Anybody hoarding brass like myself?

This is a discussion on Anybody hoarding brass like myself? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Does anyone have the same problem I have with hording brass? In the past couple of weeks I have loaded over five thousand rounds, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody hoarding brass like myself?

Does anyone have the same problem I have with hording brass? In the past couple of weeks I have loaded over five thousand rounds, and I have hardly made touched my stockpile. Just to give an idea, I have two and half 5 gallon buckets of 9mm brass, one and half buckets of .45 and two five gallon buckets of .40 S&W. I have done some extremely rough calculations and figure I have over 30 thousand pieces of brass between the handgun calibers. When it comes to my 30-06 I must admit that I only have about 500.

With that much brass, you would think I wouldn't mind tossing a piece that is salvageable. While loading my my .40, I caught myself this evening spending several minutes clearing out some crude in a piece of brass (polish and corn cob residue from the new polishing media). After I had it cleaned out, I immediately dropped it. I got down on my hands and knees and spent the next several minutes trying to dig it out from behind my bench.

I feel like I am seriously hording it. My wife wants me to get rid of most of it, as she doesn't think I am ever going to use it all.

Most of the brass is stuff that either I have shot, or someone I was shooting with has shot. I will go around collecting mine and theirs. If the reload I don't touch theirs, but by golly I refuse to let it go to the collection buckets if I can reload it myself. Do I need counseling and are there others out there as bad as me?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Got a TON of 9mm Cleaned ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Well, we have moved three times since I started collecting it - and yes, mine weighs a ton as well, especially when trying to move it up several flights of stairs.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That sounds a bit over the top to me, but then I don't know how much shooting you do on a regular basis. If you feel like you're hoarding it ... you probably are. Somewhere along the line you need to decide that enough is enough. That depends on how much shooting you do in, say, a months time.

Keep enough to do that, allow some extra for replacing a few rejects, and sell off/ditch the rest. You obviously realize you can always pick up more! In the end, extra brass lying around and not used just takes up space.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

No such thing as ...

too much ammo
    too much brass
    too many primers
    too many bullets
    too much powder
    too many firearms

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks Majorlk!

I loaded up 200 more rounds just this morning - that makes for 800 in the past 24 hours. I have been shooting anywhere between 500 and a 1000 rounds a week right now.

I have a 30 gallon tub and about 6 3 gallon buckets of various brass right now
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You can never have too much brass. You NEVER know what might happen down the road.

On the other hand, if you're having to swim through it in your house to get from one room to the other, then you can send some to me.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFreeman View Post
    On the other hand, if you're having to swim through it in your house to get from one room to the other, then you can send some to me.
    I just got a mental image of Scrooge McDuck swimming in his vault full of brass instead of gold coins! If it gets that bad you should split with TheFreeman and me.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2ľ barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Thanks Majorlk!

I loaded up 200 more rounds just this morning - that makes for 800 in the past 24 hours. I have been shooting anywhere between 500 and a 1000 rounds a week right now.
    That sounds like me back in the 70's and 80's. I don't shoot near that much now.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I am not sure how much brass I have , but probably well over 700 lbs of brass that is not cleaned. Probably another hundred pounds of cleaned brass; and only god knows how much loaded ammo that I have. I got to feeling like I was running out of ammo for a certain caliber last week, went down to check the stocks... well over 1000 rounds of loaded ammo for that particular caliber. I think that I need a new gun to shoot some of my ammo.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Actually, I have no idea how much brass I have. I do know that I have new unfired brass I bought back in the 1960's that I havent gotten around to loading yet. I just keep using the same stuff over and over. Some of it and I are VERY old friends !

I've only been doing this for about 18 months now and this is what I have.
    9mm 4000, 357mag 1200, 380 900, I've kept 1000 38's, 40's and 45's in case I ever buy a gun in that caliber, I sell or give away the rest. I also am collecting 223 for a future purchase. And then there are the 30-30's, 06, 7mag, 270, oh hell, I'm addicted.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    You don't need help.... you just need to load ammo faster!

Perhaps this is an opportunity to start a side business for some extra income?
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

if your wife finds you in the fetal position in the shop under your reloading bench with gunpowder on your nose , shaking and clutching a piece of brass like the last cigarette lighter in a crack house you may have a problem , but until then its never enough !!
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links