Anybody reload for their Glock 9mm

This is a discussion on Anybody reload for their Glock 9mm within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I probably have in excess of 10,000 rounds downrange through my generation one Glock 21 (45 ACP), with no issues. Almost all are my personal ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Anybody reload for their Glock 9mm

VIP Member
    I probably have in excess of 10,000 rounds downrange through my generation one Glock 21 (45 ACP), with no issues.

Almost all are my personal reloads from my Dillon Square Deal.

As previously mentioned, FMJ or plated 230gr bullets exclusively, no lead through the factory barrel
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I reload for everything I shoot. I have two Glock 9mm pistols (19 and 26). My carry ammo is COR-BON DPX, all my practice ammo is 115g Berry's plated lead round nose bullets - I buy them a few thousand at a time. A pound of powder makes up about 1,000 rounds of 9mmP. I buy once fired brass in batches of 1,000. A 1,000 brass purchase lasts me quite a while - I lose some here and there but most of them get fired 8 or 10 times. I load the Berry's bullets to around 1150 fps to be sure they make the power factor for IDPA on cold days - and that's not a maximum load. The plated lead bullets work just as well as conventional FMJ bullets in the Glock barrel.

I use a Dillon 550B for handgun ammo. If it isn't set up for 9mm (I also load .380, .38Sp, .357, .45 LC, and .45ACP on it) it can be changed over in 15 minutes or less. I can crank out 500 rounds of practice ammo in an easy hour and a half to two hours including setup time - no stress, easy money.

I've lost count of how many rounds I've reloaded and fired through the G19 and it works just fine. I am able to reuse brass 8 or 10 times and haven't had any brass failures (I wish my 7mm Mag brass would last like that!).

There are folks that reload, and folks that don't. It's not for everybody. If you aren't a DIY sort of person, it's probably not for you. Most, but not all, of the folks that don't reload never have, and don't know what's involved in it, but they will offer opinions anyway. And there are folks that don't have a good mindset for reloading, impatient, make guesses, want to watch TV and reload at the same time (bad idea) and they should just buy ammo.

That said, reloading isn't rocket science, it's pretty simple to load up semi-auto practice ammo one follows some simple rules. The most important rule? Don't guess! If you know "know" or don't have a good reference, like a bullet makers reloading manual, and years of careful experience, don't try it, get data to find out what works. Rationalization isn't a substitute for data. Don't go where you have no data and you will be fine.

Fitch
    Exsimguy1 likes this.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    For someone to say NEVER shoot reloads in a Glock is absolutely ludicrous! I have been shooting for over 40 years, and I've been reloading for over 40 years. After initial break with a new gun on factory ammo, I shoot ONLY reloads in all my guns, but I never push the limits and I would never shoot a reload that I didn't load myself. If not for reloading, I'd have long ago gone broke buying factory ammo for the tens of thousands of rounds I've fired.

As for Glock saying not to shoot reloads in their guns, every gun manufacturer makes that statement in their user guide for legal purposes.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Yep, use the same loads in my wifes G19 as I do in my Taurus guns. 124 gr Raineer or Berry's plated bullets with 3.8 gr of 700x for powder.

Based on Hodgdons data this is over the limit, but based on my Lyman book this is well below the limit, haven't figured out why the differnce. When I was using the max of 3.6 gr that Hodgdon says on their data with a 125 gr lead, a lot of times the guns would not cycle. The Glock occasionally, but mostly Ruger SR series just would not run until I up the charge to 3.8 gr. My two Taurus guns were pretty forgiving on the lesser charge, but run well on the 3.8 gr.

There is nothing that indicates these loads are even close to what factory load pressures are. Just enough powder to make the guns cycle well and they seem accurate enough for punching holes in paper or shooting plates or cans or whatever else happens to be the fancy of the day.

The only guns that I load hot rounds for are the Rugers in .357 and .44 mag and these are only used for hunting. Range ammo is kept mild even in the Rugers. I don't see a need to beat up the gun or my wrists when trying to have fun.

Oh, and yes Glock along with just about every gun manufacturer say not to shoot reloads. Why, because they don't want to warranty guns when idiots load stuff that isn't safe. Since many of the members here including myself have thousands of rounds and years of reloading under their belts, I can safely say we don't fall into the idiot catagory.

The way I reload requires me to handle each piece of brass 3, 4 or sometimes 5 times. Buldged, split or otherwise damaged cases get weeded out pretty quickly when you handle the brass that many times. Good luck if you decide to take on the 9mm cartridge in for reloading. They are one of the easiest in my book. I put out 300 last night, and plan on doing another 500 this evening.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I do not and will not use reloaded ammunition in my stock GLOCK 19, no aftermarket barrels here. This is my EDC and I hear too many horror stories of re-loads. There are plenty of people who load their own, power to them but it's not for me. I have heard to avoid soft lead bullets or stick with jacketed. I have yet to have any issues with WWB, UMC, Federal Champion, RWS, and Remington Golden Saber. I went to 9mm for the savings on ammo prices and unfortunately don't get the opportunity to go through enough ammo to have to decide between range time and food on the table yet. If you do reload be extra carefull and I sincerely hope that you prove all us naysayers wrong.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Thanks for all the feedback Gents. I ended up getting the XD 4" instead of the Glock, Kahr or M&P. The ergonimics were better for me, and I liked the grip safety, and trigger pull seemed better. I do reload for my .38, .41, .44 and my rifles and shotguns and love doing so, but was concerned about the rumors of possible "slide face" with reloading for a Glock. I am just having fun making empties now but will end up loading Jacketed 147's and probably plated 115's or 124's for fun stuff. And will keep a sharp eye on my oal while working my loads up slowly. The XD was a present for my 50th Bday ,so I asked Santa for some dies and lead, hopefully he will comply.
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Happy Birthday, enjoy your XD!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I reload for all my Glocks! I did put a KKM barrel in my G21C for some competition shooting and discovered it likes lead bullets a lot better than a factory Glock barrel.
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

I have just started reloading and have the books and forums that have been suggested. The only 'cons' I have been warned about is to load .45ACP first, by far the easiest and most forgiving. 9mm would be second after a couple hundred rounds of .45 and DON'T do any .40 until you have 2-3 thousand rounds of .45 under your belt. I have been told that the .40 is probably the most finicky of all the reloads. So far with my .45 I have stayed on the bottom of the powder scale using W231 and 200gr plated round nose bullets (Rainier). Using a Lee classic turret with Lee dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    For someone to say NEVER shoot reloads in a Glock is absolutely ludicrous! I have been shooting for over 40 years, and I've been reloading for over 40 years. After initial break with a new gun on factory ammo, I shoot ONLY reloads in all my guns, but I never push the limits and I would never shoot a reload that I didn't load myself. If not for reloading, I'd have long ago gone broke buying factory ammo for the tens of thousands of rounds I've fired.

As for Glock saying not to shoot reloads in their guns, every gun manufacturer makes that statement in their user guide for legal purposes.
    I too have been reloading for over 35 years and shoot lead, FMJ and plated reloads in my Glocks using a Dillon Square Deal. Not a problem. If you use lead, just keep your barrel clean.

Anybody watch hickok45 on youtube? That guy shoots Glocks A LOT and he reloads all his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    minimalbrat likes this.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Nearly everything I've put through my Glocks is reloads, including (heaven-forbid) lead. Glock chambers are pretty generous, so you shouldn't have any particular issues loading for your 9mm. Just make up some dummy rounds to make sure you are using an OAL that will run through your mags and fit the chamber. The only real issue I've run into was with my G30 which would not take lighter loads without a recoil spring change.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Some people worry that the round is not fully supported in a Glock and will create a weak spot. The 9mm round in pretty thick and I have never had a problem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links