What .357 magnum bullets for SD?

This is a discussion on What .357 magnum bullets for SD? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by Tubby45 This thread isn't about whether or not to carry handloads for defense, so please leave that discussion out of it. Also ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What .357 magnum bullets for SD?

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    This thread isn't about whether or not to carry handloads for defense, so please leave that discussion out of it.

Also sorry, but no one is an "expert" at handloading.
    Sorry, I just noticed the "new to reloading" and "Self-defense" parts kind of contrast each other.

Don't know about your other comment, but this one guy I know was an armorer in the military, did 30 years, been retired for some time now. He's been reloading for literally 40+ years, why wouldn't he be considered an expert?

I was just noting that as experienced as he is, he still thinks it's a bad idea to trust your life to a handload.

On the other hand, none of the rounds he's reloaded for me have ever malfunctioned, so I suppose you could argue that hand-crafting might in some cases be better than relying on the factory stuff. I did have a 9mm round from a Winchester white box Walmart special fail to go off last year...due to a bad primer, apparently.

But that was target stuff, not premium self-defense ammo.

Anyhow, no offense intended and I was not trying to hijack the thread. I just thought it went against the conventional wisdom.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    Don't know about your other comment, but this one guy I know was an armorer in the military, did 30 years, been retired for some time now. He's been reloading for literally 40+ years, why wouldn't he be considered an expert?
    Handloading is one area, like firearms, that has no experts like there are no experts in law. I've been loading commercially for three years and have personally loaded more ammunition than many who have been handloading longer than I've been alive. Doesn't make me an expert. Sort of a pet peeve of mine I'll lay to rest for this discussion.

I was just noting that as experienced as he is, he still thinks it's a bad idea to trust your life to a handload.
    Half the time spent on forums is debunking stuff like this. It isn't profit motive as none of my ammunition loads are recommended for defense. It's common sense.

The same steps performed on your loading bench at home are the same steps Federal does. Size, prime, charge, seat. If you do everything properly with quality components it will perform as assembled. This is the same principle as Federal or Georgia Arms or as my company. The same for ammo loaded on your bench.

For some reason handloads have a bad rap and I can't figure out why. Lots of competitive shooters shoot reloads in competition where tens of thousands of dollars are on the line. They buy new brass, shoot it in practice and shoot reloads for the real deal. The process is exactly the same for defense loads as it is range loads, so what's the big deal? If the range reloads are 100% reliable, what's the harm in loading the same defense bullet to the same velocity as the factory? Perhaps your gun likes a 230gr XTP at 800fps instead of 925fps. Try to get Hornady to load that for you.

ETA in Italics: I would think the ammunition one loads themselves knowing full well each and every process has been done correctly with them personally overseeing every single aspect of the ammunition loading would be the best guarantee to yield confidence by that handloader. I don't like my oil changed by others so I do it my self so I know it's done right. (sorry, the best analogy I could conjur at this hour. :)

On the other hand, none of the rounds he's reloaded for me have ever malfunctioned, so I suppose you could argue that hand-crafting might in some cases be better than relying on the factory stuff. I did have a 9mm round from a Winchester white box Walmart special fail to go off last year...due to a bad primer, apparently.
    One of my arguments too. Would you rather trust someone who is personally controlling the press by hand and visually verifying each step or someone drinking coffee while watching an automated machine churn away? Me, I'd take the guy standing in front of a Dillon any day. (that's me in front of the press, BTW)

But that was target stuff, not premium self-defense ammo.
    If they screwed up with target ammunition, can you risk that with their defense loads?

Anyhow, no offense intended and I was not trying to hijack the thread. I just thought it went against the conventional wisdom.
    Conventional wisdom on gun forums yes. This "no handloads for carry" stuff started about 15 years ago with a few little known gun rag writers making a name for themselves. It's based on "the sky is falling" journalism at its finest.
    Last edited by Tubby45; June 14th, 2010 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Add content in italics.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Handloading is one area, like firearms, that has no experts like there are no experts in law. I've been loading commercially for three years and have personally loaded more ammunition than many who have been handloading longer than I've been alive. Doesn't make me an expert. Sort of a pet peeve of mine I'll lay to rest for this discussion.
    Nah, no problem. I am definitely no expert in this area.

Perhaps your gun likes a 230gr XTP at 800fps instead of 925fps. Try to get Hornady to load that for you.
    Yeah that's a good point. I had a hard time finding ammo that my SW 3913 would shoot to point of aim. Finally settled on 124 gr. Gold Dots, but darned if my friend's handloads don't seem to hit closer to the bullseye for me.

Conventional wisdom on gun forums yes. This "no handloads for carry" stuff started about 15 years ago with a few little known gun rag writers making a name for themselves. It's based on "the sky is falling" journalism at its finest.
    There is definitely a lot of money in the ammo business at stake.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Follow the money.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    They are not always available, but when they are I consider the Winchester 145gr Slivertips to be a very good choice. I am referring to the slugs for reloading.
    +1 My choice as well.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

"Would you rather trust someone who is personally controlling the press by hand and visually verifying each step or someone drinking coffee while watching an automated machine churn away?"

Great point Tubby... Reminds me of Laverne and Shirley watching the beer bottles go by. LOL

bosco

Here is a small problem I have with the 145 gr bullet you guys are recommending.

One of the main reasons I want to reload the cartridges myself is I want a premium projectile when I need it, but I want an reasonably cheap cartridge as similar as possible to practice with (same powder charge, same primers, cheaper copper plated projectile).

For example, my thinking on the 125 gr bullets was that I can get reasonably cheap (like .09 a round) plated 125 gr bullets to practice with, and only load the nice bullets in the ammo I am actually going to carry. I am a big believer in practicing with what you carry, and I think that a slightly different shape bullet will not affect anything that much. However, if I go with the 145 gr bullet, I don't think there is any bullet of the same weight with which to load a cheaper round. So I don't care how much the bullet costs... as long as there is something very similar that is cheap.

So I guess my options are pretty much down to 125 grain vs 158 grain bullets, since that is the only thing that I can find reasonably cheap plated bullets to use in practice ammo.

and on the reloading vs factory ammo debate, I would be just as comfortable with ammo that I loaded as premium factory ammo. I know what components I put into my gun, and the loads with the expensive bullets will be to much higher tolerances than anything that rolls of an assembly line. I am new to reloading, in the sense that I do not have any of my own equipment. However many years ago, when I was younger I reloaded several thousand rounds of pistol and rifle ammo with my father. I would not call that very much experience, but it is enough familiarity with the process that I can see it is practically foolproof if you use quality components and take your time.

***edit, I did find a 148 grain plated bullet at a reasonable price, but it was a double ended wadcutter, and I really don't want to practice with that... ***

Montana Gold has jacketed ball and hollow point for about .08cents each.
    I use them and have found them to be uniform in weight and diameter.

From what I have seen the HP's do not expand, but for equal weight practice ammo they fill my needs very well..

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Montana Gold has jacketed ball and hollow point for about .08cents each.
    I use them and have found them to be uniform in weight and diameter.

From what I have seen the HP's do not expand, but for equal weight practice ammo they fill my needs very well..

bosco
    I just looked at their website, you must be shooting either 125 or 158 grain. Since you said you are using it for "equal weight practice ammo", what are you using for your "premium" projectile?

You might have to load a small batch of each to find out, but the 148 gain DE wadcutter might shoot very close to the same point of aim as the 158 grain SWC at less than 25 yards assuming velocities are approximately the same.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    You might have to load a small batch of each to find out, but the 148 gain DE wadcutter might shoot very close to the same point of aim as the 158 grain SWC at less than 25 yards assuming velocities are approximately the same.
    I was considering the 148 grain as a similar projectile to the 145 grain silver tips suggested earlier. I just really don't want to shoot such an ugly not aerodynamic bullet. Plus it would be difficult to use with a speedloader on the firing line. Basically it just comes down to I don't want a square bullet... ugh.

I would think that these would be close enough in weight and would also work in speed loaders.

Remington Bullets 38 Caliber (357 Diameter) 140 Grain Semi-Jacketed Hollow Point - MidwayUSA

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I just looked at their website, you must be shooting either 125 or 158 grain. Since you said you are using it for "equal weight practice ammo", what are you using for your "premium" projectile?
    I use factory ammo for carry. In the .357 it's Hornady 125gr XTP.

I also reload with the Hornady 125gr XTP bullet (projectile) as well as the Montana Gold.

bosco

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links