Anybody reload for their Glock 9mm

This is a discussion on Anybody reload for their Glock 9mm within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; yes i do. i also do for the 40 s&w and 45 acp glocks. i also reload cast lead for my 9mm, 40 s&w, and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Anybody reload for their Glock 9mm

yes i do. i also do for the 40 s&w and 45 acp glocks. i also reload cast lead for my 9mm, 40 s&w, and 45 acp glocks. but i use an after market barrel,,, like kkm and/or efk firedragon. i have even picked up several lone woff 40-9 barrels for the g27 and g23. they also shoot reloads well. now for any glock factory barrel, i would not use cast lead in them. but jacket reloads are ok. now i have heard of some that do shoot cast lead in the glock factory barrel, but don't. there are many threads on this subject and all of the reason for and/or against shooting reloads in the glock.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

2. Remove Ads

It may be just me but I shoot nothing but lead bullet reloads in My G35. ( .40 S&W) I have shot over 10,000 rds of reloads this year. No KABOOM yet.

Glock's are rated to +P+ in 9MM and the full 35,000+ PSI in .40 S&W which means they are "proofed" at 40,000 PSI or better. There are NO loads published in reputable (Nosler, Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Lyman, Hodgdon, Accurate, Alliant, IMR, Norma, Ramshot, Vihtavuori, WW) reloading manuals that exceed SAAMI pressure specs!

If you are handloading high pressure rounds, IE the .40 S&W/.357 Sig at these pressure levels, you need to be on top of what you are doing...Don't try to use a .40 case 15 times that has been max loaded, use the correct powder for the bullet weight you are using, keep your cases trimmed to the correct length...they grow fast at max. pressure and can cause all kinds of problems from FTF's/into battery to headspace problems in autos that cause hang-fires or over-pressure because the case gets "pinched" at the mouth. Failure to understand the nature and principle of what makes ammo "tick" is not the fault of the Glock Pistol. Any modern manual you pick up will clearly state "Reloading can be dangerous".

The polygonal rifling used by Glock, H&K and others "can" be problematic with cast bullets if you don't control the leading. Keep it cleaned out and no problems as hundreds of Glock and H&K shooters have demonstrated.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

The thread sorta got off course. I have used all brands of dies but for handgun I am partial to Redding and Lyman. If you are going to load on a regular basis "I" would spend the money for carbide dies. Even with carbide I use lube and like Lyman spray the best.
    For starting length of a loaded round I would reduce the listed max. col by .0010. My pistols seem to like shorter rather than longer for best feeding.
    Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    The chamber is looser on Glock barrels then some other brands or after market barrels. If you reuse your brass over and over the brass tends to weaken from resizing and that can cause problems. As others mentioned, don't use lead bullets. If you keep your loads low and watch your brass it should be fine. I will not shoots reloads that anyone else has reloaded.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Yes....all the time....I use a Lone Wolf barrel, and shoot lead all the time....watch your OAL, charge weights, and use a factory crimp die...make sure they are carbide. I have been using
    Lee carbide for years with no problems.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

As said before, don't use lead in a glock or any gun with haxagonal rifling... (unless you know what you are doing)... jacketed, plated etc. should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I have got close to 20,000 reloads through my G19. Why no reloads?
    If you suddenly stop posting on this forum, we'll both know why.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    DO NOT use reloads in your Glock!
    As the Glock book tells us-NO RELOADS.But hey,if you want to try,who are we to say no.I mean,what would Glock know about anything?

Are there any new pistols out there wherein the manufactures manual does not state "no reloaded and/or hand loaded ammunition"?
    Who is John Galt?

Reloading for any caliber and any gun is perfectly safe, as long as you stay with published loads, cross check those loads with at least one, preferably two other books, work up loads carefully, and approach maximum loads with extreme caution. Of course, you must also pay close attention to what you are doing, have a routine and if there is any doubt, stop what you are doing and double check everything.

I reload for all my pistols, including 9mm and 45acp Glocks. I have fired thousands of rounds of each caliber with zero problems. I use jacketed or plated bullets in polygonal barrels, as in my Glocks and Kahrs. I rarely load near maximum pressures, as the most accurate loads are usually in the mid to lower pressure range anyway.

I have used several different brands of dies and presses, but most of my reloading these days is done on an old RCBS single stage press with Lee dies. I believe there is less chance of a double charge, or no charge, when you are doing one function at a time. Takes longer that way, but I'm never in a hurry while reloading. It's not work to me, but recreation.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

Quote Originally Posted by deadhawg View Post
    Reloading for any caliber and any gun is perfectly safe, as long as you stay with published loads, cross check those loads with at least one, preferably two other books, work up loads carefully, and approach maximum loads with extreme caution. Of course, you must also pay close attention to what you are doing, have a routine and if there is any doubt, stop what you are doing and double check everything.

I reload for all my pistols, including 9mm and 45acp Glocks. I have fired thousands of rounds of each caliber with zero problems. I use jacketed or plated bullets in polygonal barrels, as in my Glocks and Kahrs. I rarely load near maximum pressures, as the most accurate loads are usually in the mid to lower pressure range anyway.

I have used several different brands of dies and presses, but most of my reloading these days is done on an old RCBS single stage press with Lee dies. I believe there is less chance of a double charge, or no charge, when you are doing one function at a time. Takes longer that way, but I'm never in a hurry while reloading. It's not work to me, but recreation.
    +1 Exactly!
    Who is John Galt?

I reload 9mm. I stay on the low end for powder for 3 reasons; safety, cost savings, and low recoil. I usually end up at or below the starting charge weight.
    I'm your Huckleberry.

I think reloads done by someone who is doing it correctly, compared to factory loads, is kind of like comparing a Harley Davidson to an Orange County Chopper bike. They are both good, but reloading gives you the ability to customize, and actually produce better quality ammo than factory, plus do it cheaper. As someone already correctly pointed out, all manafacturers say do not use reloads as a disclaimer for liabilitie reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I think reloads done by someone who is doing it correctly, compared to factory loads, is kind of like comparing a Harley Davidson to an Orange County Chopper bike. They are both good, but reloading gives you the ability to customize, and actually produce better quality ammo than factory, plus do it cheaper. As someone already correctly pointed out, all manafacturers say do not use reloads as a disclaimer for liabilitie reasons.
    Right on the money and it is a hobby that you grow into and greatly increases your understanding of what "your" firearms can and can't do. The information you get from your loading books and the time spent crafting your own ammo is very rewarding. I have also enjoyed bullet casting over the years.
    Who is John Galt?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links