Help me spend my money!

Help me spend my money!

This is a discussion on Help me spend my money! within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Guys, I have never reloaded before but I just bought a .45 acp and with the price of ammo and having trouble just finding it ...

Help me spend my money!

Guys,
    I have never reloaded before but I just bought a .45 acp and with the price of ammo and having trouble just finding it in the first place, I would like to start reloading. I have been reading through various threads and I saw this kit recommended on another thread. Would this be a good beginner choice or would I be better suited with another setup? I already have a digital scale, digital calipers, tumbler and media. I'd like to just reload fmj practice ammo. I have also bought the newest ABCs of reloading. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to stay around 200 or so if possible but if I would be better suited to save for a higher end loader I am willing to do that also.

http://https://kempfgunshop.com//ind...hk=1&Itemid=41

Kempf Kit w/ Lee Classic Turret Press
    ( Lee Precision )

Price: $177.95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IN STOCK - SHIPS FAST

This Kempf Exclusive Reloading Kit includes ALL the tools you will need to make quality ammunition, plus enough ammo storage boxes for 300 rounds. The Auto-Indexing Press, Auto-Powder Drop and Safety Prime System provide speed and accuracy in reloading nearly all metallic cartridges. You can expect to load 4-5 boxes (200-250 rounds) per hour using this equipment. If you want to reload more than one caliber, just buy the appropriate die set and an extra 4 hole turret. Changing calibers is fast, easy, and economical with the Classic Turret Press. This Kit includes all of the following equipment.

Pistol Caliber Kits Include:
    Lee Classic Turret Press
    Lee Deluxe 4-Die Set for the pistol caliber of your choice. (3 Die set in 380, 44/40 and 357 Sig)
    Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure
    Lee Safety Prime System (Large or Small)
    Lee Auto Disk Riser (Required for the Safety Prime System)
    Six MTM 50 round Plastic Ammo Boxes

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A Lee single stage will certainly get you started. Unless you're planning on cranking out big numbers of rounds at a sitting, a progressive is more complicated and expensive. Better to learn to ride a bicycle before jumping on a motorcycle. Get the basics down first, and then if you really get into it, you can always save up for the hi-speed loaders.

I've been using a single stage press for years. I don't load 100s of rounds at a time, and for me, it's relaxing to pump them out one at a time. I load up whatever amount I can afford to buy primers, etc. for at any one time. I don't know if you'll manage 200-250 rounds in an hour with the Lee, but you might once it's set up properly and you're up to speed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Go for the Kempf kit and get both upgrades, definitely worth the extra $22. Also pick up the Lee manual, a good reference and has lots of load data. This is the kit I have and love it. It can be used as a single stage if you remove the center rod. I love the ease that four pulls of the handle and I have loaded ammo. Gone are the days of constantly readjusting dies, and worries of bumping my loading block and spilling powder while prepping my single stage. I also love that caliber changes are relatively inexpensive. Lee carbide 4 die set and shell plate = ~$45. A true progressive like Dillion, or Hornday costs over $100 per caliber change. I'm loading for seven calibers right now and don't feel I'm missing out w/ the "big" guys. I do suggest you purchase extra ratchet gears, they are a wearable part and it's a pain if you don't have a spare in the middle of a run (mine usually last 3-5K rounds and my kit came w/ one extra.)
    All in all a great press at a good price. Defiantly a buy!
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    Go for the Kempf kit and get both upgrades, definitely worth the extra $22. Also pick up the Lee manual, a good reference and has lots of load data. This is the kit I have and love it. It can be used as a single stage if you remove the center rod. I love the ease that four pulls of the handle and I have loaded ammo. Gone are the days of constantly readjusting dies, and worries of bumping my loading block and spilling powder while prepping my single stage. I also love that caliber changes are relatively inexpensive. Lee carbide 4 die set and shell plate = ~$45. A true progressive like Dillion, or Hornday costs over $100 per caliber change. I'm loading for seven calibers right now and don't feel I'm missing out w/ the "big" guys. I do suggest you purchase extra ratchet gears, they are a wearable part and it's a pain if you don't have a spare in the middle of a run (mine usually last 3-5K rounds and my kit came w/ one extra.)
    All in all a great press at a good price. Defiantly a buy!
    What he said. +1

Good set. I do not like the Lee scale (you already have one- GOOD)
    Powder measure upgrade (as stated above) would be my advice as well.

The folks at Kempf's are top notch.

OMO

bosco

I also bought the LCT from Kempf.I like it.No problems at all.As the other poster said its real easy to change calibers if you want to.I can load about 100 per hour,not being a speed demon,just at a comfortable pace.Its a great press.I used to have a dillon and it also was a great press but it cost a heck of a lot more.

Kempf Kit w/ Lee Classic Turret Press
    ( Lee Precision )
    That plus a copy of Lyman's or Speer's manual. The ABC's of Reloading book does not have load data. The Lyman and Speer manuals do, and good procedural information.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go that route. I hear much good, little bad about the Lee Classic Turret. InterWebz gunboard hearsay, YMMV. My understanding is this "kit" is a bundle Kempfs put together.

A caliper would be a good thing to add. Ditto, eventually, a kinetic bullet puller, for your mistakes.

a .45 acp
    One of the easier rounds to handload.

If you shoot very much save for a Dillon Square Deal 'B'. Considering it comes with a set of dies and a powder measure it is not unduly expensive. I used a single stage press for years before I bought a Dillon. After loading thousands of rounds I could kick my behind for not doing it sooner.

nuy a dillon it worth the money

Update: I ordered the kit with both upgrades and it should be here tomorrow! Now I have to order a manual and learn to use the loader and get it set up. Anyone have any online links to read? Thanks.

If you want to get a fast start, the manual is at the Lee website. If you get stumped call Lee, they have always been helpful and friendly.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    My wife is the expert at helping folks spend money. If you really need help in that area I can put you in touch with her. I only get to do the reloading around here.

Links