Where to start?

This is a discussion on Where to start? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I'm interested in reloading and have looked around this sight and others. Also, talked with people a bit. So far I have just been told ...

Thread: Where to start?

Where to start?

I'm interested in reloading and have looked around this sight and others. Also, talked with people a bit. So far I have just been told to buy a Dillon 550. At this rate I have no idea where to start with this new endeavor. I did see people recommending to read threw some books and watch some videos to get a better understanding of the process.

Can anyone recommend some books and videos to start off understanding reloading?

Also, can anyone recommend a decent kit to start out on?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You'll get a lot of opinions on brands, etc., but most will suggest a single-stage setup to start. Basics first before mass production.

I learned a lot from a Speer reloading manual and various gun magazine articles on the subject. If you know anyone that reloads, they can show you the works.

The cheapest setup is most likely Lee. It has good and bad points, like any of them. I don't like the lock rings on Lee dies and replaced them with setscrew lock rings.

How much equipment you need depends on what you reload and how much. A good drop measure for the powder loads will be more consistant and faster than dip measurers.

My preference is RCBS equipment. Good stuff, lots of selection. Some of my stuff is old Herters equipment (vintage '75) that still works fine.

Most important thing is to go slow and careful. One double-load can ruin your day (and many others that follow).
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Zepplin3
    I think we are in the same general area and I have been reloading for years and may be able to help you. Private message me.
    Skip Griffith
    Korean War Vet
    Discharged as S/Sgt, 11th Airborne Div

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I'm interested in reloading and have looked around this sight and others. Also, talked with people a bit. So far I have just been told to buy a Dillon 550. At this rate I have no idea where to start with this new endeavor. I did see people recommending to read threw some books and watch some videos to get a better understanding of the process.

Can anyone recommend some books and videos to start off understanding reloading?

Also, can anyone recommend a decent kit to start out on?
    Dillon is nice, but get some reloading books. Fine some that can help you.Just take it easy.Good luck.
    Last edited by SatCong; July 12th, 2010 at 10:56 AM.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    The book “Modern Reloading” by Richard Lee is a good start as he explains all aspects of reloading ammunition. As far as equipment I second the recommendation of starting with a single stage press, it gives you a chance to check every step of the process and unless you plan on high volume production it will serve you well. YouTube has a multitude of videos just search using a search string such as “ammunition reloading”. Also check websites such as Winchester, Sierra Bullets or Hornanday or any other manufacturers as you can find a wealth of info on their sites. Here is a link to YouTube to get you started: YouTube - ammunition reloading
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The Dillon 550B is supposed to be the best progressive going. I however use a RCBS Rockchucker with a piggy back 3, which to me seems awesome. I used the rockchucker for a long time to single stage my rounds... great investment of time. The big thing to remember is to take your time slowly, that will build speed, which sounds counter intuitive. I like the Speer, Lyman, and Lee reloading manuals, seems that I have started to collect reloading manuals. Read a good reloading manual through from cover to cover, perhaps skipping calibers that you will not use, that is the most rewarding time to spend while killing time. I just wish that I had found the internet resources that are available when I started reloading.

Everyone that has a Dillon is like everyone that shoots a block, no other object is as good. I am afraid that a lot of hype goes into the product, but perhaps time and effort has born that out. Lee actually makes some great product for the beginning reloader, I would probably be tempted to get a lee turret deluxe kit if I was just starting out, but then again I have never used one.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Links