Bullseye age difference

Bullseye age difference

This is a discussion on Bullseye age difference within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hey guys, I was wondering if Hercules has changed their formula for bullseye since, oh about 1980? You see, I bought a can of bullseye ...

Thread: Bullseye age difference

Bullseye age difference

Hey guys, I was wondering if Hercules has changed their formula for bullseye since, oh about 1980? You see, I bought a can of bullseye (small square tin can with a cool snap top to it) that was sitting on the shelf of my local gunshop and started reloading with it using the starting load listed in my Lee manual. I noticed a lot more kick in my 9mm compared to WWB 115gr factory loads. No signs of overpressure but noticibly more recoil than the factory stuff. (kahr PM9 BTW) is the older stuff more potent? I don't want to have a kaboom. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    You might want to contact Alliant Powder Co. and ask that question.

I do know that some years back they changed the formula for some of their powders to make them a bit less dirty, but have serious doubts that that burning speeds have changed at all due to the vast ammount of older data out there.

P.S. My newest cannister of Bullseye is about 30 years old and still works as good as it did back when I first bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by nukehayes View Post
    Hey guys, I was wondering if Hercules has changed their formula for bullseye since, oh about 1980? You see, I bought a can of bullseye (small square tin can with a cool snap top to it) that was sitting on the shelf of my local gunshop and started reloading with it using the starting load listed in my Lee manual. I noticed a lot more kick in my 9mm compared to WWB 115gr factory loads. No signs of overpressure but noticibly more recoil than the factory stuff. (kahr PM9 BTW) is the older stuff more potent? I don't want to have a kaboom. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.
    Your comparison has no validity. It's pretty hard to compare some handload with a factory loading unless the handload is loaded to the same velocity and pressure as the factory. I've got handloads that have much more recoil than factory and some with much less. Plus you have no idea what powder is used in the factory loads. It's very doubtful that it's a powder available to handloaders.

If you follow the data in established loading manuals, it's highly unlikely you will have a KABOOM. If you do, it's reloader error.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

While lot-to-lot variations are possible, it would be bad form to materially change a familiar product possessing name recognition and long known and predictable performance characteristics. Any significant change in burning rate characteristics wouldn't really be the same product.

I've never encountered any large changes in any of several powders that have an internet reputation to be somehow different in newer production lots. "Different" in the case of propellant powder performance and labeling is a recipe for lawsuits and the companies aren't going there.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Sponsored Links