Reloaders???

This is a discussion on Reloaders??? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; We shoot a lot of pistol ammo. About 6000 rounds 9mm/mo., and 500 rounds 10mm/mo. Of course we'll save a ton reloading - my question:Is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloaders???

Reloaders???

We shoot a lot of pistol ammo. About 6000 rounds 9mm/mo., and 500 rounds 10mm/mo.
    Of course we'll save a ton reloading - my question:Is it a difficult pain in the butt. Some guys we shoot with love it, and they all think we're crazy not to reload. Looking at a Dillon 650 and 1050.
    Opinions? Advice?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    First off for the record I do not reload. With that being said, since you shoot ~6000+ rounds/month I believe you could pay for your equipment in no time at all. Just listening to those that shoot a lot and reload my understanding is that you could save >75% on ammo cost each month. I don't believe I misunderstood what I was being told. The only problem is finding the time for your new hobby.
    SCGunLover1

reloading is not a pain and it will save you $$$$$. the only problems is time.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    At that rate the Dillon would be the way to go. Myself I use a single stage press but I only load 200-500 rounds per month.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

9mm and 10mm ammunition is not difficult to reload. With a good setup (for your volume I would recommend Dillon) once it is tuned in to your specific load you will save a lot of money. To get an idea of the costs in reloading:

Look on the net (remember powder & primers have a Hazmat fee added to shipping) or at some local suppliers for reloading supplies then:

1. Check out the prices for the bullets you will need.
    2. Check out the prices for primers.
    3. Check out the prices for powder.

For an idea as to cost per round there are several internet sites that will give you recipes for the calibers you reload. ***(before you actually begin reloading you must have a Bible or reloading manual)

Plug in the numbers on a reloading cost calculator and see what you come up with... The only other factor is the value you place on your time.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

OMO

bosco
    Last edited by boscobeans; July 21st, 2010 at 10:35 PM. Reason: added info

Boy, with that many rounds, I can't imagine you DON'T reload. Are you shooting all jacketed bullets too?

Shooting that much, a high end progressive would pay for itself in no time. I'm a Lee guy myself, but I'd recommend taking a look at the Hornady system. In an independent test, of the 3 big ones, Hornady won. Lee was 2nd, Dillon placed 3rd. (Lee beat Dillon mainly due to price)

I actually enjoy reloading more than shooting sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    reloading is not a pain and it will save you $$$$$. the only problems is time.
    I completely agree.

on my lee load master, i and run 100 rounds every 7min....

Dillion...wow! Starting at the top end. I personally have used Lee for 30 years. My pay back was about 2,000 rounds. I too did that in about a month. Right now 9mm are running me about $6.30/50. Can probably do better but I don't always like to shoot lead. Sometimes just get a craving for the jacked stuff.

It is relaxing and fun! I would recommend it to everyone that shoots. Plus...you never know when a primer might go off and make you crap your pants! Keeps you young!!!
    Attached Images
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

Senior Moderator
    I'd get the 650.

The 1050 does primarily pistol ammo and some of the smaller rifle stuff. It's a bit faster than the 650, but the 650 is more versatile.

The 650 does it all. Itf you ever want to reload something like '06 later on down the line, it would be nice to be able to do so.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

We shoot FMJ, 124 grain when we can get it a decent price (22 cents a round), otherwise 115, which is about 20 cents a round. We can reload for about 12 cents each, plus the cost of the brass, which we can collect in a hurry based on how much we shoot. Once fired brass costs about 3 cents, and I'm told it can be shot 8 times if we load to 1200 fps, which simulates the charge of +p defense ammo. So 13 cents a piece, save 9 cents, times 6000 rds, $540/ a month is a huge savings. I'm not that mechanically inclined, don't want to quit for it being to hard to understand. Set to load 500 -600 rds/hr is about $1500 to Dillon. I think we're going to do it. Probably won't save a dime, just shoot an extra 4000 rds/mo...lol...

And thanks all for the insight and advice...

Senior Moderator
    You know its a great investment. The cost of ammo more than likey will continue to increase.

Ten years from now when the average box of ammo cost about 75 bucks, you'll be glad you did it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I still use my old Herters single stage press (vintage '75) for my .45 ACP and 9mm Mak loads. I'll load about 100-150 at a sitting, but then I don't shoot the numbers you do. That will require a progressive setup. Dillon always has good reviews but are on the pricier end of the spectrum.

Your saving will be in buying in bulk. Lead bullets are a lot cheaper than jacketed and fine for range work. Many will suggest starting with a single-stage setup to learn the ropes, and that's not a bad idea. I think it gives you better control over the process, initially at least. You can get a decent Lee package for @$150-200, and it makes a good backup afterwards if you progressive ever goes down for maintenance.

Unless really abused with hot loads, pistol brass lasts forever. I've never had to trim it, other than converting 9mm Luger brass to 9mm Mak.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'm just now getting into reloading. Getting everything together. If you'd like to know my process about why i decided to reload ill explain what i did.

Looked up to process including videos to watch the whole process to see what was involved so i could accurately count price. I then Shopped for realistic prices on this equipment.

I then looked up common recipes so i could price out components.

After that i compared the price per round of reload to my current purchase price per round. I took the difference (for me ~13.5 cents per round on 40 S&W savings) and divided it into the cost of equipment and discover i would pay off my investment after approx 2100 reloaded rounds. so i decided to go for it.

Hope that helps, I don't really have any experience yet but thats how my decision process went if that helps you.

EDIT to add: If i were shooting 6k rounds a month i would've purchased the nicest and fastest reloader i could find. But hey thats me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links