I have always heard of using the oil method on primers, I however do not trust that. I know that is recommended, but I am a bit leery.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Another option would be a collet type bullet puller. IMO they are much safer, and faster than the hammer type.

As for the crushed cases, soaking in water for a while will generally kill the primer. I wouldn't try to salvage them.

I have used the impact type bullet puller for over 40 years and two week ago I had something unusual happen.

I had loaded several rounds with the primer upside down, I am using a progressive press with an auto primer feeder and this sometimes happens.

I normally set those rounds aside until I finish my run then pull the bullets, dump the powder, deprime the cases and use the powder, bullets and cases again.

Once in over 40 years of using a impact puller the primer fired while I was extracting the bullet. Luckly for me the primer was upside down and no flash reached the powder.

The jarring of the bullet puller hitting the piece of railroad rail cause the primer to fire.

Yes, I was using the impact side of the puller, not the collet side, to strike the rail.

No explanation, no excuses, Stuff happens and it did this time. No injury, just a brown trouser stain.

A reminder of why I wear safety glasses when pulling bullets

BEANS

That is a very odd situation. Is it possible the primer being upside down had any hand in it's ignition?

As for the OP and others if I am only dealing with 1-15 or 20 cases I will use an inertia bases puller anything more than 20 or so cases I like the ease of the collet style puller. its another good reason for a $20 pawn shop single stage press.

I always just use a block of 4x4.Mine is about 2 feet tall and sits right hext to my reloading bench.Just set it endways up and its really handy to use.As far as the primers I just use the regular deprimer on my lee classic turret to deprime them or just shoot them AFTER YOU HAVE THE BULLET AND POWDER OUT.sj

I have always used a hammer (inertia) puller. The harder the surface you strike, the better. A concrete floor or block wall works best.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Links