Help Identify OLD Lyman Vibrator

This is a discussion on Help Identify OLD Lyman Vibrator within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I saw this covered in dust and rattling with broken pieces inside, so of course I gave the guy $10 and brought it home. I'm ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OldLincoln
  • 1 Post By dben002

Thread: Help Identify OLD Lyman Vibrator

Help Identify OLD Lyman Vibrator

I saw this covered in dust and rattling with broken pieces inside, so of course I gave the guy $10 and brought it home. I'm just getting started, anticipating very low volumes and thought it's a cheap way to get started.

I patched it up a little and will firm it up this weekend, but I don't know anything about it other than Lyman doesn't show it on their web site and it doesn't Google.

If you recognize it, please tell me how well it works, is there supposed to be a lid, and anything else.

Thank you all very much and have a great Thanksgiving.

2. Remove Ads

Got a reply from a guy who has one. Said it is called the "Lyman Tubby Tumbler", came with a clear plastic lid, and vibrates the screws loose. Looks like it came out in 1992. I'll have to fashion a lid and use locktite. I expect it to work fine.

UPDATE:

I toughened up the little Tubby with a 3/16" threaded rod across the front where it was separated and a couple other spots. It runs great, nice and quiet without excessive shaking, doesn't even walk on the work bench top. I just cleaned a batch of 65 45ACP casings in corn plus a dash of Brasso and after 4 hours they look new.

Another poster said don't sell these short as he used one for years and was happy with it. Looks like I'm off to a good start for a $10 tumbler.
    QKShooter likes this.

I have one of these

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    UPDATE:

I toughened up the little Tubby with a 3/16" threaded rod across the front where it was separated and a couple other spots. It runs great, nice and quiet without excessive shaking, doesn't even walk on the work bench top. I just cleaned a batch of 65 45ACP casings in corn plus a dash of Brasso and after 4 hours they look new.

Another poster said don't sell these short as he used one for years and was happy with it. Looks like I'm off to a good start for a $10 tumbler.
    I have one of these and it works great for low volume. As I only load a few dozen at at time, it's perfect.

I've had mine for over 15 years and never had a problem. except for the rubber parts that hold the clear plexiglass lid on. Now I just use binder clips.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Just goes to show you how dumb I am....Had I purchased that for 10 bucks I would have been highly upset when I found out it would not pick up the trash on the carpet in my car.......
    Arborigine likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I would reconsider using Brasso on cartridge cases. Use reloading specific polishes or a dash of mineral spirits. Unless you want a high shine you don't need any polish at all.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I use Nu-finish car polish(Wal-Mart). DO NOT use the Nu-finish car WAX ! Use the POLISH. One cap full will do it for each time you use the tumbler. Also throw in a dryer sheet to collect a lot of the crud.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLoader View Post
    I have one of these and it works great for low volume. As I only load a few dozen at at time, it's perfect.

I've had mine for over 15 years and never had a problem. except for the rubber parts that hold the clear plexiglass lid on. Now I just use binder clips.
    That's EXACTLY what I use. Right now I only have about 100 to punch and clean but recently did 3,500 45ACP cases about 75 at a time. When I do that I feel guilty like when I ran my horse too hard or drove my first car too fast. I talk sweet to it but it always replies "You're going to hell for this!" If I shot more I'd get a new one but don't normally shoot over 100 per month.

Links