I finally started reloading!

This is a discussion on I finally started reloading! within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I've been contemplating it for years. It was the initial cost that has always deterred me. Been reading about it a ton, finally I caved ...

Thread: I finally started reloading!

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

I finally started reloading!

I've been contemplating it for years. It was the initial cost that has always deterred me. Been reading about it a ton, finally I caved in.

I bought a Lee turret kit, a hand primer, a hornady book, steel calipers, a few thousand primers/bullets, and a pound of HS-6. Oh, and a lyman tumbler and some corncob.

Fortunately I already have a few thousand .40 S&W casings all saved...all winchester, so I am in no shortage of brass.

Setting up the dies was easy, and within an hour of opening the box, I had 100 rounds done. Made some more, and by the time I was done, I realized the savings over full price ammo had ALREADY paid for the kit.

I find it pretty enjoyable, and will probably start reloading for .223 also. Couldn't be happier with my decision to start.

Question: With the lee press, I have it mounted directly to my bench. The holes in the base for spent primers fill up quick...do you guys just let it fill and then wipe off the spent primers that accumulate or do you unbolt the press and clear them out when it gets full?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

2. Remove Ads

Mine has a little plate mounted with a screw that kind of forms a box with the base of the press. When full I just take out the screw and let them come out and sweep them in the trash. Congrats on your new found shooting freedom. You will have alot more fun and pride knowing you are creating your own loads, and they are cheaper too.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Better rounds that cost half as much seems too good to be true, but then there's always the old saying, if you want something done right, do it yourself.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

You WILL find yourself shooting moore ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I clean up scattered spent primers with a shopvac. Many miss the bucket that's "supposed" to catch them.

As you've found out, reloading isn't difficult; it only requires attention to details. Speed is not important; details (powder type, amounts, etc. ) are. You'll find out that, contrary to what many feel, reloads are just as reliable as factory loads once the equipment is set up properly.

.223 is a breeze to reload, but a bit slower due to case lubing. You can really fine tune loads and make a tackdriver out of rifles that always shot "good enough."

I still use a single-stage press. Reloading is my "theraputic" time.

Enjoy!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The one I use has a tube exiting the bottom of the press and the spent primers fill up the tube.

Links