Finally did it... - Page 2

Finally did it...

This is a discussion on Finally did it... within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Congrats! Love my Dillon 550 ....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally did it...

Lead Moderator
    Congrats! Love my Dillon 550 .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Ok,

Here's some quick pictures.

This is the bench (it's still a mess from replacing the top), I went with a single 3/4" sheet of plywood which is bolted to the framework of the bench. I was going to go with two 3/4" sheets bolted together but one sheet seems pretty solid and that leaves me the other sheet to replace the bottom shelf.

Here's a shot of the left side of the press where you can see the powder sensor (the reason I went with the 650 was for the extra station for the powder alarm) and the bullet tray, the hardware kit was short two screws which is why there are two silver and two black, it will be nice to be able to call them and 1: Have someone answer the phone and 2: Have them just send me the screws. Also note that with the strong mount you can mount the press almost completely over the bench top with little to no overhang which is great as I can use the right draw now. I previously had to rig a raised platform for my Lee

Obviously the strong mount is a much better option

Here's a shot of the front of the machine, the roller handle is a must.

While it's not fair to compare the Load Master to the XL650, all I can say is that the Lee comes off as a total jalopy compared to the Dillon. Want to empty the primers? Just pull our the primer catcher (will add detailed photos later), none of this unscrew this and tug on that and fight with the darn thing for half an hour.

Indexing? Auto indexing rocks. The only adjustment not related to the tool head I had to do was to the case feeder to get more positive placement of the empty case. I loosened one screw, adjusted the part and tightened the screw back down. I'm not even going to talk about the case feeder on the Lee, I had the thing for year and could never make it work.

One thing I will add is that I like the Lee bullet seating die better and I did install that one as it's easier to adjust than the Dillon die.

Instruction materials? I ordered the Dillon DVD but haven't watched it yet, the instruction manuals thus far have been very good. I still have to fine tune the powder drop and the powder alarm but otherwise it's good to go. For the Lee I had to go to a forum where the members put together a better manual than Lee did.

Overall the difference in build design and quality all around is astounding. The Dillon is just all together better made and well thought out in design.

OD*
    Lookin' good, John.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Lookin' good, John.
    Thanks, the man cave is in need of more shelving and I eventually want to replace the bench, but I think I'll be all right for a while.

Some more thoughts on the press:

Regarding the strong mount, while it allows the press to be more out of the way, the absence of a case feeder is going to bite me in the rear as the feed tube is pretty high up there, and I may not have room for a case feeder as there's a duct right over the press. I will say that if you want the strong mount, make sure you have enough open space above the press for a case feeder as that will eliminate some hassle in refilling the feed tube. I still have to fine tune the powder drop and alarm. I will make a note to myself to annotate how may casings can fit in the tube. Refilling that thing in it's current state is really going to be a pain. I may end up rearranging the man cave to get the press out from under that duct.

I don't see any height specs on the Dillon website, I will take those down sometime this week and post them in an update.\\

ETA:

I just found the specs and they do not include the strong mount, 44" required. I wonder what I've got between the bench top and the duct.

Thanks, the man cave is in need of more shelving and I eventually want to replace the bench, but I think I'll be all right for a while.
    "man cave", now come on we all know who your other half is so in this case it's probably more like the "family cave". Looking pretty good and your going to love the Dillon.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    "man cave", now come on we all know who your other half is so in this case it's probably more like the "family cave". Looking pretty good and your going to love the Dillon.
    It's the one part of the house that "is mine" so in essence, it's still the man cave, I just let Lima borrow it from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    It's the one part of the house that "is mine" so in essence, it's still the man cave, I just let Lima borrow it from time to time.
    The ideal time to let her borrow it is when the press handle needs to be worked a couple of thousand times.

Looks like with the bit of tweaking you mentioned your setup will do you well.

I have been avoiding time in the "man cave" to reload because it has been so darn hot down here. This is the first week we have seen less than 100 degree temps. Now that it is cooled down a bit I think I have somewhere between 3 and 5,000 pieces of 9mm brass that need to be loaded. With that many to load this is the only time I want for a progressive instead of my turret press. Oh well, one year I will move up and play with the big boys.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I'm going to start taking bets on how it takes for you to buy the electronic Case feeder.
    I say 1 month.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links