IDPA compliant 115g Berry's plated round nose load for Glock 26.

This is a discussion on IDPA compliant 115g Berry's plated round nose load for Glock 26. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I spent some time working up an IDPA power floor compliant 115g Berry's plated round nose bullet load for my Glock 26. There are no ...

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

I spent some time working up an IDPA power floor compliant 115g Berry's plated round nose bullet load for my Glock 26. There are no references on Berry's bullets other than don't load them over 1200 fps max. So I wanted a load that was under 1200 with the Glock 19 and over 1087 enough to have a little margin with the Glock 26. That is I wanted to be over 1087 fps by at least the SD of the load in the 26.

Because Berry's doesn't publish a load manual for their bullets, ther is no "reference" source dedicated to those bullets. So I developed the load using data from several sources. The sources were QuickLoad (an internal ballistics simulation program I've used for years for rifle and handgun ammo), the AmmoGuide online website I subscribe to, with comparisons to loads for 115g round nose jacketed bullets in loading manuals.

The basics: All loading done on a Dillon 550B. Charge weights checked against checkweights on a Ohaus 10-10 scale. I used once fired Federal brass, CCI500 primers, and Berry's 115g plated round nose bullets seated at 1.140" COL for all experiments, only the powder changed.

I didn't have much luck with HS-6 which had been my go-to powder for 9mm in the glock 19 so I tried VihtaVouri N-350 based on some data from Ammoguide. I simulated the loads in QuickLoad and compared them with reloading manuals before proceeding. I started with 5.9 grains, steped up to 6.1grains, and then 6.3 grains. The results at 6.3 grains work just fine.

The muzzle velocities statistics (CED M1 Chronograph, 50F ambient temperature) from 20 rounds of the selected 6.3g of N-350 powder charge in each gun were as follows:

Glock 19: 1,172 fps, SD of 27.
    Glock 26: 1,105 fps, SD of 14.

My screening test was doine with 5 rounds per pistol, the selected load was put through the final test shooting 20 rounds through each pistol. Both guns cycled with 100% reliability with all the test ammo, no problems with any of the rounds fired from each gun through the Chronograph.

These loads worked in my two Glocks, you need to do your own research and start low and work up in your gun what ever it is.

Fitch

PS: Please don't tell me Glock says don't shoot reloads, I already know that. And I'm not shooting unplated lead. I get zero lead build up shooting the plated bullets.

Please don't predict goloom and doom because I do shoot reloads. I've been shooting reloads in my Glock 19 since the year after I bought it - thousands of rounds by now. I only know one person shooting IDPA that shoots or practices with factory ammo in his glock and that's because he doesn't have time to reload. I know people shooting Glocks in IDPA, and Action Pistol that burn through 2,000 rounds and a recoil spring a month year around practicing, every single one of which is a reload. It's a laywer thing, not anything related to physics.

frw

Just FYI, contact the powder companies. They probably have tested loads w/ your components or at least give you a very educated guess on where to go/ do. I had some weird weight Magtech plated rounds that the guys at Hodgkins' were able to help me with. 913-362-9455.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    Just FYI, contact the powder companies. They probably have tested loads w/ your components or at least give you a very educated guess on where to go/ do. I had some weird weight Magtech plated rounds that the guys at Hodgkins' were able to help me with. 913-362-9455.
    That's an excellent suggestion. I agree and routinely do that - I have all the powder company manuals I can get. One of my references was the VihtaVuori reloading guide that shows 6.4g of N-350 as the max load for the 115g Rainier plated round nose bullet which isn't the Berry's bullet but it is essentially the same as the Berry's I'm using. It's closer than the normal brand name FMJ round nose bullets anyway. The data on AmmoGuide appears to be copied directly from the VV reloading guide. Anyway, their data is one of the reasons I stayed under 6.4g.

My measured velocity numbers are quite a bit lower than theirs even though the Glock 19 barrel is longer than their test barrel. For example, at 5.7g they show 1195 fps out of a 4" barrel. At 5.9g I measured 1068fps out of a 4.25" barrel. That seems like a large difference to me. I suspect their test barrel has a tighter chamber than the Glock which might explain at least some of the difference. They might have been at a higher ambient temperature and using different brass as well, but it is more difference than I'm used to seeing. My QuickLoad models were closer to what I measured - 1068 measured, 1,147 from QuickLoad. This isn't the first time I've seen QuickLoad make better velocity predictions than the load manuals - with some powders in my varmint rifles QuickLoad will be within +/- 50 ft/sec.

Fitch

Links