Defensive Carry banner

Reloading Savings

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  tkirk 
#1 ·
How much money do you end up saving on a box of 50 bullets?

I currently buy a box of .45 ACP for 16.47.

The number I'm coming up with for a box of reloads is about $13.

Are my numbers off?
Do you make your rounds cheaper than what I'm coming up with?

#2 ·
What are your numbers based on? Once you have done enough to offset the initial costs, if you use bulk bullets you should get much cheaper than that. If you use premium designer bullets your costs will increase.

#3 ·
I was going off some from another thread. I believe OldVet gave some numbers as far as how far supplies go. I think bullets are what make the difference. Primers and Powder came to about .06 a round. The bullets were something closer to .20. I assume i could get it down to something more like .12. Can't find any bulk 230 grain though

#6 ·
If you can get used lead wheel weights from tire stores,get a bottom pour lead pot(about $50.00)Bullet molds,Lee has some six bullet molds for around 30.00 each at midway and cast and lube your own bullets.I have top of the line equipment and cast bullets for about .01 cents each,I reload a box of almost anything from 9mm to 44 magnum for around 5 to 6 cents a round.I buy powder and primers in quantity so I can spread shipping and hazmat fees out,when you buy 32 pounds of powder it costs about 12.00 to 13.00 a pound shipped 30.000 wolf primers cost me 20.00 1000 last time I bought them,they have gone up a few bucks since then

#8 ·
Are you looking for jacketed or lead bullets? Either are available in bulk online.

I bought 230 grain LRNs in lots of 100 first, to make sure they worked in my pistols and I was happy with them. Satisfied, I upped the next order to 500, which lowers the per/bullet cost. 500 doesn't last long, so 1000 is even cheaper per bullet. How many you order depends on how much reloading you intend to do and how much you want to save, but in reloading supplies and cost, more is less.

I've found most of the cast bullets costs are pretty close. I've used Meister and Penn, and will order from Missouri next to sample their product. The cost of all 3 are within a couple of dollars. Naturally, jacketed bullets will cost more, from any source.

I don't have the space available for reloading I once had (Fl houses don't have basements), so I limit the powder and primers I keep on hand. With both, bulk saves. Primers cost me $5/100. They are cheaper up front online with a bulk of 1000, but shipping and Haz Mat fees make it about the same as buying packs of 100 at the local GS.

It's difficult to say how much reloading will save anyone. It depends on the intial investment for the reloading equipment, how much supplies they buy, etc. I tell people to disregard the cost of the equipment. Either you want to reload or you don't--and the cost of the equipment is just that. It can be resold later, just as you can sell a car, etc. Your gun is an initial investment, but you don't figure the cost of it into the per shot equation.

#10 ·
Are you looking for jacketed or lead bullets? Either are available in bulk online.

I bought 230 grain LRNs in lots of 100 first, to make sure they worked in my pistols and I was happy with them. Satisfied, I upped the next order to 500, which lowers the per/bullet cost. 500 doesn't last long, so 1000 is even cheaper per bullet. How many you order depends on how much reloading you intend to do and how much you want to save, but in reloading supplies and cost, more is less.

I've found most of the cast bullets costs are pretty close. I've used Meister and Penn, and will order from Missouri next to sample their product. The cost of all 3 are within a couple of dollars. Naturally, jacketed bullets will cost more, from any source.

I don't have the space available for reloading I once had (Fl houses don't have basements), so I limit the powder and primers I keep on hand. With both, bulk saves. Primers cost me $5/100. They are cheaper up front online with a bulk of 1000, but shipping and Haz Mat fees make it about the same as buying packs of 100 at the local GS.

It's difficult to say how much reloading will save anyone. It depends on the intial investment for the reloading equipment, how much supplies they buy, etc. I tell people to disregard the cost of the equipment. Either you want to reload or you don't--and the cost of the equipment is just that. It can be resold later, just as you can sell a car, etc. Your gun is an initial investment, but you don't figure the cost of it into the per shot equation.
This is what its really all about. Handloading becomes an extension of your shooting enjoyment, knowledge and proficiency. I would not recommend starting with the sole thought of costing as my driver.

#9 ·
You can get Berry's plated bullets for $135 shipped for 1000 pieces. The last primers I bought from my local guy were 40 bucks including tax a thousand (yea a little higher but he is also a customer), powder charge is 5 grs of 700 x, out of an 8 lb jug that is about 1.5 cents per load.

So added up that is 13.5 plus 4, plus 1.5 cents per load. (assuming you have brass). So total cost is 19 cents per load or 9.50 per box. A lot cheaper than purchasing factory in my book.

Sure if you have the space and extra time available, casting your own lead will save you lots more. I haven't done that yet as the plated bullets of Berrys or Raineer have worked perfectly well for practice ammo.

#11 ·
^
Correctamundo! Savings are great, but the time I spend cranking out rounds on my single-stage press cost a lot less than what a shrink costs and is better therapy. I also enjoy cutomizing my loads and producing what the ammo companies don't or won't. Watching a group of 30-06 bullets shrink from 2"+ to under 1" by changing/adjusting powder powders and case COL is very satisfying. The results usually aren't as spectacular with handgun rounds, but enjoyable just the same. Much of my case prep (not loading) is done while watching TV, so it really doesn't take up that much time.

#15 ·
I really like what you said about ammo companies not producing or they wont. Thats why I reload. A 20 or 25 round box of 38 special defensive ammo for 28 bucks? Thats ridiculous. Plus you can turn a 30 06 into a squirrel rifle, or change it up and hunt grizzly. And like Mauser said, it becomes its own hobby. You roll your own, shoot your own, customed to your likes and needs. Cant beat that!

#14 ·
Zeppelin as has been stated here before, best watch out , reloading becomes almost, if not as addictive as shooting. I really enjoy my hours spent over a lead pot and molds and even the lube sizer . And there is nothing in this world like making your rounds hit where you want that you hand rolled. I am not sure that money can really be saved , as you will always be wanting more and more toys, and shooting more and more .... partly to get more brass to reload ... such is the addiction.

#17 ·
As others have opined, bulk purchases of projectiles is the way to go, as they will be the most expensive component. You will be hard pressed to get your total reloading cost per 50 rounds of .45 ACP below $10.00 bucks...that's what I am currently expending to reload .45 ACP 230 grain FMJ....it will be slightly less, $9.50 per 50 rounds, if you utilize 185 grain JHP. The real savings in the long term will be observed by the life-expendency of your brass......the better the quality of brass will enhance the number of times each piece is serviceable.

I have found that Speer (CCI), Norma, and Remington brass to be exceptional, especially in .38/.357 & .44Special/.44 Mag. I have brass circa 1976 that has been reloaded 16-18 times, most with full house, Max Load "Rhino Rollers" with few case failures. 90% of my primer pockets are still tight, and those whose pockets have lossened up a bit, I can still load .38 Special & .44 Special plinking loads for training fun. Unfortunately, I have not been as successful with Remington, Speer & Norma .45 ACP Brass......usually can only get 8-10 reloads per case....but it is one heck of a lot better than some of the junk brass now provided by Federal, Winchester, PMC, Wolf, Fiocci, and others. I am lucky if I can get 3-5 reloadings before case failure. Once upon a time....when quality meant something & economic profits could be realized without gouging the flock!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.