Talking about OLD powder!

This is a discussion on Talking about OLD powder! within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I know we have had discussions in the past about storing powder and using old powder. Well I've been working on loads for my wife's ...

Thread: Talking about OLD powder!

Talking about OLD powder!

I know we have had discussions in the past about storing powder and using old powder. Well I've been working on loads for my wife's elk rifle lately and it's been giving me fits. Best it was doing was in the 4 to 5 moa area no matter what. Was driving me nuts. BTW it's a Ruger 77 Mark II in 7mm WSM. Well was loading using both IMR 4350 and H4895 that were probably no more than 2 years old and it wasn't working. So I dug down in my reloading bench and pulled out the very old cans of IMR 4064 and 4320

These are at least 30+ years old if not 40. Well needless to say they helped solve some of my problems. The 4064 did the best and the groups were down to 1.75 moa or there abouts

So I guess it goes to show that powder properly stored will last for years and can even out perform newer powders.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

2. Remove Ads

That is good to know, as I was contemplating throwing away some old universal clays. Now I'll try it out, instead of unique.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    4064 worked very well in my .30-06 behind Sierra 165 grn BT Spiters. My REM 700 ADL can shoot under one inch at 100 yds ("I" may not). Sounds like something isn't right with your rifle with groups that wide.

Nice of you to point out how much powder has gone up. Gee ... thanks!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

when i worked at a gun shop people would bring in open box's of old powder they found in the house... we told them we would get rid of it for them...

usaly like 1/4 cans....

well i had 2 pounds of mixed powder in a ziplock bag.... i put it out in my fire pit with 6" of cannon fuse to light it off... i figured it would make a flame a foot or 2 tall....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...........

a freaking fire ball 5ft across or more... it was freaking awsum... i wish i had taped it and youtubed it....

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    4064 worked very well in my .30-06 behind Sierra 165 grn BT Spiters. My REM 700 ADL can shoot under one inch at 100 yds ("I" may not). Sounds like something isn't right with your rifle with groups that wide.

Nice of you to point out how much powder has gone up. Gee ... thanks!
    maybe not. I had a m77 ruger 270 that would not group better than 3 inches with the best factory loads and often 4 or more. I started a reloading project and after much trial and error, finally hit pay dirt with a healthy dose of 4064, 130 grain Speer boattail and I cantremember what primer. I was awarded with groups that measured .894 for a five shot group. Sometimes they can be very fincky for no obvious reason.

I think this gun will shoot better, it's just going to be one of those ones that needs some work to get it there. I see where it needs a little stock to barrel relieving, that may help somewhat. I don't want to put a lot of effort into these two old powders because at 50+ grains a pop these cans will be gone in short order. So as soon as elk season is over it will be starting over and going from there. As of now it's shooting good enough for the ranges we'll be using it for.

Hey Ring, what gun store in Ohio? I'm originally from Ohio and did a lot of shopping at Fin & Feather and Buckeye Outdoors.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

I agree that both the setup of the rifle and what it "likes" in the way of powder, bullet, etc can make a difference. One rifle may like a certain powder, another may not. Here's a couple targets from my Remington 721, 300H&H. The load is a Sierra 200gr SPBT over 62.6 gr of 4350 with a CCI 200. One is .562 the other is .625, velocity chrono'd at an avr of 2722fps.
    Attached Images
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    I think this gun will shoot better, it's just going to be one of those ones that needs some work to get it there. I see where it needs a little stock to barrel relieving, that may help somewhat. I don't want to put a lot of effort into these two old powders because at 50+ grains a pop these cans will be gone in short order. So as soon as elk season is over it will be starting over and going from there. As of now it's shooting good enough for the ranges we'll be using it for.

Hey Ring, what gun store in Ohio? I'm originally from Ohio and did a lot of shopping at Fin & Feather and Buckeye Outdoors.

B&T shooting, near 71 @ bagley , in middleburgh hts.

B&T shooting, near 71 @ bagley , in middleburgh hts.
    Not familiar with that one. A little far north and too close to Cleveland for me.

Links