Reloading Savings

Reloading Savings

This is a discussion on Reloading Savings within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; How much money do you end up saving on a box of 50 bullets? I currently buy a box of .45 ACP for 16.47. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reloading Savings

How much money do you end up saving on a box of 50 bullets?

I currently buy a box of .45 ACP for 16.47.

The number I'm coming up with for a box of reloads is about $13.

Are my numbers off?
    Do you make your rounds cheaper than what I'm coming up with?

What are your numbers based on? Once you have done enough to offset the initial costs, if you use bulk bullets you should get much cheaper than that. If you use premium designer bullets your costs will increase.

I was going off some from another thread. I believe OldVet gave some numbers as far as how far supplies go. I think bullets are what make the difference. Primers and Powder came to about .06 a round. The bullets were something closer to .20. I assume i could get it down to something more like .12. Can't find any bulk 230 grain though

Try Cabelas or google reloading components. I don't fool around reloading auto pistol ammo, but you should find lead bullets very cheap.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I was going off some from another thread. I believe OldVet gave some numbers as far as how far supplies go. I think bullets are what make the difference. Primers and Powder came to about .06 a round. The bullets were something closer to .20. I assume i could get it down to something more like .12. Can't find any bulk 230 grain though
    Midway USA has several 230 grain offerings at .15 to .18 cents per bullet if you buy the 500 round boxes.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...9015***7563***
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

If you can get used lead wheel weights from tire stores,get a bottom pour lead pot(about $50.00)Bullet molds,Lee has some six bullet molds for around 30.00 each at midway and cast and lube your own bullets.I have top of the line equipment and cast bullets for about .01 cents each,I reload a box of almost anything from 9mm to 44 magnum for around 5 to 6 cents a round.I buy powder and primers in quantity so I can spread shipping and hazmat fees out,when you buy 32 pounds of powder it costs about 12.00 to 13.00 a pound shipped 30.000 wolf primers cost me 20.00 1000 last time I bought them,they have gone up a few bucks since then
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If you can get used lead wheel weights from tire stores,get a bottom pour lead pot(about $50.00)Bullet molds,Lee has some six bullet molds for around 30.00 each at midway and cast and lube your own bullets.I have top of the line equipment and cast bullets for about .01 cents each,I reload a box of almost anything from 9mm to 44 magnum for around 5 to 6 cents a round.I buy powder and primers in quantity so I can spread shipping and hazmat fees out,when you buy 32 pounds of powder it costs about 12.00 to 13.00 a pound shipped 30.000 wolf primers cost me 20.00 1000 last time I bought them,they have gone up a few bucks since then
    Cast your own bullets and save big bucks.
    U.S. Army Veteran

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Are you looking for jacketed or lead bullets? Either are available in bulk online.

I bought 230 grain LRNs in lots of 100 first, to make sure they worked in my pistols and I was happy with them. Satisfied, I upped the next order to 500, which lowers the per/bullet cost. 500 doesn't last long, so 1000 is even cheaper per bullet. How many you order depends on how much reloading you intend to do and how much you want to save, but in reloading supplies and cost, more is less.

I've found most of the cast bullets costs are pretty close. I've used Meister and Penn, and will order from Missouri next to sample their product. The cost of all 3 are within a couple of dollars. Naturally, jacketed bullets will cost more, from any source.

I don't have the space available for reloading I once had (Fl houses don't have basements), so I limit the powder and primers I keep on hand. With both, bulk saves. Primers cost me $5/100. They are cheaper up front online with a bulk of 1000, but shipping and Haz Mat fees make it about the same as buying packs of 100 at the local GS.

It's difficult to say how much reloading will save anyone. It depends on the intial investment for the reloading equipment, how much supplies they buy, etc. I tell people to disregard the cost of the equipment. Either you want to reload or you don't--and the cost of the equipment is just that. It can be resold later, just as you can sell a car, etc. Your gun is an initial investment, but you don't figure the cost of it into the per shot equation.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You can get Berry's plated bullets for $135 shipped for 1000 pieces. The last primers I bought from my local guy were 40 bucks including tax a thousand (yea a little higher but he is also a customer), powder charge is 5 grs of 700 x, out of an 8 lb jug that is about 1.5 cents per load.

So added up that is 13.5 plus 4, plus 1.5 cents per load. (assuming you have brass). So total cost is 19 cents per load or 9.50 per box. A lot cheaper than purchasing factory in my book.

Sure if you have the space and extra time available, casting your own lead will save you lots more. I haven't done that yet as the plated bullets of Berrys or Raineer have worked perfectly well for practice ammo.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Are you looking for jacketed or lead bullets? Either are available in bulk online.

I bought 230 grain LRNs in lots of 100 first, to make sure they worked in my pistols and I was happy with them. Satisfied, I upped the next order to 500, which lowers the per/bullet cost. 500 doesn't last long, so 1000 is even cheaper per bullet. How many you order depends on how much reloading you intend to do and how much you want to save, but in reloading supplies and cost, more is less.

I've found most of the cast bullets costs are pretty close. I've used Meister and Penn, and will order from Missouri next to sample their product. The cost of all 3 are within a couple of dollars. Naturally, jacketed bullets will cost more, from any source.

I don't have the space available for reloading I once had (Fl houses don't have basements), so I limit the powder and primers I keep on hand. With both, bulk saves. Primers cost me $5/100. They are cheaper up front online with a bulk of 1000, but shipping and Haz Mat fees make it about the same as buying packs of 100 at the local GS.

It's difficult to say how much reloading will save anyone. It depends on the intial investment for the reloading equipment, how much supplies they buy, etc. I tell people to disregard the cost of the equipment. Either you want to reload or you don't--and the cost of the equipment is just that. It can be resold later, just as you can sell a car, etc. Your gun is an initial investment, but you don't figure the cost of it into the per shot equation.
    This is what its really all about. Handloading becomes an extension of your shooting enjoyment, knowledge and proficiency. I would not recommend starting with the sole thought of costing as my driver.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^
    Correctamundo! Savings are great, but the time I spend cranking out rounds on my single-stage press cost a lot less than what a shrink costs and is better therapy. I also enjoy cutomizing my loads and producing what the ammo companies don't or won't. Watching a group of 30-06 bullets shrink from 2"+ to under 1" by changing/adjusting powder powders and case COL is very satisfying. The results usually aren't as spectacular with handgun rounds, but enjoyable just the same. Much of my case prep (not loading) is done while watching TV, so it really doesn't take up that much time.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It seems like a good activity I can use to get away from the lady of the house. That alone could be worth the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    It seems like a good activity I can use to get away from the lady of the house. That alone could be worth the investment.
    Works for me quite often...
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Zeppelin as has been stated here before, best watch out , reloading becomes almost, if not as addictive as shooting. I really enjoy my hours spent over a lead pot and molds and even the lube sizer . And there is nothing in this world like making your rounds hit where you want that you hand rolled. I am not sure that money can really be saved , as you will always be wanting more and more toys, and shooting more and more .... partly to get more brass to reload ... such is the addiction.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    ^
    Correctamundo! Savings are great, but the time I spend cranking out rounds on my single-stage press cost a lot less than what a shrink costs and is better therapy. I also enjoy cutomizing my loads and producing what the ammo companies don't or won't. Watching a group of 30-06 bullets shrink from 2"+ to under 1" by changing/adjusting powder powders and case COL is very satisfying. The results usually aren't as spectacular with handgun rounds, but enjoyable just the same. Much of my case prep (not loading) is done while watching TV, so it really doesn't take up that much time.
    I really like what you said about ammo companies not producing or they wont. Thats why I reload. A 20 or 25 round box of 38 special defensive ammo for 28 bucks? Thats ridiculous. Plus you can turn a 30 06 into a squirrel rifle, or change it up and hunt grizzly. And like Mauser said, it becomes its own hobby. You roll your own, shoot your own, customed to your likes and needs. Cant beat that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links