auto comp

This is a discussion on auto comp within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; does anyone here use winchester auto comp powder? this is the only powder ive ever used i just started reloading. it seems real dirty to ...

Thread: auto comp

auto comp

does anyone here use winchester auto comp powder? this is the only powder ive ever used i just started reloading. it seems real dirty to me. but like i said this is the only powder ive ever used so i dont know how dirty other powders are. so i guess im askin is this a bad choice or am i just bein pickeyy??
    glock 26- crossbreed ST
    SA micro compact 1911-crossbreed ST
    S&W m&p 9 crossbreed ST
    S&W bodygaurd 380
    S&W M&P15-eotech

2. Remove Ads

AutoComp does best when loaded to pressure. The noncanister name is SMP 242. If you follow Hodgdon's manual you won't be very impressed. You will have to load it to pressure not charge weight to see good results.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    AutoComp does best when loaded to pressure. The noncanister name is SMP 242. If you follow Hodgdon's manual you won't be very impressed. You will have to load it to pressure not charge weight to see good results.
    so are u sayin this isnt a good choice of powder?? if its not what can u recomend?? thanks
    glock 26- crossbreed ST
    S&W m&p 9 crossbreed ST
    S&W bodygaurd 380
    S&W M&P15-eotech

As a nubee, probably not. What are you loading it for? What bullet weights are you using? I started out w/ Unique, an all around powder. You can load most handgun cartridges w/ it as well as several shotgun loads. It's on the dirty side, but I clean after each range visit, so what? If you are looking to craft a particular load to a caliber/ bullet/ velocity, etc., we need that info to help guide you.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    As a nubee, probably not. What are you loading it for? What bullet weights are you using? I started out w/ Unique, an all around powder. You can load most handgun cartridges w/ it as well as several shotgun loads. It's on the dirty side, but I clean after each range visit, so what? If you are looking to craft a particular load to a caliber/ bullet/ velocity, etc., we need that info to help guide you.
    i am using it in for 9mm and .45, i clean after every range sesion i was just wondering if this seemed dirtier to others than a better powder or was this a good choice? i am laoding just for target practice so nothin seriouse like any matches but i do want it to be as accurate as possible, ive palyed around on the loads but i cant seem to find the right one for 9mm i just cant seem to get it accurate. but for the .45 it seems quiet well and i think ive found the right combo for it. but heres what im currently loading

9mm- 147grn lead rn .34cc of auto comp, oal 1.116
    .45- 200grn lead swc .43cc of auto comp, oal 1.160

and also would this be a good powder for .223? thanks alot
    glock 26- crossbreed ST
    S&W m&p 9 crossbreed ST
    S&W bodygaurd 380
    S&W M&P15-eotech

I was using "Unique" until powder and primers started drying up,found that "American Select" would be a good powder for all my pistol loads.I know a lot of people use "Bullseye" also
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links