shotshell

This is a discussion on shotshell within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; So I be been shooting the shotgun games now for about 3 years...... My skeet average is about a 23.7...and my trap average is about ...

Thread: shotshell

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

shotshell

So I be been shooting the shotgun games now for about 3 years...... My skeet average is about a 23.7...and my trap average is about a 20. I also shot my first sporting clay event last weekend in WV. I shot an 86 out of 100. My boss gave me his MEC Jr and now I'm looking forward to loading some shotshells. I.have AA hulls and bought some aa12 wads, hogdon clays, #8 shot and win primers looking for a good load with combo....any suggestions?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Unlike metallic cartridges, which can operate over a range of velocities and pressures, shotshells have a very narrow operating range, especially as regards to pressures.

The best thing you can do is buy Lyman's Shotshell reloading manual and follow the loading data contained in it.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I just picked up a MEC Jr too and I've been spending the last week or so deeply studying and making notes on every bit I run across. I've got a few mild reciapes that I am wanting to try soon. I've picked them up off of the Alliant's website.

If you're going to be doing shot less than 1oz, from what I've read, red dot will be the way you want to go.

What kind of powder will you be using? If anything you'll be able to find load data on the manufacture's website.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we can’t allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFreeman View Post
    What kind of powder will you be using? If anything you'll be able to find load data on the manufacture's website.
    Using Clays for Powder.

I could not find any published data on any website for 1 oz loads using the (White) WAA12 Wads. I found loads for the WAA12SL (Pinkish wads).
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

What shell are you loading?

I loaded up last night:

Winchester AA 2 3/4" hulls
    20 grains green dot
    1 oz shot
    WAA12 Wad
    Win209 primer

It seemed like that recipe was the only one for the combination of components I had laying around.

Did you try: Basic Manual Download

I'm not too fond of how they have everything listed out, but they have data there.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we can’t allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFreeman View Post
    =
    Did you try: Basic Manual Download

I'm not too fond of how they have everything listed out, but they have data there.
    Yes I did allready try that. I think I'm just going to have to get some WAA12SL today.

Also, make sure to check your charge bushing with the powder you're planning on using. Make sure that the bushing you've picked is dropping what you're wanting it to drop.

Good luck!

Links