Oal for berrys 124 gr flat point

This is a discussion on Oal for berrys 124 gr flat point within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Anyone have a good OAL for 9mm berrys 124 gr flat point,I'm getting conflicting answers.I have a sheet I got from Hodgon that says 125 ...

Thread: Oal for berrys 124 gr flat point

Anyone have a good OAL for 9mm berrys 124 gr flat point,I'm getting conflicting answers.I have a sheet I got from Hodgon that says 125 gr. conical nose should be 1.125.Berrys says to use lead data.I called them today and they said it should be between 1.050 to 1.070.Isn't flat point the same as conical nose?Help this newbie out.Thanks. sj

Call Bud Watson @ 909-930-6712 for Berry's reloading info.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    1.125" is the standard length in most manuals. Be careful about seating too deep. If possible, get a factory round of the same weight and use it as a guide.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Thats what I've done.I always use 1.125,but the bullets looked like they were barely in the case.I called Watson,he's the one that told me to use 1.050 to 1.070.Thats pretty deep.Be fore I called him I had already loaded about 100 rounds.He told me to load 10 and try them out.I've always used 1.125 for pretty much most of my 9mm.That also matches up with some factory ammo.sj

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    Thats what I've done.I always use 1.125,but the bullets looked like they were barely in the case.I called Watson,he's the one that told me to use 1.050 to 1.070.Thats pretty deep.Be fore I called him I had already loaded about 100 rounds.He told me to load 10 and try them out.I've always used 1.125 for pretty much most of my 9mm.That also matches up with some factory ammo.sj
    That really isn't that deep considering the bullet is "missing" the top 25% due to the profile of a flat nosed bullet. Set it side by side with a round nose of the same weight and see how much shorter it is..... I was shocked when I first noticed it.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    Anyone have a good OAL for 9mm berrys 124 gr flat point,I'm getting conflicting answers.I have a sheet I got from Hodgon that says 125 gr. conical nose should be 1.125.Berrys says to use lead data.I called them today and they said it should be between 1.050 to 1.070.Isn't flat point the same as conical nose?Help this newbie out.Thanks. sj
    You called Berry's and asked them what COL to use. They gave you an answer. Presumably they know what they are talking about. But, as a check, Hornady specs their flat nose profile 124g HP-STP at 1.060" and their flat nosed FMJ-FP-ENC at 1.050". Their same weight FMJ-RN is 1.150". So the Berry's data looks good.

Load 10 and give them a try is good advice. It will also tell you if you have the powder charge right and the cartridge cycles reliably.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

What did you find out sjones???
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Sponsored Links