1st Hunt Using Reloads (WARNING GRAPHIC)

This is a discussion on 1st Hunt Using Reloads (WARNING GRAPHIC) within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Reloads used--- (230 Rounds) 50 Grain Horn-Vmax using Varget Can't remember the load but it was around 24.7-25 grains. (270 rounds) 55 Grain lead bullets ...

Thread: 1st Hunt Using Reloads (WARNING GRAPHIC)

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

1st Hunt Using Reloads (WARNING GRAPHIC)

Reloads used---

(230 Rounds) 50 Grain Horn-Vmax using Varget Can't remember the load but it was around 24.7-25 grains.

(270 rounds) 55 Grain lead bullets they were supposidly M193 bullets I purchased them through Widenors Loaded with H335.

Guns used

Parts AR (Rock Lower) and a Rem 700 SPS Tac w/ Leupold Mark AR.
    P Dog hit with the 55 grain (notice no carnage)

P Dogs hit with the VMAX
    INSIDE OUT DOG

almost made it back home in liquid form

this one was actually taken with my G19 at about 25 yards using 115 Federal Premium.

Any body want a slurpy.

I shot 500 rounds and killed around 350 plus dogs. My longest distance was at 375 yards on a pup. I had 3 double kills, one of them being around 250 ish.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Smile

I've never found any good Prairie Dog recopies

Nice gun though!

This is the actual field I hunted in. Red Line is movement of vehicle. Blue box is areas of prairie dogs. Yellow line represents what I remember my longest kill shot to be estimate.....
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Good shooting!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Just in case anbody is interested here are photos from my trip about 2 years ago. This little guy was shot with a .17 HMR using 17 grain VMAX.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Nice shooting!
    Used to pop rockchucks and ground squirrels with my .223 in WA. 55 grn Sierra BT Spitzers. Shredded anything it hit. Sweet little round. Nice to be able to see your own bullet on impact. I used an old Rem. 788. Great little varmiter for minimal $s. The 700 would be my choice today. Not impressed with ARs of any make.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Nice shooting!
    Used to pop rockchucks and ground squirrels with my .223 in WA. 55 grn Sierra BT Spitzers. Shredded anything it hit. Sweet little round. Nice to be able to see your own bullet on impact. I used an old Rem. 788. Great little varmiter for minimal $s. The 700 would be my choice today. Not impressed with ARs of any make.
    Old Vet,
    I was very very very disapointed how the AR performed, and I'm an AR guy!!!!!!! I ended up putting the AR down and used the bolt gun almost the entire time. I had to let it cool frequently but I was very dissapointed. Close range it was fine anything past 150 was a crap shoot. Now it could have also been the quality of the bullets. I was only using the M193's in the AR, and used all the VMAX in the bolt gun.

Here is the outfitter I used Sierra Blanca Outfitters | Chacon, New Mexico Prairie Dog Hunting he was a little pricy but it still was an awesome time.

Cost was $250 per day, plus I gave him a $40 tip.

Just a few Person observations, VMAX bullets perform as designed. I had one hit about 120 were I shot the dog from the backside. I saw the dog go FLYING. The guide said it looked like it had been sitting on a handgrenade. FMJ bullets perform are great for skipping shots, 2x kills, but not so great for the prairie dog olympic trials.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ALL these ARs are based on assault weapons, created to put a lot of rounds in the general direction they're pointing. Everyone wants them cause they're "cool" and fun to blast away with, but the real "long-range tack-drivers" are almost always bolt actions. They are just inherently more accurate. You can spend a fortune and have an AR custom accurized, but then the 700 does it a lot cheaper.
    To mow down human-sized targets at close range in mass quantities, get an AR.
    But to pop the eyeballs out of a varmit at 3-400 yards (or more), give me a 700.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

ALL these ARs are based on assault weapons, created to put a lot of rounds in the general direction they're pointing. Everyone wants them cause they're "cool" and fun to blast away with, but the real "long-range tack-drivers" are almost always bolt actions. They are just inherently more accurate. You can spend a fortune and have an AR custom accurized, but then the 700 does it a lot cheaper.
    But to pop the eyeballs out of a varmit at 3-400 yards (or more), give me a 700.
    Don't quote me on this but I think an M700 has like .75 MOA whereas a Bushmaster Varminter can get down to 0.25 MOA. Of course you'd be better off shooting the 7.62 than 5.56 beyond the first couple hundred meters...
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Yellow line represents what I remember my longest kill shot to be estimate.....
    What do you estimate the range to be? Judging from the scale of the image it looks to be about 630 meters.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

J
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    What do you estimate the range to be? Judging from the scale of the image it looks to be about 630 meters.
    I used my milling reticle since it was a pup I estimated he was 6 inches tall and he took up just shy of half a mill.

Value 6000/.4 equals 15,000 inches/12 equals1250 feet/3equals 416 yards but my height and mill estimation I thought was a little off so I say he was 375.

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    Don't quote me on this but I think an M700 has like .75 MOA whereas a Bushmaster Varminter can get down to 0.25 MOA. Of course you'd be better off shooting the 7.62 than 5.56 beyond the first couple hundred meters...
    I would disagree. I would disagree exspecially if ones using ammunition built for the particular gun.

Aww that's nothing... I have pictures of an armadillo that I scope checked with a 450 Marlin during deer season. THAT is graphic!

Is that you Zumbo??

Links