Sonic Cleaner

Sonic Cleaner

This is a discussion on Sonic Cleaner within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Alright just got my Gemoro 2.6 qt sonic Cleaner in the mail. YIPPEEE.... I want to use this to clean Brass and to Clean Guns. ...

Thread: Sonic Cleaner

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

Sonic Cleaner

Alright just got my Gemoro 2.6 qt sonic Cleaner in the mail. YIPPEEE....

I want to use this to clean Brass and to Clean Guns. I have a a formula for cleaning brass as:

1/2 distilled water, 1/2 white vinegar and 1 Tablespoon of Lemi Shine Automatic Dishwasher Soap.

Rinse with distilled water with a couple of Tablespoons of Baking Soda.

Final rinse with distilled water and air dry it.

This will definitely clean the brass but doesn't shine it. The brass can be tumbled to shine it.

I also want to clean entire slide assemblies and BCGs from AR's. Anybody have a good recipeit or just use the same as the above for brass?

Also how long do you typically have brass in the cleaner?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you're going to tumble the brass, why the effort to sonic clean it? Seems like double work. Tumbling will clean and polish (if shiny is important to you).

Rather than vinegar and highly chemical dish detergent, I'd suggest Dawn followed with a fresh hot water rinse and dry. It cuts right through oils and grease and isn't harsh.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you're going to tumble the brass, why the effort to sonic clean it? Seems like double work. Tumbling will clean and polish (if shiny is important to you).

Rather than vinegar and highly chemical dish detergent, I'd suggest Dawn followed with a fresh hot water rinse and dry. It cuts right through oils and grease and isn't harsh.
    I'm with you, on both issues.

The only reason I would ever wash cases is if they were covered in mud or dirt.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Well guys I appreciate the feed back.

I tested it out last night and here are my thoughts. I like the Sonic Cleaner because it cleans the entire case not just the outside. It cleans out case pockets ( I also have a RCBS case prep machine for primer pockets.) I could care less about Shiny brass; however, my opinion the cleaner you can get them the easier the brass is on your reloading dies. I'm still going to lube Bottle neck Rifle cases, but now that the insides of the case are clean I'm hoping the neck expander will be much smoother and need almost minimal lube. . Any way I'll let you know what I find out.

And hey its just another toy something to keep me occupied.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Tumbling will clean but never as good as liquid solutions.

Lemi-shine is citric acid based and thus has protective properties to the brass that Dawn doesn't offer.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Tumbling will clean but never as good as liquid solutions.

Lemi-shine is citric acid based and thus has protective properties to the brass that Dawn doesn't offer.
    Lemi-shine, great stuff. Another reason for a Wally World Walk.

bosco

lead dangers

Richard lee wrote in his second edition reloading manual the most of the danger of lead poisioniong comes from the case tumbler, because it gets the primer crud loose and in a dust form. The compounds we are talking about are lead oxides and oxates, which are dangerous. Lead, in and of it's self poses very little danger to people in terms of lead poisoniong, but smoke, primarily from lead oxides and oxates are very dangerous.
    I will probably be getting a sonic cleaner for cleaning my cases. I have reloaded for over twenty five years, and shot some very impressive groups using only Lee loaders and very dirty, mixed brass.
    I can tell you right now, cleanliness of cases has nothing to do with accuracy. in fact, the crud you find on pistol cases acts like lube for carbide dies. Listen to me here, too, based on training as a tool maker, nothing is going to scratch a carbide die, or lessen it's life, except diamonds. There is a lot of anal retentiveness going around in the reloading fraternity. Go to a benchrest match one day. they neither tumble or sonic clean cases. And they use a POWDER MEASURE to measure charges. Absolute apostacy, if you are a newbie. Fact is, what matters is seating depth, runout, quality of the bullet, I.E. is it really round and balanced, and probably consistancy of the ignition and burn of the powder. Clean or dirty cases have nothing to do with accuracy, except to give people who don't know much something to do. I know, I was there myself one day. Didn't have tho money to buy a tumbler, so I wasted days cleaning with steeel wool. As long as the crud doesn't affect the way they chamber, use'em dirty!

VIP Member
    Yeah, but I hate dirtying up my dies with all that crud, thus my tumbler.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by docmagnum357 View Post
    Richard lee wrote in his second edition reloading manual the most of the danger of lead poisioniong comes from the case tumbler, because it gets the primer crud loose and in a dust form. The compounds we are talking about are lead oxides and oxates, which are dangerous. Lead, in and of it's self poses very little danger to people in terms of lead poisoniong, but smoke, primarily from lead oxides and oxates are very dangerous.
    This is true.

Listen to me here, too, based on training as a tool maker, nothing is going to scratch a carbide die, or lessen it's life, except diamonds.
    Not true. Carbide reloading dies are not pure carbide. They have a carbide annular ring at the aperture which is set inside the steel die with pressure for retention. Carbide is very brittle and if the ring isn't recessed it will crack when struck against a hard surface like a heat treated shellplate. Furthermore, I have had many dies in my career get scratched by substances and particles much softer than diamonds. Lastly, there are several reasons besides die scratch prevention for cleaning brass. One is for detection of visual flaws. Another is to keep the die clean. When residue is built up over time, this changes the dimensions of the die body and will put pressure points on the case. This will lead to flaws that may not be removable besides fireforming which could lead to another host of issues.

There is a lot of anal retentiveness going around in the reloading fraternity. Go to a benchrest match one day. they neither tumble or sonic clean cases. And they use a POWDER MEASURE to measure charges. Absolute apostacy, if you are a newbie.
    Many benchrest shooters I know personally tumble their brass and hand weigh each charge. No powder measure for their serious loads.

Fact is, what matters is seating depth, runout, quality of the bullet, I.E. is it really round and balanced, and probably consistancy of the ignition and burn of the powder.
    There is so much more to it than that.

Clean or dirty cases have nothing to do with accuracy, except to give people who don't know much something to do.
    Reasons for my disagreement with this statement are aforementioned.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

"Lastly, there are several reasons besides die scratch prevention for cleaning brass. One is for detection of visual flaws. Another is to keep the die clean." Tubby

I reload a few thousand rounds a year and have been doing it for a long time. It is a part of my Total Shooting Hobby and I enjoy doing it.

As per Tubby's above quote, I also enjoy knowing that there are no damaged rims, bulged cases, cracks, spider webs, gunked up media, bad flash holes or any other number of gremlins that can sneak their way into the entire reloading process. This is accomplished by my "anal" attention as I clean and polish my brass.

My dies are the same ones I have been using for more than 30 years, except for the S&W .40 which are as old as that caliber. With an occasional cleaning they look almost as new as the day I purchased them.

I do not in any way approach the numbers that Tubby does in his reloading but I agree totally that, at least for my needs, clean brass makes good cartridges. When I put a few hundred rounds into their neat little cardboard boxes they look good and I know they will go bang every time.

In a nutshell, and I may be the nut: If you have the time to do it and you enjoy doing, DO IT!

OMO

bosco

VIP Member
    +1! I reload for the enjoyment. It's all part of the preocedure.

Links