Looking for opinions on reloading; startup costs, savings, difficulty... - Page 2

Looking for opinions on reloading; startup costs, savings, difficulty...

This is a discussion on Looking for opinions on reloading; startup costs, savings, difficulty... within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Well I bit the bullet, so to speak, and picked up a RCBS reloading kit. I'm looking forward to getting started! I even found out ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for opinions on reloading; startup costs, savings, difficulty...

VIP Member
    Well I bit the bullet, so to speak, and picked up a RCBS reloading kit. I'm looking forward to getting started! I even found out that the Missouri Dept. of Conservation hosts a "learn to reload" class for free. Can't beat that!

Quote Originally Posted by punk rocka View Post
    Well I bit the bullet, so to speak, and picked up a RCBS reloading kit. I'm looking forward to getting started! I even found out that the Missouri Dept. of Conservation hosts a "learn to reload" class for free. Can't beat that!
    You can't go wrong with RCBS. I've got a RockChucker that I bought from a friend used that is still going strong after thousands and thousands of rounds. I haven't reloaded in awhile, but am getting back into it. I learned from a friend who I shot silhouettes with years ago. Taking a class is a great idea if you can't find someone who you know, and TRUST to teach you! I've never reloaded for my autoloader, but use to for my silhouette pistols. I just got a new Remington 700 in .308, and intend to get back into reloading for it. Best of luck to you.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Well your next step will be a progressive press. I have 2. Obviously you don't save money but you sure get to shoot more.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    [QUOTE=OldVet;1780887You biggest savings will be in buying in bulk. 500 lead bullets cost less per bullet than 100 do. 1000 cost less than 500, etc. Same goes for primers. I pay $4.95 for a box of 100. I can order 1000 online but shipping and Haz Mat fees makes it almost the same cost. But if I buy 1000 small pistol and 1000 large pistol in the same order, the per primer cost goes way down.

A 1 lb can of powder wil run about $25-30 in a local gun store, but I get around 2500-3000 loads from it. Again, cheaper in bulk (4-8 lb cans), but that's a lot of powder unless you're really happy with it and use quite a bit.

If you know anyone who reloads, ask if you can sit in on a session and see what's involved. It really shows how easy it is. The basic steps are: resize and deprime case; prime; load powder; seat bullet and crimp.[/QUOTE]

OK, current prices from reciepts in the last couple of weeks:

I just bought 5,000 primers at Cabela's in Hamburg, PA, (CCI500) for $26.00/1,000 + tax in the store. I buy Berry's 115g Plated RN bullets online freight paid for ~$90.00/1,000. I buy a pound of HS-6 locally for $28.00. I get 1,000 rounds of 9mmP out of a pound of powder. (A pound is 7,000 grains, I use 6.9grains per cartridge, you do the math). I just bought a 1,000 rounds of once fired Federal brass from BrassMan Brass for $51.00 freight included. The brass will be reused 8 to 10 times.

So the cost per cartridge for my 9mm practice rounds is about $0.005 for brass, $0.09 for the bullet, $0.028 for the primer, and .028 for the powder which totals to ~$0.151 or fifteen centa a round or $15.00/box of 100. This is about $10.00 a box less than the least expensive price I can find for 9mm WWB. Over the course of a year (several thousand rounds of 9mmP) saving ten cehts a bang adds up.

The savings on rifle ammunition are much much bigger than a dime a bang. When one gets to the big boomer stuff, like .300RUM, .338 Lapua, and bigger, the savings really add up fast, and reloading is almost the only way to get the accuracy out of those cartridges.

YMMV

Fitch

VIP Member
    I picked up some Berry's bullets along with some .223 bullets at Cabela's a few weeks ago when they had a 30% off sale on those items so now I'm all stocked up on supplies for a little while anyway!

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by punk rocka View Post
    Good choice! The RCBS kit is excellent. The Rock Chucker press will reload ammo till you can't pull the lever any more, and for two generations beyond that. I've never heard of anybody actually wearing one out. The Rock Chucker Supreme Kit comes comes with the Speer manual as I recall. Start from the front and read every page in it till you get to the reloading data. It's one of the best written texts there is on reloading basics. That would be the first 124 pages in my 13th edition of that manual. I read that before I did anything else. One of the best things I did when I started reloading.

Go online to all the powder company websites and order their free reloading guides. Unless, or until you get into rifle cartridges (a ton of fun to reload) you won't need many bullet company manuals. One exception might be the Hornady manual if you want to use some of their bullets, or Barnes for their totally excellent (but expensive) handgun bullets.

I don't think you got a set of check weights in that kit. If not, it's a very good idea to get a set of those. Not very expensive but they make sure your scale is reading right on.

Fitch

Good of you to start getting stocked up on the supplies.

VIP Member
    I wanted to take a quick moment and thank everyone that helped out and gave me some great advice. I'm up and reloading now and I'm really enjoying it. So far I've been playing with .223 and .40 rounds and I've probably loaded a hundred or so of each. It's been fun working each load up and seeing what the changes amount to on the range. Plus it's been a great reason to go shoot more!

Once again, thank you to everyone!

Sounds good! Enjoy!

I think I'll load a few rounds of 25-06 myself this weekend.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Sounds good! Enjoy!

I think I'll load a few rounds of 25-06 myself this weekend.
    The wife got me a brass tumbler for Christmas, so I'll be pretty busy myself! She totally saw through my suggestion that maybe we should let the kids open up a gift early! Ha! Can't blame me for trying!

Good luck with the rockchucker, cant hurt it! .25-06, man I havent reloaded for that in years, what a fun one! 52 gr of 4831 pushes a 100 gr ballistic tip or partition at over 3400 fps! WHACK, serious stuff...
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Also get the latest Lyman reloading Manuel and you are set, for Now.
    Glockman & others. I have just purchased the "Lyman reloading manual. In the .45 ACP recipe section it lists 2 primers at the front of the section - a Remington amd a CCI. In the footnotes the CcI is noted with a *. Does that mean the Remington is the recipe primer unless noted as CCI or that either will work unless noted.

I appreciate your input.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links