40s&w

This is a discussion on 40s&w within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; what are ya'll loading 40 up with? I just loaded some 180gr Barry's plated bullets over 4.5gr of IMR 700x in Federal cases and CCI ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40s&w

40s&w

what are ya'll loading 40 up with?

I just loaded some 180gr Barry's plated bullets over 4.5gr of IMR 700x in Federal cases and CCI 500 primers.

curious to know if anyone else is using 700x?
    have ya ever tried it?
    what are other guys using for powder?

2. Remove Ads

180's with WSF.... i get close to 1100fps even with lead

I do not reload 40 cals , but I do love 700x , especially for 44 magnums and 357 magnums. I would tend to think that the powder would be a good choice for the 40 cal. but a PITA to meter, at least it is on my RCBS measure.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by JSlack View Post
    what are ya'll loading 40 up with?

I just loaded some 180gr Barry's plated bullets over 4.5gr of IMR 700x in Federal cases and CCI 500 primers.

curious to know if anyone else is using 700x?
    have ya ever tried it?
    what are other guys using for powder?
    Hand cast (Lee 401-175-TC) 180 grain truncated cone over 4.7 grains of Bullseye.

well went and shot up the 35rnds I made up with the above combination. they worked flawlessly. VERY similar to the factory Federal 180grns I had. I even stacked them, and couldn't tell much difference between the two. this tells me I can use less powder. going to try 4.3grns and may even go as low as 4.0 grns depending on how the 4.3's behave.

these are going down the bbl of a XDm 3.8" FYI.

I load a bunch of 40 S&W with Ranier plated bullets. My powder choice is generally Unique or Power Pistol. Power Pistol is a little finer and meters much better. Both are great powders in the 40.

I am loading 180 Gr RNL bullets cast on a Magma caster from WW, over 2.9 gr of Clays.
    ( Not International or Universal Clays), Winchester small pistol primers, range pick up brass.

I tried to use the 180 Gr TC bullets, but for some unknown reason the RN feeds better in my gun then the TC's do.

This is the load I use for IDPA and it gives me PF of 135 in my G35 with a Storm Lake Barrel, Velocity of 756 FPS. Soft shooting, brass drops at my feet. I can hit bowling pins at 25 yards with this load.

This load will also take down the steel in the steel match.

I have gotten over the need for High Velocity loadings, for target shooting a long time ago. Guns. powder, my wrists Etc all last longer.

I use Titegroup a lot. Very nice manageable recoil to it, and very economical. 4.4gr under a plated 180gr bullet at 1.135OAL is a great all-around load, but you can go a little hotter safely. I wouldn't recommend it with bare lead bullets.

Vihtavuori N320 is my favorite though. Recoil is similar to titegroup but it's cleaner and doesn't burn as hot. I use it for USPSA match ammo.

Beans do you know the min and max for your 180 load using Clays. I just bought a mold for that type of bullet and would like to use Clays as I do in my 44 and 9. If you would, could you please give me that info. I am like you. I don't need recoil and noise to let me know that I am shooting.

are you guys picky when it comes to primers? do you have to load a certain make? or do you just pick up whatever happens to be on the shelf that week at your local gun shop?

I have been using CCI 500. I feel CCI has a very good reputation of making "clean" products. this believe stems from shooting .22lr and a little 17hmr. CCI seems to be the best product in these categories for me. does this pertain to their primers as well?

When it comes to primers, is a CCI the same as a winchester the same as a remington the same as xyz?

I feel the same way that Beans and Trapper feel....not looking for smoking velocities or loud noises. just enough to make it through paper and knock the occasional steel target down

I'm loading 155 grain Remington JHP's over 7.0-7.4 grains of Power Pistol with winchester primers. Originally I used 7.0 of unique but changed to power pistol for the consistent metering of powder. Both loads run 1050-1100 FPS. That's not a full factory equivilent load but it's close enough for practice.

I don't in general use a set type of primer. My local stores sell mostly Winchester, but I like to buy in bulk from out of town. When I buy bulk for rifle and pistol, I buy CCI. I load a lot of shotgun and that requires using a certain type of primer. Most of my shotgun loads use Winchester or Federal primers.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    For defensive rounds on my full-size H&K USP .40, I generally use Remington Golden Sabers HPJs or Federal Hydrashock JHPs, both 180 gr. For target ammo or emergency reserve ammo, I use a variety, mainly Magtech, Winchester, Speer, Remington, Federal Classic. From my own personal experience with reliability issues with my particular .40 pistol, the USP, I avoid Mexican made and Blazer ammunition.

trapper, thanks for that reply!

I too do some shotgun loading, and I know that there are primer differences in that field of reloading. didn't know if that crossed over to the pistol/rifle arena too. guess i will buy whatever is on the shelf then!

Quote Originally Posted by mauser1959 View Post
    but a PITA to meter, at least it is on my RCBS measure.
    re reading through this thread I saw this again.

have you tried the "little dandy pistol powder measure" from RCBS? I just picked one up and it seems to work great for the 700x!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links