$350 reloading set up

$350 reloading set up

This is a discussion on $350 reloading set up within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Is it possible to make a complete reloading setup for this amount of money? I was looking at a lee anniversary set, which seems to ...

$350 reloading set up

Is it possible to make a complete reloading setup for this amount of money?
    I was looking at a lee anniversary set, which seems to have a lot of the needed stuff for starting out.

Any input would be appreciated.

I've Got less than that in my setup, & Yes the lee Annivesary Kit Is Fine. With the Rounds I pump out I'm Saving BIG TIME ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Read some reviews on whatever you plan to buy. I had a Dillon Square Deal and wish I had never sold it. You will spend a little over $350 for that setup, and the machine only reloads straight-walled handgun calibers, but that may be all you need. I've been watching them on Ebay but they sell pretty close to the new price lately.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I would suggest something a little more stout like an RCBS. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker that's been going strong for about 20 years. Never have had a single problem with it. Lee does make some other fine products, but I find their presses lacking.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Look at Kempf's turret reloading kit deal. Add the upgrades for $22. Pick up a digital scale ($30 at Kempfs), a manual Kempfs has a Lees 2nd ed for $16, and pick up a set of digital calipers at your auto parts store of choice for ~$20. If you plan on more the one caliber pick up an empty turret for each as well as dies and your ready to go.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Lee Anniversay set is a good one. I still use mine all the time. You should easily be in business for under $200 which includes dies, powder, primers, and bullets, as long as you stick with the less expensive stuff. In these parts, you can find real bargains at gun shows too. I picked up an Old style (Aluminum Challenger press) Lee Anniversay set, in like new condition, at a gun show in Colorado for $30. Didn't need it, but couldn't pass it up! I don't think it had ever been used.

When I started, I used the little free booklets the powder manufacturers put out for data. Nowadays, they all have data online. So you don't even need a book, as long as you have the basic Lee instructions. The Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Ed. is very good reading though, and would be a great aid in learning the craft. Lots of good wisdom in there, although some will disagree. Basically, an "if it's not broke, don't fix it" mentality. I work hard for my money and don't really care to blow it on stuff that is unnecesary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    Look at Kempf's turret reloading kit deal. Add the upgrades for $22. Pick up a digital scale ($30 at Kempfs), a manual Kempfs has a Lees 2nd ed for $16, and pick up a set of digital calipers at your auto parts store of choice for ~$20. If you plan on more the one caliber pick up an empty turret for each as well as dies and your ready to go.
    That's a good way to go. The lee turret is good value. I have the 4 hole classic cast myself. I also have a Hornady LNL AP too. Next up is a Lyman T Mag.
    I'm your Huckleberry.

Never used a Lee, but my Lyman T mag setup was less than 350 when I bought it with all the extra stuff I needed. Don't know what they run now, but I don't know how you would tear one of them up.

Depending on how much you plan on loading and what different calibers you want to load a turret press might just be the ticket. Not quite as fancy as the progressives, and you don't get as many rounds per hour, but once you get the turrets set up with various calibers, switching between them only takes about a minute. Reset your powder measure, double, triple check it and your loading a differnet caliber in under 3 to 5 minutes easy.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Had a lee pro 1000 before I switched to Dillon,the primer feed on the Dillon was less than stellar,had primers that would fail to slide all the way to the feed,ended up flipping them and either seated them sideways or upside down,the lee hand primer is a much better primer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

$350 reloading set up

Is it possible to make a complete reloading setup for this amount of money?
    I was looking at a lee anniversary set, which seems to have a lot of the needed stuff for starting out.

Any input would be appreciated.
    For that kind of money, and if single stage is OK, go RCBS. RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit

Master Kit Includes:

* Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage press
    * 505 scale
    * Uniflow Powder Measure
    * Speer Reloading Manual
    * Hand priming tool with small and large primer plugs
    * Folding Hex Key Set with 0.050", 1/16", 5/64", 3/32", 7/64", 1/8", 9/64" and 5/32" keys
    * Universal Case Loading Block, which holds 40 cases in most rifle and pistol calibers
    * Case Lube Kit, which includes a 2 oz bottle of Case Lube-2, a case lube pad, 2 case neck brushes for .22 through .30 calibers and an accessory handle
    * Powder Funnel for .22 to .45 caliber, including the Winchester Short Magnum calibers
    * Chamfer and deburring tool for .17 through .45 caliber

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I just got my setup and spent a lot less.

Lee turret kit: $110
    Lee .40 dies: $25

Total spent for everything I needed minus components: $135.

Extras I bought
    Lee hand primer: $17
    Lyman tumbler: $40
    Corncob: $13
    10 50rd plastic boxes: $20
    Hornady reloading manual: $40
    Double disk kit: $10

Total spent including extras: $275

At $20 a box for factory ammo, and $10 for my reloaded ammo, after 1400 rounds it will all be paid for in savings.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I bought the Lee Classic Turret and couldn't be happier.You can reload a box of 50 in about 20 to 30 minutes with out hurrying at all.Its not as fast as a true progressive but its but its still good to learn on and you can reload rifle as well as pistol both on it,plus its a heck of a lot cheaper. Then you can spend your money on components.Thats the whole idea in the first place.

Links