Car battery lead? Useful?

This is a discussion on Car battery lead? Useful? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hey can you use the lead from car batteries melted down, after cleaning deeply of course? I am trying to educate my self more on ...

Thread: Car battery lead? Useful?

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

Car battery lead? Useful?

Hey can you use the lead from car batteries melted down, after cleaning deeply of course?

I am trying to educate my self more on EOTW survival options if it were to ever come to it.

I mean what if they banned ammo worldwide through some New World Order thing.

I would have to know how to manufacture my own ammo using lead and a bullet mold.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Lead is lead is lead. IT is possible that modern batteries don't use pure lead, and instead use some sort of alloy. If so, you would need to "purify" the lead from the alloy of the plates. This might not be difficult at all and it might not be necessary.

Lead is an element. All lead is exactly the same.
    But, all lead containing products are not exactly the same.

Senior Moderator
    Yes, it can be used. It got some nasty stuff on it, so one would need to use extreme caution. As for impurities, they'll float to the top of the lead when smelting, they can be easily skimmed off of the top.

When bullets get banned, bullet molds will be worth as much as gold.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The so-called "maintenance-free" batteries use an alloy hardened with cadmium. This gives the plates more strength but at the same time makes them more brittle. Given a preference, I would avoid them but look instead for conventional batteries (almost extinct for passenger cars these days), with the big ones off trucks or deep-cycle batteries from boats and golf carts being the best of the lot.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

There is seriously a lot of nasty, horrible chemicals involved in salvaging lead from batteries. Unless we are in the last hours of the world as we know it, I would never ever attempt to deal with it and I work with some even nastier stuff every day for my FT job.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    There is seriously a lot of nasty, horrible chemicals involved in salvaging lead from batteries. Unless we are in the last hours of the world as we know it, I would never ever attempt to deal with it and I work with some even nastier stuff every day for my FT job.
    My father in law used to work recycling batteries (before they moved it overseas) and he can tell ya all about melting the lead down to sell. He told me they ran the plastic top of the battery through a saw, then dumped the contents out into a stream of water to dilute the sulfuric acid and he wore this heavy apron to keep it off of him.....and that he used to melt the lead down into the top of an old electric transformer till it got too heavy, then he'd take it to sell. That's as much as I know about it, but he did it for years and he's still around with no unusual health problems.

The so-called "maintenance-free" batteries use an alloy hardened with cadmium. This gives the plates more strength but at the same time makes them more brittle. Given a preference, I would avoid them but look instead for conventional batteries (almost extinct for passenger cars these days), with the big ones off trucks or deep-cycle batteries from boats and golf carts being the best of the lot.
    Well I had one of those fancy gel batteries for my truck (because my uncle got it when he worked at Autozone and he gave it to me) and it quit on me doing the funkiest thing. It would sometimes start and sometimes be dead, so we hooked it up to the charger and the indicator went back and forth from full charge to zero. Really weird. I'll not buy another one.
    I've had really good luck with WalMart's cheapest......as far as I know they are about as "normal" as they come. They still have acid and water in them anyway.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If newer batteries contain cadmium steer clear of them. Cadimium is extremely toxic. As for recyling the lead from older batteries, if rinsed and you stay up wind of the fumes when melting, in an EOTW scenerio, battery lead will do. But in that scenerio, why bother with batteries when there are so many tire weights around?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

What about the lead weights from Scuba Shops. Many shops made their own weights in 2-8lb sizes. A lot of divers have gotten away from solid lead weights & have gone to shot filled bags. I have bought the lead weights for $1/lb from these shops.. for other purposes .The lead is very clean to begin with !

why bother with batteries when there are so many tire weights around?
    I know some mountain folks who make their black powder ammo out of these.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

[QUOTE=Tala;1754822]My father in law used to work recycling batteries (before they moved it overseas) and he can tell ya all about melting the lead down to sell. He told me they ran the plastic top of the battery through a saw, then dumped the contents out into a stream of water to dilute the sulfuric acid and he wore this heavy apron to keep it off of him.....and that he used to melt the lead down into the top of an old electric transformer till it got too heavy, then he'd take it to sell. That's as much as I know about it, but he did it for years and he's still around with no unusual health problems.[\QUOTE]
    It can be done but the average guy at home doesn't have the equipment or knowledge of the chemical reactions that occur in this operation. That was my point. If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Needed to change a kitchen faucet today. (Long miserable story and experience.) Anyway, rummaging around the tool boxes I found all manner of pieces of lead left over from one project or another. Pipe, weights, who knows what now, on the bottom of the tool box.

I don't think scraping up spare lead is a big prob.

Links